Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve got a deal for you, either A, I can give you £45,000 but I’m going to give the 9’s £55,000

or B, I can give you £22,000 and I can give the 9’s £21,500 because they are not as good as you and it would show respect for your position, your importance, your stature.

Which do you take?

I’ll give you a clue, don’t be the sort of prick that even thinks about B.

Use their salary as reason to get yours lifted. Don’t use yours as reason to get theirs reduced. That is mean spirited, envious and borderline retarded.

This is why we have a tory government, ordinary people persuaded (depressingly easily) by the rich and powerful that the other ordinary people are the problem.

Change ‘A’ to me: £21.5k and them to £90-£120k. Plus maybe a 1% pay rise and the fact 6 months ago they were toying with the idea of widening the pay gap even further with only Doctors and Consultants (the highest grades) getting any pay rise at all and sod everyone else. 

Edited by Ingram85

21 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Change ‘A’ to me: £21.5k and them to £90-£120k. Plus maybe a 1% pay rise and the fact 6 months ago they were toying with the idea of widening the pay gap even further with only Doctors and Consultants (the highest grades) getting any pay rise at all and sod everyone else. 

Yeah NHS pay grades are really unfair and the management is a joke. @chrisp65 I fully agree with your point but NHS bandings and management are terrible. I've had all this from the wife for 17 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In my experience, people complaining about upper management doing nothing, **** things up, or not deserving their wage have very little idea of what the role actually entails.

We know exactly what the role entails. I don’t think anyone is saying we don’t need upper managers at all and no one is suggesting there aren’t upper managers that are good at their job just that (I can only speak for BSMHFT) there are far too many of them, all reporting to each other, patting each other on the back and looking after each other and cascading nonsense downwards and a large percentage of them are absolute unscrupulous cretins in my first hand experience.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We’ve hijacked a thread here so perhaps this should all be bumped.

The trouble is with considering this as a legitimate way of thinking, is that its utterly insidious. You start off with a relatively large gap but then its really easy to just worry about the guy one click up. For the fireman to worry about the policeman, the admin to accuse the manager. All the same time, the politicians and the policy makers are laughing at all of us.

My wife doesn’t work for the NHS, but she works with them. She’s done public facing roles during the pandemic, she’s been in charge of buildings, worked crazy hours and unsociable hours. She’s had to deal with some pretty chaotic people as they’ve brought their problems and their chaos to her desk. She works with nurses and Health Visitors.

Has every nurse and HV worked front line? No, it was voluntary. Some have done phone work and zoom calls.

They are all getting a £500 bonus as a thank you. She is not NHS, so she gets no bonus.

Should she suggest they don’t get theirs? Of course not, that’s the thinking of a mug.

I don't think anyone's suggesting or thinking like that. How I'm reading it and my POV is that the management layers in the NHS are ridiculous and really unsuitable people are recruited for management roles.

And there's too much of a gap between lower bands and the highest bands, and the lower bands should be paid more to rebalance this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

I don't think anyone's suggesting or thinking like that.

I completely disagree.  I definitely think you've hijacked the thread. 

• Like 1

On Midlands Today a little earlier they were saying a number of people have been in touch with them saying they can’t get their second dose within 12 weeks.

One 80 year old had her first early Jan and hadn’t yet been contact for the second. Then at the end of the segment they said they’d been in touch to say she now has an appointment which is 15 weeks after the first.

20 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I don't think anyone's suggesting or thinking like that. How I'm reading it and my POV is that the management layers in the NHS are ridiculous and really unsuitable people are recruited for management roles.

And there's too much of a gap between lower bands and the highest bands, and the lower bands should be paid more to rebalance this.

The original post was absolutely suggesting taking money off people.

I agree with all your thoughts on recruitment and management pyramiding and lower bands being paid more. No dispute there.

• Like 2

Hmm, now Smethwick is included in the surge testing having had an SA variant case detected (cases?).  It is slightly worrying how they are mobilising to full surge testing across a number of areas now over this variant.  

12 minutes ago, trekka said:

Hmm, now Smethwick is included in the surge testing having had an SA variant case detected (cases?).  It is slightly worrying how they are mobilising to full surge testing across a number of areas now over this variant.  

It's clearly run away now.  The testing now is just for show or to slow it as best they can. I said about a week ago that the known cases had doubled in a week.  Its gone to about quadruple from even those numbers in the past week. 

Have to hope our Vaccines are good enough to stop people getting proper ill with it, and more importantly it doesn't get big enough to mutate into something more worrying. 

I'm more concerned with the Brazilian version right now looking at some of the reports about it. 

Edited by sidcow

21 minutes ago, trekka said:

Hmm, now Smethwick is included in the surge testing having had an SA variant case detected (cases?).  

Also, why is it always **** Smethwick? 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Definitely need to keep this Brazilian variant out.   Not only is Brazil completely under he cosh from it, but apparently 50% of all people currently in hospital are under 40 so it seems it's pretty good at getting at younger people. 

When they were talking about amending vaccines for new variants they originally said it would only take "weeks" to tweak vaccines. They've know about these variants for at at least a couple of months now, how come October seems to be the earliest date we're going to get new versions?  That's months, not weeks.  When I originally heard that I thought there might be a chance of my second jab being an upgraded one for the new variants. 

Isn't this the same Brazil that's handled this appallingly and barely anyone is vaccinated? Not sure it's entirely comparable with here tbh.

Yes we need to be vigilant but the current vaccines stop serious illness and hospitalisations from all current known variants.

17 minutes ago, RussG said:

Isn't this the same Brazil that's handled this appallingly and barely anyone is vaccinated? Not sure it's entirely comparable with here tbh.

Yes we need to be vigilant but the current vaccines stop serious illness and hospitalisations from all current known variants.

My worry is that it's attacking young people in Brazil, over half the people in hospital are now under 40, and it also seems to be killing more younger people.  That's whats I'm worried about. 

Just now, sidcow said:

My worry is that it's attacking young people in Brazil, over half the people in hospital are now under 40, and it also seems to be killing more younger people.  That's whats I'm worried about. 

And rightly so however we seem on course to vaccinate that age group soon though unlike Brazil, in fact I know x3 under 40's with no health conditions who have already had their first jab.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

On Midlands Today a little earlier they were saying a number of people have been in touch with them saying they can’t get their second dose within 12 weeks.

One 80 year old had her first early Jan and hadn’t yet been contact for the second. Then at the end of the segment they said they’d been in touch to say she now has an appointment which is 15 weeks after the first.

When I had my first dose, they gave me the little card that said I'd had it along with the time and date of my second appointment (which is printed on the card), are people having to book second appointments individually?

3 hours ago, RussG said:

And rightly so however we seem on course to vaccinate that age group soon though unlike Brazil, in fact I know x3 under 40's with no health conditions who have already had their first jab.

There is a worrying study in Manaus in the Amazon where it seemed over 70% of the population had covid antibodies in December judging from blood donors, but they've still had a big spike recently.  Added to the amount of young people in ICU in the country it's a bit worrying that it goes against what we seem to know about the virus over here.  There are still a lot of unknowns out there and things can change rapidly.  

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

When I had my first dose, they gave me the little card that said I'd had it along with the time and date of my second appointment (which is printed on the card), are people having to book second appointments individually?

It seems there are two methods that are typical.

The vast majority I know from my area of Bromsgrove (around my age group (51) and my parents age group of late 70s) have had a phone call from their GP to book their first jabs, followed by another phone call from their GP around one week before the second jab The doses for my in-laws (both Pfizer) and my parents (one Pfizer the other AZ) were all 11 weeks apart. I don’t know anyone who having had their first jab 12 weeks ago, hasn’t had a call for their second dose.

The second typical method is requesting online where I believe agreeing a second jab date is compulsory condition of arranging the first date.

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A lot of the oldest people who had theirs first in early Jan were told to wait to be called back for the second jab.

I think it’s more recent that the 1st and and second appointments are booked together. 

• Like 1

Â