Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'd imagine population density plays a part as well. Of all the big counties in Europe (over 50m), we have the highest population density, especially in England, more so than the rest of the UK. 

With a highly contagious virus and the highest density of any mass populated country in Europe, it always going to end up in a bad way. 

If that’s the case then All the more reason we should have seen what was happening in Italy and locked down sooner. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agree. But the failure to accept the offer of the EU organised ventilator procurement thing that was offered was shameful and Brexity politics at their absolute, complacent, worst.

Yes, but blandy, didn't you hear, the invitation went into somebody's spam folder, so it's nobody's fault really, is it?

43 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

America has a population twice the size of the UK, Italy & Spain combined, If they were getting 5000+ deaths per day it would barely even equal the same sort of deaths per million population of 3 of the "worst" countries

Does population matter at this stage of an epidemic?

Im sure people have posted that population doesn’t matter until the virus starts running out of people to infect 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If that’s the case then All the more reason we should have seen what was happening in Italy and locked down sooner. 

I agree, the biggest failures for me were a) Cheltenham going ahead and b) Flights still coming in daily from Italy, Spain, China, Iran, USA, etc.

Absolute madness. The airports/ports should have been closed. As an island, we have a better chance of containing something than being a landlocked country. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

100% - and to anyone happy with government performance at the moment, sobering reminder - we only exit lock-down with mass testing in place. That 100k tests by the end of this month is vital if we are to resume daily life. Folks can forgive and excuse those politicians who sought power their entire life, but they are in the driving seat now - how long are we going to say it's ok? Another month? Another two months of lockdown?. I'll be very happy to change my tune when they get this testing in place, when they said they would. 

No, we will exit lockdown when admissions to Hospital and death rates due to Cornonavirus slows down to minimal levels. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

HA there is every chance that will happen sooner or later, I've already warned my boss about the perils of me working from home, I'm really good with my drinking these days, 6 cans of Stella on a Thursday night a maximum of 8 cans on a Friday night, other than that I don't drink.

I'm a creature of routine and with it being a bank holiday weekend and everything up in the air I've decided to bring my Thursday night drink forward to today, had 2 Tennents super earlier and I've got 6 cans of Grolsch that I'm just about to get started on.

F*ck it

On a serious note it’s mad how this is effecting everybody’s drinking. 

Ive posted before that I never drink at home but I’m thinking almost every day during this lockdown. I have several mates who are all the same. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

On a serious note it’s mad how this is effecting everybody’s drinking. 

Ive posted before that I never drink at home but I’m thinking almost every day during this lockdown. I have several mates who are all the same. 

This will be the first time in a loooong time that I have broken my routine of drinking at home.

I haven't had a face to face conversation with another human in over 2 weeks, I reckon I can get away with a few tins tonight.

I’m very happy that I managed to stop drinking 11 weeks ago this Saturday, me and the wife were getting through 3 bottles of wine a day and had been drinking like that for a long time. I’ve never been sober of drink or drugs for that long in 25 years! I’ve saved a fortune and feel 100% better in myself. 

I dread  to think how much wine we’d be knocking back if we’d not done this. I work with people that are having their first glass around 3pm now. It’s a slippery slope and one I don’t want to slide down again!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No, we will exit lockdown when admissions to Hospital and death rates due to Cornonavirus slows down to minimal levels. 

The government have said testing is the exit plan, so too the WHO. Cases brought down, tracking app to see folks movement - then testing - all of those need to be in place - without testing, the app won't work, the cases will rise again needing another lock-down.

Edited by Jareth

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, but blandy, didn't you hear, the invitation went into somebody's spam folder, so it's nobody's fault really, is it?

I know you know that that excuse is complete bollex, and it's tongue in cheek anyway, HV, but it's one of those things that makes me incredibly angry, and not just failure to join, but the lies about the "reason". It's utterly disgraceful. Genuine mistakes, we all make them, but politically motivated acts of harm and then lying about them. They're words removed.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

I know you know that that excuse is complete bollex, and it's tongue in cheek anyway, HV, but it's one of those things that makes me incredibly angry, and not just failure to join, but the lies about the "reason". It's utterly disgraceful. Genuine mistakes, we all make them, but politically motivated acts of harm and then lying about them. They're words removed.

Its why there has to be an enquiry when this is all done. People have to be held accountable for their actions when its costing lives. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I do have sympathy for people who live in a flat or an apartment without their own outside space, more so if they have children, as staying in especially when really nice weather outside is not going to be easy. I think is easy for people like me with a garden/decent outside space to spend time in to persecute others going out. 

Depends on their age. We have a blinking massive garden, it's what attracted us to the house but trying to get my 15 and 17 Yr old kids into it is like pulling teeth.  All they want to do is stay in their bedrooms on the Web / games / videos.  Both really sporty as well, I can't understand why they just want to sit inside. 

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Friday and Saturday parts of the UK are in for some great weather so can see a lot of people being out and about on those days.

I do have sympathy for people who live in a flat or an apartment without their own outside space...

That's me. Flat with no proper balcony and no outside grounds. Great for the train station an very cosy in winter but absolute murder when nice weather comes. Combine that with a lockdown and its depressing. Need to move to a place with a garden/roof terrace. 

Â