Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Grauniad:

People could use a revamped NHS app to prove their Covid status on entering pubs or theatres in England under plans being considered by ministers, as one major care provider said staff have two months to get jabbed or lose their jobs.

Ministers are expected to give businesses in England the power to check Covid certification – whether people have been vaccinated or the result of recent tests. That will include small-scale venues like restaurants or bars.

However, the equalities watchdog and trade unions have said that any move that relies solely on vaccine certification could be unlawful and that passes must not be used to relax Covid safety measures in workplaces.

One method under consideration in a review being led by Michael Gove is to revise an NHS app, which could be used to prove vaccination status or the result of a recent test. It is unclear whether people could upload the results of self-administered lateral flow tests.

Downing Street sources said business were already able to use their discretion on who they served, within discrimination law.

The review is intended to be concluded to allow introduction of the measures before the roadmap reaches its final phase – on 21 June – when the government hopes to lift all social restrictions, though advice on hand-washing, mask-wearing and social distancing could still be in place.

... more

• Sad 1

The app that’s shit at its original purpose could be reworked as a form of I.D. Yep, can’t see anything that could possibly go wrong there. Absolutely no chance of the app not working, or somebody not having a smartphone, or somebody borrowing someone else’s phone, or sharing a screen grab...

Fool proof.

As long as a tory chum gets to pocket a few tens of millions off this then I’m happy with the idea.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The app that’s shit at its original purpose could be reworked as a form of I.D. Yep, can’t see anything that could possibly go wrong there. Absolutely no chance of the app not working, or somebody not having a smartphone, or somebody borrowing someone else’s phone, or sharing a screen grab...

Fool proof.

As long as a tory chum gets to pocket a few tens of millions off this then I’m happy with the idea.

Indeed. The main purpose of the review is quite possibly who gets the keys to this particular chest of gold.

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Famously high correlation between *smartphone users* and *the elderly, who have received both vaccine doses*.

I don't think it's going to be about what might be the most sensible or most practical thing to do - or the safest or most secure (wrt to actual public health or data security and accuracy).

It's just going to be the thing that happens and I think businesses will drive it. And a lot of it will be for little more than psychological reassurance for their workers and customers - see 'covid secure'.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I don't think it's going to be about what might be the most sensible or most practical thing to do - or the safest or most secure (wrt to actual public health or data security and accuracy).

It's just going to be the thing that happens and I think businesses will drive it. And a lot of it will be for little more than psychological reassurance for their workers and customers - see 'covid secure'.

Covid-security theatre, if you will.

• Like 1

My wife got the call last week to have her vaccination (today). She questioned her eligibility as she is 33. It was because she had gestational diabetes, while pregnant and they strongly recommend she did it now rather than wait. Which is fine and makes sense, they are doing some of the most vaccinations in the country here so getting well through the priority list.

Today however she also got a letter to tell her to shield. Just seems strange nearly a year after people started shielding, they have now decided she should shield, even allowing for the fact we moved and changed doctors 6 months ago.

9 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

My wife got the call last week to have her vaccination (today). She questioned her eligibility as she is 33. It was because she had gestational diabetes, while pregnant and they strongly recommend she did it now rather than wait. Which is fine and makes sense, they are doing some of the most vaccinations in the country here so getting well through the priority list.

Today however she also got a letter to tell her to shield. Just seems strange nearly a year after people started shielding, they have now decided she should shield, even allowing for the fact we moved and changed doctors 6 months ago.

I know it's just the wording you've used but the shielding letters are advice (the new ones are based on an updated risk assessment though, as per my post earlier, not on the most up to date data about patients) and it does say 'this means you can make an informed choice yourself'. It could and should, however, have that line much more prominently than it does (at the end of paragraph 5).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I know it's just the wording you've used but the shielding letters are advice (the new ones are based on an updated risk assessment though, as per my post earlier, not on the most up to date data about patients) and it does say 'this means you can make an informed choice yourself'. It could and should, however, have that line much more prominently than it does (at the end of paragraph 5).

Ok, I've not read the letter myself (or saw your post). Without obviously reading it properly she was basically doing her own informed choice anyway to a certain extent. She doesn't have continued diabetes it was just during pregnancy, that and the fact she has spent a year living life as normally as covid allows for a year.

Yes it does seem that the layout of the letter should be better. As I'm sure there will be people that get worried it start shielding if they don't necessarily need to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Gathering the lads together for a few at Spoons when lockdown lifts

Wayne Rooney shared this hilarious throwback pic from 2005 on Facebook

That is fantastic, what on earth are Rio and O'Shea wearing there. Rios got his Harry Hill collar on and John looks like hes borrowed his dads wardrobe for the occasion.

Â