Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I just can't agree. The world is too international. There are 3 million Brits living in the UK alone. That doesn't count the non-EU expats. So we displace those? 

You don’t agree because it doesn’t suit you personally. 
I’m talking about the big picture. People can come back as far as I am aware, as long as they protect the general population by isolating first.

Just now, Genie said:

I’m talking about the big picture. People can come back as far as I am aware, as long as they protect the general population by isolating first.

No, if I was talking about myself I wouldn't mention 3 million other people who have put their lives on hold for the last 13 months. 

Sure I can come back, at huge personal expense, because of a virus that likely won't affect me. I was very happy shielding the most vulnerable at the start, but now? It's getting beyond a joke, and the cure is worse than the disease.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

If we’re talking big picture, why are we all so worried about something that’s thus far managed to kill 0.2% of the UK population? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

In the short term I think the answer is very strict controls on international travel, which allows the UK to get back to a level of normal day-to-day lives.

This won’t be popular with the ex-pats who are desperate to come home for their own reasons but I think it’s the only realistic measure to remove restrictions.

In the mean time the boosters could come online in the Autumn to increase protection against emerging mutations.

I am an ex-pat and I expect this to be the case for the UK,  it seem the logical thing to do until it (UK) is on it's feet again.

If I was the UK I would do the same.

From here the EU has been made to look a fool by the UK and is reported as such.

If the vaccine problem was reversed and the EU had loads they would give the UK zero.  Point at Brexit and shout "See".

I don't know anyone who has had a vaccine at all in NL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No, if I was talking about myself I wouldn't mention 3 million other people who have put their lives on hold for the last 13 months. 

Sure I can come back, at huge personal expense, because of a virus that likely won't affect me. I was very happy shielding the most vulnerable at the start, but now? It's getting beyond a joke, and the cure is worse than the disease.

If you’re desperate to come back then you can, in a safe and controlled way.

You seem to want to have your cake and eat it.

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

From here the EU has been made to look a fool by the UK and is reported as such.

On a completely different subject that I don't think has been discussed here yet. How did Jean-Claude Juncker's comments from the other night get reported and go down? He as good as said that Ursula von der Leyen was handling it all wrong and had started a "vaccine war" which they'll regret as the optics are not good

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

For the umpteenth time... that statistic totally misses the point. Which is that below that iceberg tip, there were thousands of sufferers who needed hospitalisation - which overwhelmed the hospitals and had a big knock-on effect on resources available for patients with other serious conditions. 

We can't just ignore it. 

You seem happy enough to ignore the fact that most of the most vulnerable have or will be imminently vaccinated. Time to return to normal.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

For the umpteenth time... that statistic totally misses the point. Which is that below that iceberg tip, there were thousands of sufferers who needed hospitalisation - which overwhelmed the hospitals and had a big knock-on effect on resources available for patients with other serious conditions. 

We can't just ignore it. 

I get that man, I really do.

But I’m not sure it can be used to continue justifying further restrictions, not now.

There’s been a lot of scaremongering in the past 12 months about various shortages and capacity levels being breached and yet, we barely used the nightingale hospitals that were ‘built’ (to my knowledge anyway). 

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

we barely used the nightingale hospitals that were ‘built’ (to my knowledge anyway). 

What they didn't tell you was there were no staff to run them! It's OK building shit like that but with all the qualified staff a bit busy in real hospitals...

They were a pointless waste of money

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm under 50 and invited for vaccination tomorrow.

I'd thought it'd be a little while with talk of shortages, should I be surprised by that?

No not really mate. I think it can depend on where you live and how quickly they are moving down the age groups. I am 47, no underlying health issues etc, and had my first jab two weeks ago.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

No not really mate. I think it can depend on where you live and how quickly they are moving down the age groups. I am 47, no underlying health issues etc, and had my first jab two weeks ago.

Also seems to depend whether you booked with the NHS national thingy or your own GP

Â