Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Was due to be flying to NYC on the 6th April, back on the 14th with the middle weekend in Toronto. Hopefully the announcement this afternoon means we can get the flights refunded. Virgin Atlantic are saying you can reschedule flights free of charge but we need to get in touch with the third party website we booked through - they don’t have a phone line - might be easier to just claim the money back and rebook new flights for the summer (if it’ll even be alright to fly then)

Something that's driving me mad is anyone criticising the govt approach is being told "They're flattening the curve! You don't understand! Listen to their presentation! It's very clever!"

No, by our own admission, we are flattening the curve more gently than any other country. Our plan is to half-flatten it, with a view to preventing a second peak later in the year. Genuinely flattening the curve now is what South Korea did.

(It might work btw. Perhaps we've used the extra time we have on Italy, etc. to improve hospital capacity, medical training, etc. to maximise the efficiency of our response when disaster hits. I'm not doubting that. But it's frustrating to hear people claim that "flattening the curve" is the distinctive feature of the British response, when all responses are designed to flatten the curve to a greater or lesser extent. The control case is zero intervention, which won't happen anywhere, even in the third world.)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

From today I am going to put my mom into isolation for however long it takes. She is 75 no underlying health conditions but I feel it is not worth the risk of her still going out and interacting with anyone other than me, my wife and eldest daughter who will ensure we don't come into close contact with her and get anything on surfaces in her house etc. Anyone else already doing this with elderly relatives or those with underlying health conditions?

Yup.

Done it for myself and for the Mother In Law ( we’ve only 1 surviving parent between 2 of us).

Im going nowhere. She will walk in her local park, that’s all.

Same for both houses..

Systems in place for deliveries, packages, food packaging. Procedure for showering and changing after going out.....only other close family allowed in....they’ve all got the idea re what to do on arrival.

Whole house been disinfected, First Aid kits checked, candles etc.

Mobile phone ‘ policy’....they are germ collectors so need to be treated carefully.

Just in case. It’ll soon be second nature, and hopefully soon become redundant. But worth being a bit excessive rather than regrets later.

Good luck Mark 👍

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Something that's driving me mad is anyone criticising the govt approach is being told "They're flattening the curve! You don't understand! Listen to their presentation! It's very clever!"

No, by our own admission, we are flattening the curve more gently than any other country. Our plan is to half-flatten it, with a view to preventing a second peak later in the year. Genuinely flattening the curve now is what South Korea did.

(It might work btw. Perhaps we've used the extra time we have on Italy, etc. to improve hospital capacity, medical training, etc. to maximise the efficiency of our response when disaster hits. I'm not doubting that. But it's frustrating to hear people claim that "flattening the curve" is the distinctive feature of the British response, when all responses are designed to flatten the curve to a greater or lesser extent. The control case is zero intervention, which won't happen anywhere, even in the third world.)

Totally, flattening the curve means containment, testing, tracking etc. The herd immunity bullshit is reckless and playing with people's lives. The idea that they are reducing a second peak by allowing the virus to infect (kill) more people first is just insane. 

I’ve been on it for two weeks.

Digested CNN, read all the research, the lot. Chose the time for family info...got the doubters on board. Everyone knows what to do.

With luck, warm weather, and the self care many  people are taking we might keep it on the best case side.

The panic buying will pass as supplies reappear, some rationing is brought in, and people get over the shock. There is lots of evidence from many past traumatic events in many places to suggest on the whole a disciplined calm will set in at some point.

As people get sick, then well, there will be a growing immune population to help out.

Its deadly serious, but not the plague.

Ive 2 kids and a Son In Law in the forces. There’s a lot of preparations underway to alleviate the problems. ( I’ve no idea what).

Italy doesn’t have to be typical.

Im now moving into “ good mental health” stage.....there’s nothing more to be achieved, and constantly reading and looking at the topic can no longer add anything beneficial.  I hope in time most feel that way and speculation and extreme cases get less ‘unnecessary’ circulation.

So that’s me done with news, newspapers, the lot. I’ll keep VT open, but I’ll read very little now. I post this on the off chance it might help one person formulate their thinking. Sorry I’ve gone on. Good luck All 👍

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Say one thing, mean another. They absolutely are not looking like flattening the curve

Just remember that come election time and tell everyone you know how they deliberately killed an unnecessary amount of people during the pandemic because of their policies, which were deliberate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Say one thing, mean another. They absolutely are not looking like flattening the curve

Just remember that come election time and tell everyone you know how they deliberately killed an unnecessary amount of people during the pandemic because of their policies, which were deliberate

That'll definitely make a difference to voting.

*thunderbirdslaughinggif*

4 hours ago, leighavfc said:

Anyone braved the shops today? How they looking?

Ridiculous.

Tesco in Cradley, no tins, no bog roll, no soap, limited vitamins, limited paracetamol. No **** porridge oats.. of all things.. 

You want meat and fresh fruit and veg though and there’s loads 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Calpol, and part-baked bread as well. 

Yet amazingly everyone is over looking pot noddles one of the easiest food stuffs to “cook”

I blame bake off , everyone is getting far to creative with cooking these days 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

season 13 GIF

58 minutes ago, chappy said:

Was due to be flying to NYC on the 6th April, back on the 14th with the middle weekend in Toronto. Hopefully the announcement this afternoon means we can get the flights refunded. Virgin Atlantic are saying you can reschedule flights free of charge but we need to get in touch with the third party website we booked through - they don’t have a phone line - might be easier to just claim the money back and rebook new flights for the summer (if it’ll even be alright to fly then)

Might be worth a call to your credit card company, they may be able to shortcut the process.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’ve been on it for two weeks.

Digested CNN, read all the research, the lot. Chose the time for family info...got the doubters on board. Everyone knows what to do.

Would love to know how you pulled that off. Got my Mum (early 70’s with COPD) squared away easily enough several weeks ago. Problem is she lives with my sister, a pub landlady just coming out of a 5 yr battle with leukaemia and determined to push through the outbreak like it’s not happening. 

Pointed out the logical flaw in this plan which caused a massive row, now I’m the bad guy - because feelings. 

They’re driving me up the wall, my sister flat out refuses to see reason and she could kill them both through pure pig-headedness. 

• Like 3

Came back from Disneyland Paris yesterday (luckily we beat the closure of the park with immediate effect starting today). Absolutely crazy the amount of people about. We usually go March time as it tends to be a little quieter but this was the easily the busiest we've seen it. Whether it had anything to do with the French/Spanish kids already being off school I don't know. Absolute minefield for it to spread.

Italy on lock down and Spain and France about to do likewise whilst we have gone as far as advising old people not to go on a cruise and are about to stop gatherings of 500 or more. Something seriously not right here with our lack of action. If we are ahead of the game in terms of when we had first case/how many cases we have now compared to where Italy/Spain/France are then why don't we try to stay ahead of the game by taking action now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Awol said:

Would love to know how you pulled that off. Got my Mum (early 70’s with COPD) squared away easily enough several weeks ago. Problem is she lives with my sister, a pub landlady just coming out of a 5 yr battle with leukaemia and determined to push through the outbreak like it’s not happening. 

Pointed out the logical flaw in this plan which caused a massive row, now I’m the bad guy - because feelings. 

They’re driving me up the wall, my sister flat out refuses to see reason and she could kill them both through pure pig-headedness. 

I genuinely feel for you. My mom is 75 and lives with/looks after my 51 year old brother who is autistic/has mental health issues and due to the medication he has had to take over the years has now got kidney function issues. I went and seen them today and said you have to self isolate now. Me, my wife and eldest daughter will do all shopping etc. Thought penny had dropped. Then she says I have to take your brother to the drs on Tuesday for blood test results, so said i'll do it or better still we'll use that great new invention the phone and chat to GP on that. Then I said it means you can't go to ASDA to do your big shop this Thursday and she smiled as if to say not sure I can miss my big shop. I was going to take her car keys from her but my wife said I shouldn't as you can't stop her going out if she is determined. It is so frustrating. I am hoping the penny dropped but unconvinced. I think this is where Government need to step in and be clear older people/those with health issues should not be going out now unless completely essential.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MCU said:

Came back from Disneyland Paris yesterday (luckily we beat the closure of the park with immediate effect starting today). Absolutely crazy the amount of people about. We usually go March time as it tends to be a little quieter but this was the easily the busiest we've seen it. Whether it had anything to do with the French/Spanish kids already being off school I don't know. Absolute minefield for it to spread.

Well being as there's already been a case amongst the staff a week or so ago....

Just now, bickster said:

Well being as there's already been a case amongst the staff a week or so ago....

A case of feeling mildly under the weather? I guess they have about 5000+ staff members. 

Just now, Genie said:

A case of feeling mildly under the weather? I guess they have about 5000+ staff members. 

No a confirmed CV19 case. It was in one of the behind the scenes staff members though

Â