Generic Virus Thread

villakram

UK Govt U turn number 654391

The NHS Covid-19 app in England and Wales is being tweaked so fewer contacts will be advised to self-isolate following a close contact with a positive case.

The app will look for contacts two days prior, rather than five, when someone without symptoms tests positive.

BBC

On 31/07/2021 at 21:32, sidcow said:

I am still amazed that Europe hasn't suffered more from this Delta variant. It doesn't seem to have ripped through anything like as badly as I thought, though USA seems to be getting hit by it now. 

I wonder if the different vaccine brands has anything to do with it? 

The UK has mainly used AZ but the EU has mainly used mRNA vaccines which I think are more effective against delta, particularly after just one dose.

Just now, LondonLax said:

I wonder if the different vaccine brands has anything to do with it? 

The UK has mainly used AZ but the EU has mainly used mRNA vaccines which I think are more effective against delta, particularly after just one dose.

They seem a little more effective but that's at how ill you get, not stopping it being passed on. And it's only fractions difference anyway, and advantage of those should be overwhelmed by the actual vaccination numbers difference. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They seem a little more effective but that's at how ill you get, not stopping it being passed on. And it's only fractions difference anyway, and advantage of those should be overwhelmed by the actual vaccination numbers difference. 

The EU has mostly caught up with the UK on vacation numbers now (in fact I think a few countries like Spain have overtaken the UK). 

From what I saw Pfizer gives about 90% protection against symptoms two weeks after the first dose but AZ only gives about 65%. That could be one part of the difference in numbers presenting with the virus?

Strange night tonight, we’re away and spent the evening in the “show bar” Usual kids disco, bingo, a tribute act and then some x-factor nobody… the place was PACKED. The dance floor, the tables, the bar, all full. 
Crazy to think it’s been years since me and most others have experienced anything like that. Completely old school “normal”.

Not sure why but I've been a bit anxious recently with catching covid as I have some important dates coming up over the next couple of weeks (stag do, birthdays).

Went to the cinema last night and was sat next to someone constantly sniffing throughout the film. Probably nothing but shitting myself a little bit.

Edited by MCU

Anyone had any luck with walk in vaccinations? I'm booked next Wednesday for my 2nd jab but I actually have nothing going on for the next couple days so if I'm unlucky enough to get side effects I can just ride it out at home.

After a quick search on the NHS website there's a methodist church is stourbridge that offers dose 1 and 2 of Pfizer. As daft as it sounds, can I literally just walk in and get it done?

12 minutes ago, MCU said:

Not sure why but I've been a bit anxious recently with catching covid as I have some important dates coming up over the next couple of weeks (stag do, birthdays).

Went to the cinema last night and was sat next to someone constantly sniffing throughout the film. Probably nothing but shitting myself a little bit.

I’ve mentioned a few times I’m currently on holiday in a world that Covid forgot. Absolutely no mask wearing or social distance. 5 days in I’m pleasantly surprised none of us have symptoms.

A mate of mine is on holiday just round the coast and he says most people wearing masks as they move through indoor spaces. I’ve seen about 5 masks all week.

This town seems to be the holiday destination of choice of Londoners, could be something to do with this? Are they more risk tolerant than the rest of the country? I dunno.

@Rugeley Villa what’s it’s like up in the North Wales holiday park?

1 minute ago, MCU said:

Anyone had any luck with walk in vaccinations? I'm booked next Wednesday for my 2nd jab but I actually have nothing going on for the next couple days so if I'm unlucky enough to get side effects I can just ride it out at home.

After a quick search on the NHS website there's a methodist church is stourbridge that offers dose 1 and 2 of Pfizer. As daft as it sounds, can I literally just walk in and get it done?

Yes, I did that. You’ll just have to fill in your details on a sheet so they can update your NHS record.

Then cancel your existing appointment.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve mentioned a few times I’m currently on holiday in a world that Covid forgot. Absolutely no mask wearing or social distance. 5 days in I’m pleasantly surprised none of us have symptoms.

A mate of mine is on holiday just round the coast and he says most people wearing masks as they move through indoor spaces. I’ve seen about 5 masks all week.

This town seems to be the holiday destination of choice of Londoners, could be something to do with this? Are they more risk tolerant than the rest of the country? I dunno.

@Rugeley Villa what’s it’s like up in the North Wales holiday park?

We are in South Wales. Whilst walking around indoors most are wearing masks, although as the week has progressed more are not wearing them. We booked 7 nights so obviously a lot coming and going in that time and people being more relaxed as they settle into their holiday. There’s not much social distancing, mind. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MCU said:

It’s natural mate. The bloke I work with was coughing all last week and I was thinking, great. I’ve had the sniffles all week. Our brains are being programmed towards Covid now, which again is just a natural reaction to the times. 

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

Must be quite specific to this area then. I guess there’s a tipping point where so few wear masks you look the odd one by wearing one, so people don’t bother.

Where are you? I’ve got no problem wearing mine. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Where are you? I’ve got no problem wearing mine. 

Clacton on sea, it seems to be mainly the location of choice of east Landoners.

In the holiday park and in the town, mask wearing is <1%

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Clacton on sea, it seems to be mainly the location of choice of east Landoners.

In the holiday park and in the town, mask wearing is <1%

Not good is it. I mean, I’m not sure how well masks are helping, but does it hurt to just put it on when indoors. 

• Like 1

Â