Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Not strictly virus related, but there was a Parliamentary hearing on 5G this morning at which both experts mentioned the NHS coming under massive and sustained cyber attacks during the pandemic. That’s pretty dark. 

• Sad 1

I wonder if the UK government is regretting using that global death comparison graph at the daily press conferences. The UK deaths in all settings is going to show today as being above every other country in the world, on that comparative day, bar the USA.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stop showing this graph as we are quickly becoming the outlier around the world along with USA.( I accept that China are almost certainly not declaring many of their deaths).

I still can't get my head around that with the foresight we had of being able to see what was happening in Italy and then Spain that we failed to react quickly enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I wonder if the UK government is regretting using that global death comparison graph at the daily press conferences. The UK deaths in all settings is going to show today as being above every other country in the world, on that comparative day, bar the USA.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stop showing this graph as we are quickly becoming the outlier around the world along with USA.( I accept that China are almost certainly not declaring many of their deaths).

I still can't get my head around that with the foresight we had of being able to see what was happening in Italy and then Spain that we failed to react quickly enough.

I said it before but the real China figure must be mega. How many got infected and died before they realised what was going on? Real number must be 100x higher than what they declared.

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

They thought they were very clever with their herd immunity 'plan', and also we'd woefully underprepared for any such a scenario with our healthcare system basically not stocked to deal with this kind of thing. 

So we got caught in the hop when someone did the numbers and realised the plan to 'take it on the chin and reap the rewards of getting through it first' had the price of a colossal pole of corpses and the entire healthcare infrastructure collapsing, and hadn't got the tools to get back on our feet quickly.

Hence we've reaped the whirlwind. We should be somewhat thankful the lockdown happened at all.

Meanwhile the winds of hubris are being whipped up again by those desperate to say this is all behind us. You know, the people who won't really be effected by it by not being on frontline of anything.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Both countries with millions of people who were happy to elect an utter clown, knowing full well all the flaws they had, just so they could say their team won. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Both countries with millions of people who were happy to elect an utter clown, knowing full well all the flaws they had, just so they could say their team won. 

That’s not true on multiple levels. UK voters didn’t elect Johnson as pm. They elected local mps. Many weren’t happy doing even that. Many had no idea of the flaws of Johnson. But many will have voted for a Tory, because they felt the oppo leader was even worse. In the US Trump was chosen by their system, even though he didn’t get the most votes. Both nations are very divided, both had poor, really poor, alternatives and few voted just so they “could say their team won”. 

but I get the sentiment behind the frustration.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s not true on multiple levels. UK voters didn’t elect Johnson as pm. They elected local mps. Many weren’t happy doing even that. Many had no idea of the flaws of Johnson. But many will have voted for a Tory, because they felt the oppo leader was even worse. In the US Trump was chosen by their system, even though he didn’t get the most votes. Both nations are very divided, both had poor, really poor, alternatives and few voted just so they “could say their team won”. 

but I get the sentiment behind the frustration.

I think a lot voted for tories, knowing full well it meant Boris, a racist clown, would become pm because Brexit would get done. Brexit unfortunately turned into like a sport event, with reasoning out the window and just winning seemly taking over both sides  

Trump continues to be treated as a cult leader because many would rather win with a **** lunatic in charge than let the 'libtards' win. 

I agree there is lots more to it. I just look at the two in charge and can't believe its a coincidence that our death totals will be horrendous. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, drat01 said:

Some of you may remember Pete Bosworth from the early days of VT. He has been particlularly bad with the Virus and has been in the ICU - Good news now though on his progress, still some way to go but fingers crossed etc image.png.0183516671f564f7a1322ba4594a4452.png

Ian I nearly fell off my chair when I saw you'd posted.

I remember Pete. Sorry to hear he has been really unwell but glad he is hopefully on the mend.

Edited by markavfc40

I think we’ll be a while before we have an accurate number. The north wales health trust that only realised recently they hadn’t been reporting their deaths on the correct portal, they retrospectively added 88 deaths yesterday. Today they’ve found another 31 they hadn’t reported.

What might be worth keeping in mind. Relatively, I would trust the death reporting as being done with best endeavours but open to cock up and admin error. Given that a single trust can ‘lose’ 119 deaths off its records, i wonder how accurate any country’s figures might be?

More of a guide, than an absolute.

But even by that caveat, we do appear to have made some wrong decisions along the way. Football, Cheltenham, Rock Concerts amongst them, along with people still as of this weekend reporting arriving at Heathrow and just wandering around and out without any form of checking.

I just think we’re lucky we took back control. Imagine if we still didn’t have control of our own borders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Not sure if this has been posted already but they really are something else aren’t they? 

For split second there thought the interviewer was Borat

Again, the weird fear of communism.

Saw something yesterday where someone was objecting to more stringent paperwork around gun purchases and they complained more admin when buying a gun was communism.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

By the end of this, people should be so angry that it really should be the end of the tories for a long time. But I know that we've got such a stupid mindset in this country and are so easily distracted that nothing will come of it. 

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Are we letting old people die in care homes to keep the numbers at the press conferences down?

If not, why aren't the sick in care homes being moved into hospitals that have capacity to help them?

Quite

Edit: I think we all know the answer, perhaps we shouldn't say it out loud because it's rather callous

Edited by VILLAMARV
Added bit

Â