Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I had AZ yesterday, no way am I sleeping tonight, had it at 11am,fever started around 10pm, headache kicked in around midnight, the main problem is my head is **** tap dancing, it's going at a million miles an hour, I'm out here solving quantum physics problems in my head, having full blown conversations with myself, I can't settle and I'm fidgeting like mad

Wife had biontech and has a sore arm... 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Get this guy, getting fussy now. 

I was just curious if it was 

1) Different vaccines hence different results or

2) Same vaccines working quite differently in 2 people.

I am happy with what ever is supplied, although I think I’ll get Pfizer or Moderna (if available) based on the previous press releases for under 40’s.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Did my UK Biobank antibody test last night - positive. I have antibodies.  :)

The wife's tested negative.  :(

My Dad tested negative for antibodies after 2 doses.  I can't help but wonder how accurate these tests are.   It seems highly odd that you can have  doses of a tried and tested vaccine and have nothing.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Did you both have AZ?

Yes. This from the email: 

If you have been vaccinated, please do not be concerned if you get a negative antibody result since about two-thirds of vaccinated participants do get a negative test result.  This is because:

the antibody levels are typically lower after vaccination than after natural infection; and
the test gives a 'positive' result only when the antibody level in the blood is high.
However, the vaccines have been shown to provide substantial protection from the virus after about 10 days even when antibody levels are below the detectable range of this test kit.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

As far as I can understand it, vaccine protection and natural antibody protection are two different things. You may or may not have antibodies (their presence possibly due to a previous covid infection). The vaccine provides a different form of protection, it doesn't create new antibodies (although it may stimulate an antibody response). I think. 

My wife's situation is more complex, in that her rheumatoid arthritis causes an overactive immune system, and she takes an immunosuppressant drug (methotrexate) to counter this. What the implications are, vis a vis covid, nobody really knows. 

I had my antibody test back this morning, 201 U/mL, which is positive but quite low from what I understand. I've had two vaccine doses, last one in March. I too take immunosuppressants, Azathioprine and Entyvio and they've inhibited my body's response to the vaccine.

However, from what I gather we shouldn't be basing how effectively we're 'immune' to Covid based on the antibody level alone. T cells will offer us some level of protection too.

There has been no official standard or recommended level given yet as to what level the antibodies should be that would give us a safe level of protection against Covid. There are studies still ongoing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I had AZ yesterday, no way am I sleeping tonight, had it at 11am,fever started around 10pm, headache kicked in around midnight, the main problem is my head is **** tap dancing, it's going at a million miles an hour, I'm out here solving quantum physics problems in my head, having full blown conversations with myself, I can't settle and I'm fidgeting like mad

Yep me last Thursday, felt rubbish Friday and Saturday and even on Sunday I was fine to walk around but bailed on an attempt to run after half a mile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Did my UK Biobank antibody test last night - positive. I have antibodies.  :)

The wife's tested negative.  :(

I'm not sure how good those tests are. I've heard other people say they've come back negative after vaccinations. It doesn't match up with trial data.

edit: should have carried on reading the thread before replying :) 

Edited by darrenm

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

giphy.gif

I had AZ and I feel as though they must have given me a duff dose as I had practically no reaction!

Loads of work colleagues were ill in bed after an AZ jab. Me? My legs were a bit sore for a few hours! 

Just now, Xela said:

giphy.gif

I had AZ and I feel as though they must have given me a duff dose as I had practically no reaction!

Loads of work colleagues were ill in bed after an AZ jab. Me? My legs were a bit sore for a few hours! 

Yeah that gif is perfect for what I experienced last night, 1am my head was going crazy with nonsensical numbers like code combinations, 3am my head started the first draft of a romantic novel set in 1840s Russia 

Today I'm OK, I'm not sick touch wood but I'm groggy and tired like a hangover, I can feel that there's something going on

But if you're going to feel like you have a hangover then you might as well have a few beers.... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I had no reaction at all either

We're obviously made of stronger stuff than all these millennial moaners ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â