Generic Virus Thread

villakram

57 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The pandemic has been great for Devi Sridhar personally, perhaps that's why she doesn't want it to end.

I’ll be really glad to see the back of her,  and will praise the day that she never needs to be interviewed again, but I will kind of miss seeing Devi on our screens 😍

She can f**k right off with this chat about next year, though. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Care home(s) on BBC News live now saying they’ve had residents get one dose of the vaccine and then contract Covid after the time to reach peak immunity (from that one dose that is), some get seriously and even die still. 😔

They’re calling for the second doses to be given after the suggested 2-3 weeks so that everyone can reach absolute peak immunity.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm gobsmacked that's not all over BBC website and other news sources. 

You would think that's a top story! 

My partner heard this first hand from a Doctor on the COVID ward in the QE this week. This whole idea of 12 weeks in between doses is complete bobbins.

I can’t do another year of this.

It’s really starting to get to me now and I’m sure the same goes for a lot of others.

We’ve been good little citizens despite having zero-to-awful leadership throughout. It’s time to take the onus off the people and give folks some respite.

My concerns from day one of the first lockdown are sadly coming to fruition in that the prevention methods are really now having more of an effect on more people than the damned virus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

They could build 10, 40 or 100 new hospitals... unfortunately there's not enough doctors and nurses to staff them.... ideally we'd advertise these roles to qualified people outside the UK ....... or make these roles more appetising to native residents by offering good pay and prospects....

Oh bugger....

Yep, there’s some kinks to iron out of the plan.

Here’s a thought.

Whilst we’re all (in the main) shutting ourselves indoors all day the old folks who we’re meant to be protecting seem to have no problem in going out for strolls and popping into shops, at least in my area.

Why don’t we target the lockdown on those at risk people and allow the rest of us to have a chance at some form of normality, I find it galling personally to see a 90 year old guy on his mobility scooter in the local co-op with a mask hanging off his chin, only covering his mouth when that’s supposed to be the person who’s life I’m ‘helping to save’ by barely living a life.

Yep, i am at the end of my tether with this shit now.

After the discovery of the so-called English mutation, edging the capital region of Norway closer to another complete lockdown, can I just say a friendly **** *** to all of you? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

After the discovery of the so-called English mutation, edging the capital region of Norway closer to another complete lockdown, can I just say a friendly **** *** to all of you? 😂

It’s funny that every country calls the mutation by another country’s name.

So in the UK we’re blaming it on South Africa and Brazil but Norway are blaming it on England.

Ill bet in Brazil and South Africa it’s blamed on another country........

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s funny that every country calls the mutation by another country’s name.

So in the UK we’re blaming it on South Africa and Brazil but Norway are blaming it on England.

Ill bet in Brazil and South Africa it’s blamed on another country........

A bit like 'Spanish Flu'.

It originated in the US but because of WW1 there was a ban on reporting about it in a lot of countries to try and prevent national moral going down further. Spain were not involved in the war at the time so they were one of the few places reporting the effects of the virus truthfully. Everyone else was then looking at the horrific numbers from Spain and saying "Geez that Spanish flu is bad!" obviously oblivious to it being just as bad in their own country.    

• Like 3

The UK and South Africa are the two countries leading the way in the discovery of new variants of the virus, thats why they are discovered either here or there and has shite all to do with where they originate. They are just the two countries that discover them

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

The UK and South Africa are the two countries leading the way in the discovery of new variants of the virus, thats why they are discovered either here or there and has shite all to do with where they originate. They are just the two countries that discover them

So if we ignore them they just go away? 😉

Boris and the big guns (Vallance and Whitty) are on at 5PM.  Let's start the bidding on the number of times the word "alas" is used.

I think he is toning down his use of it, therefore I'll go with 2.  Any other bids?

410,000 Vaccines in the last 24 hours.

That is superb.  That would get through 2,050,000 per week just in midweek.  Probably 2.5m a week with weekend numbers.  Smashing it!

I'm more amazed that supply is keeping up to be honest though.

I saw a figure elsewhere that there were a ton of second doses given as well but I've lost it now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That is superb.  That would get through 2,050,000 per week just in midweek.  Probably 2.5m a week with weekend numbers.  Smashing it!

I saw a figure elsewhere that there were a ton of second doses given as well but I've lost it now.

Yep, we're doing a good job.  During last weekend though (one to watch for this weekend) there was a distinct drop I believe.  Hopefully things keep on ramping up and last weekend was a blip. 

EDIT: The Sky News tracker states 466,796 people in total have now received the full two doses. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Here

A total of 5,100,475 Covid-19 vaccinations took place in England between December 8 and January 21, according to provisional NHS England data, including first and second doses. 

Of this number, 4,661,293 were the first dose of the vaccine, a rise of 357,563 on Thursday’s figures, while 439,182 were the second dose, an increase of 2,334.

Incredible from the NHS 👏 

Link

edit: I just noticed the lady’s face in the picture on that story :lol: 

C7-B16205-15-AC-4-BF9-BC61-1-A70-A9-AD93

why on Earth did they use that? 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â