Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just run an article stating it, and then offer alternative explanations as necessary.

Here's an abortion, sorry, article about 'reality check' that apparently took 3 people to write where they don't understand the difference between should and can, but understand enough now to explain why we might not be comparing apples to apples...

Unless it suits us of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52530918

Coronavirus: Can you compare the UK with Italy?

By Chris Morris, Anthony Reuben and Tamara Kovacevic
BBC Reality Check
  • 56 minutes ago

For a start, the UK's population is roughly 66 million, and Italy's is about 60 million.

So the UK would have to register at least 10% more deaths than Italy for it to have a higher death rate per person.

"Every country measures deaths in a different way," the UK government's chief medical adviser Chris Whitty said at one daily briefing, "so comparing them to each other is a largely fruitless exercise".

On the face of it, Italy and the UK now do it in fairly similar ways - only including confirmed Covid-19 cases in their cumulative daily counts.

But while it is safe to assume the figures for the numbers of deaths in hospitals are fairly accurate, can the same be said about deaths in care homes or at home?

So they do get it after all eh?

Who'd have thunk it.

The thing is, this The Event will be making this shit so obvious to people who would otherwise have been clinging on to the idea that the BBC was better than a state propaganda tabloid. 

The brand is worthless. 

Reality check - explainers - 

Get to ****BBC.

Here's our mate triggle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52549860

This is a sobering moment. Italy was the first part of Europe to see cases rise rapidly, and the scenes of hospitals being overwhelmed were met with shock and disbelief.

But we should be careful how we interpret the figures.

On the face of it, both countries now count deaths in a similar way, including both in hospitals and the community.

But ...

Etc.

And Mr google adverts-man off the click stuff under a 'must see' banner -

Some technical experts have said the NHS app will not work properly on an iPhone unless it is kept open and running in the foreground.

The team behind it insist that is not the case - although that is impossible for me to verify.

What I can say is that it does not appear to be a power hog, with just 2% of my battery used by the app over the last few hours. By contrast, you won't be surprised to hear that Twitter accounted for 25%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52551273

At least they did what you asked them to do I suppose

And covering the important issues in this crisis

Coronavirus: How will you commute to work after lockdown?

By Zoe KleinmanTechnology reporter, BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52532993

come on eye roll GIF

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Here's an abortion, sorry, article about 'reality check' that apparently took 3 people to write where they don't understand the difference between should and can, but understand enough now to explain why we might not be comparing apples to apples...

Unless it suits us of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52530918

Some figures require careful parsing and as much whataboutery as possible, but other figures not so much:

• Thanks 1

When I see people queuing for chicken, and wanting to visit nail salons, I am filled with dread.

Not just because I have to share a planet with these folk, but because it demonstrates what lies in wait when the various lockdowns are eased.

The level of ignorance, this deep into the pandemic, is staggering. Imagine how much worse people’s behaviour will be when they get what, for many, will be a psychological “ green light” to “ resume their lives”.

I am still talking with family members who don’t fully grasp the potential dangers of occupying airspace recently vacated by an asymptomatic person...reiterating that 6 foot is the MINIMUM distance to keep between yourself and others, .still battling to convince my daughter - (a Medic in the Army !) - that she must wash food packaging and postal items.

Yet they wouldn’t dream of doing some of the unnecessary things many others are doing....which begs the question, how ill informed are ( some) of those doing so ?

Very disturbing possibilities ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

See I don't get the queuing for stuff like K fried C, it just goes to show how often these people must eat it for them to be willing to queue so long for it.

I could absolutely murder a Chinese, I haven't had one since about February I'm guessing, and since the lockdown they have all just completely closed, I certainly wouldn't queue 2 hours for one though.

Having said that, if the curry houses closed down then I would queue all day for one seeing as I have to have an Indian every Friday night, I suppose I'm no better than the fools waiting for KFC, I'm just lucky.

I don’t think it’s necessarily the food specifically, I think there’s probably just an element of doing something that you’d have normally done prior to lockdown and feeling good about it.

You’d have to like KFC quite a bit to queue for two hours as well of course.

I went to B&Q two weekends ago, usually hate the bloody place but enjoyed just being able to go 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, terrytini said:

When I see people queuing for chicken, and wanting to visit nail salons, I am filled with dread.

It's the stories about 'networks of underground barbers' that rather got me.

People getting smuggled in to other people's houses to have a short back and sides? :o

55 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You can now queue for fried chicken.

The US Corona Virus Task Force is going to be wound down.

“You will very shortly be able to get your nails done in Arizona”.

Well whoopy doo.  I must be imagining comforting my wife this afternoon as she tried to get to grips with another two Carers she was friends with dying, and another hospitalised. And surely my Son In Law didn’t really lose his Grandad to this last night.

Has the World finally gone totally mad ?

Isn't it depressing how little we seem to value human life. I can't get my head around how desperate some people are to eat fast food and drink a pint. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I quite enjoyed Peston asking how we could get the numbers to start going down on the cumulative death chart. It's unclear from the response whether any investment is being made in to researching resurrection. 

I missed this earlier in the wobble.

Not enough love. Brilliant.

Open Democracy:

Everyone agrees we’re in lockdown. Coronavirus has “shut down the whole economy”, the BBC’s Coronavirus Newscast told us last week.

The BBC’s World at One contrasts the situation in the UK, with that of a “different approach” in Sweden, where “not all businesses have closed”. The only debate now is between the hawks and doves on when we allow “a partial reopening of businesses”, the national broadcaster’s daily news email told me on Monday.

Meanwhile Britain seems headed towards the worst death rate in Europe.

Undoubtedly part of the reason for this is that we moved too late to enforce a “lockdown”.

But the other reason is that we don’t actually have a lockdown. The government has allowed people to continue to go to work – and allowed bosses to make people continue to go to work – far more than we’re being led to believe, and far more than most of the media seem to have noticed.

... much more including reponses from Gov departnments and government 'advice' on the link

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It would be so 2020 for this pandemic to have a zombie phase.

I keep saying to mrsvm when she says it couldn't be much worse that it could be worse. The aliens from alien could turn up. 

Pain incoming:

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July

'The chancellor, Rishi Sunak, is preparing to wind down the coronavirus wage-subsidy scheme for workers from July as part of government plans to gradually remove lockdown measures.

In a sign of the mounting costs to the exchequer with almost a quarter of employees in Britain furloughed in the past fortnight, the chancellor is expected to announce that the Covid-19 job retention scheme will be steadily scaled back as restrictions on business activity are lifted.

The Treasury is understood to be examining several options for tapering the scheme, including cutting the 80% wage subsidy paid by the state to 60% and lowering the £2,500 cap on monthly payments. Another option promoted by employers’ groups to allow furloughed staff to work, but with a smaller state subsidy, is also under consideration.

Sources indicated that a final decision has yet to be made, but the Treasury was working closely with No 10 as Boris Johnson prepares to outline plans on Sunday to gradually lift lockdown restrictions. After more than a month of tight controls on social and business activity across Britain and in other countries around the world, the UK is on the brink of the deepest recession in living memory.

Sunak is expected to announce details of the plan before the middle of May, because employers with more than 100 staff must run a 45-day consultation before making any redundancies. With the furlough scheme due to close at the end of June, firms will need to start making decisions from as early as next week, piling pressure on the chancellor to provide refreshed guidelines or face a wave of potential job losses.'

more on link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/rishi-sunak-preparing-to-wind-down-furlough-scheme-from-july

Â