Generic Virus Thread

villakram

The consequences of the NHS in no way being prepared for anything like covid, due to already running at pretty much 100% capacity during normal times, are now starting to become clear.

Overall waiting lists are already at a record high of 4.6 million but this is expected to rise to 10 million by 2024. The number of people waiting more than a year for their operation has gone from 1600 pre pandemic to over 300,000 now. The amount of people waiting more than 6 months is over a million. 

It should be the big political issue at the next election and the Tories should be slaughtered on it as despite no country being able to be fully prepared for anything like this we were massively under prepared. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The consequences of the NHS in no way being prepared for anything like covid, due to already running at pretty much 100% capacity during normal times, are now starting to become clear.

Overall waiting lists are already at a record high of 4.6 million but this is expected to rise to 10 million by 2024. The number of people waiting more than a year for their operation has gone from 1600 pre pandemic to over 300,000 now. The amount of people waiting more than 6 months is over a million. 

It should be the big political issue at the next election and the Tories should be slaughtered on it as despite no country being able to be fully prepared for anything like this we were massively under prepared. 

I'd also add that whilst Covid risk was high, and we wanted to avoid a swamping of the NHS, the consequences of almost solely focusing on COVID for over a year, as well as the mental affects of lockdown could be even worse than the effects of COVID. I totally trust the Government to do an independent review. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Haha, bloke in pub on the news about the return to pubs, pours himself a bottle of corona into a warm glass, sips, and exclaims "well worth the wait". I've been doing that the last 12 months. 

Yes I saw that, was hilarious.   Like if ONLY there was another way to pour yourself a beer out of a bottle.  

I preferred the bloke from Cornwall yesterday who made a big point of emphasising  that it was a draught beer he was drinking.  

I am so looking forward to my first beer engine, hand pulled pint of cask conditioned ale.  Ain't nothing like it in the world, it's why we left Europe with their fizzy lager innint.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Except it predictably crashed so now it isn't

Well at least it sounds like people aren't being put off having the vaccine on that basis!

Fixed now apparently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I dont wanna defend them as they fecking shit with the nhs but thats most countries on the planet not just uk that wasnt prepared. Only country i have read about that has handled it well is new zealand (there may be more but thats the one ive read alot about)

The whole things a mess, we have TCIs from over a year waiting. Our trust has started booking again but they are out sourcing a lot of the diagnostics like colonoscopies and other surgeries.

But one other thing that you must be aware of is alot of patients are scared (understandably due to covid) to come in as well and our trust is not allowed to remove them from the waiting list even if they decline surgery dates.so they will counted in the official figures even though they were offered  a date. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

In terms of ICU beds, vitally important in terms of covid and non covid health issues, then we were woefully prepared compared to many comparable countries.

Germany has 29 ICU beds per 100k capita, USA 34 per 100k, France 12, Italy 12.5, Spain 10. The UK  has 6.5 per 100k inhabitants. 

It doesnt matter how many beds you have if you dont have any staff as well though. 

Covid patients were not just seen ICU beds only though mate.  It was getting at crisis point where any bed was being used.  Dont foeget england has 10m less people than spain.

And i would argue thats disastrous for the us when you consider their population 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

US pausing J&J over extremely rare clotting issue

Israel says Pfizer isn't totally effective against SA variant

Christ, we'll have no vaccines left at this rate. 

What happens if some people start developing some kind of serious side effects from Pfizer, just let the disease run rampant? 

It's kind of harsh but it's like triage in a war zone at the moment unfortunately.  Just got to get as many treated as best we can or ultimately we're going to lose a lot more in the long run. 

Isn't J&J a more traditional vaccine like AstraZeneca? Ironic that the new tech ones haven't thus far had any problems when they would be the more likely candidates.  Hopefully long term things don't start to arise with them.

You're right Dem, our shortages of staff were our limiter, not our number of beds and given that we're not issuing pay rises, we've taken away the nurses bursary and we're making it much more difficult for nurses from Europe to work here, that's a situation that's unlikely to get any better any time soon.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont foeget england has 10m less people than spain.

And i would argue thats disastrous for the us when you consider their population 

Population of England - 55,98 million

Population of Spain - 46.94 million

Population of the UK - 66.65 million

How do mean when you say 'consider their population'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It doesnt matter how many beds you have if you dont have any staff as well though. 

Covid patients were not just seen ICU beds only though mate.  It was getting at crisis point where any bed was being used.  Dont foeget england has 10m less people than spain.

I agree beds without staff is a waste of time which is why the Nightingale Hospitals were just a headline grabbing waste of hundreds of millions of pounds of taxpayers money as there was never the staff to be able to utilise them. 

With regards your second point beds per capita works in that the US has 34 ICU beds (with staff to man them otherwise it may as well just be a bed) per 100k inhabitants which is over 5 times the amount we do per hundred thousand people. If you consider that to be disastrous for them then what do you consider us being in a 5 times worse position to be?

Â