Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Time will tell I guess.

From a parliamentary point of view, they're anything but weak. Their majority and the way our system rewards a majority means they actually are quite powerful.

Which makes the qualities, or lack there of, of the cabinet, moot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Time will tell I guess.

No it won't, this is not a weak government, it can do what the hell it wants. this is the strongest goverment in  over a decade

They may well be making piss poor decisions and being lying words removed but none of that is being forced on them by other parties or coalition partners. There are no situations of being backed into a corner by some minor party to attempt to keep in power. This is all on them, they will be judged on those decisions (and the spin obviously)

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Story from my company now is Furlough plan is first 2 weeks full pay (80% claimed back from the government)

3rd and 4th week is full pay but only for 3 days and the other 2 will be taken as holiday.

After some googling there's nothing I can see in the guidelines that means they can't do that. There's all sorts of FAQs online and they nearly all seem to suggest that they can do that

There is something here that suggests the holiday is entitled to be at full rate during this furlough period

You can. The question is how much will the employee be paid – annual leave requires employees to be paid a week’s pay for a week’s leave and nothing should be done to disincetivise the taking of annual leave. As such, we believe that annual leave will be paid at the usual rate of a week’s pay rather than the 80% wage agreed under furlough

it could be argued  that your 2 days holiday being entitled to 100% pay means that as an overall package for the week ,  they aren't paying you at the minimum 80% required ... which would be illegal  

it could be argued that I'm confused of course   , perhaps someone with a less scrambled brain can decipher my logic  here ?

• Like 1

I overheard a discussion between a couple of medical personnel in tescos today - they discussed whether or not this bug mainly kills people that were bound to die anyway. One brought up how most old people die with cancer in their systems, however we don't attribute the deaths to cancer if they have a heart attack even though the cancer might be the underlying issue here. They sounded like front desk personnel at best but I do wonder if this is the case? Would it inflate the death figures if we report a terminally ill cancer patient who also got corona, as a corona death? Surely this is a fairly huge grey area within the stats?

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

No it won't, this is not a weak government, it can do what the hell it wants. this is the strongest goverment in  over a decade

They may well be making piss poor decisions and being lying words removed but none of that is being forced on them by other parties or coalition partners. There are no situations of being backed into a corner by some minor party to attempt to keep in power. This is all on them, they will be judged on those decisions (and the spin obviously)

I think there is definitely pressure being exerted by the public and the media though and it is a brave politician that could resist bending to that. The article I linked from ‘the local’ on the previous page made the claim that governments in Denmark and Norway are enacting measures that appease the public mood but contravene their own medical advisers recommendations.

One of the things that makes Sweden a bit unique is its medical association calls the shots on these things and sits totally independent of the government of the day. In Sweden it’s largely out of the hands of the politicians.  

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

I overheard a discussion between a couple of medical personnel in tescos today - they discussed whether or not this bug mainly kills people that were bound to die anyway. One brought up how most old people die with cancer in their systems, however we don't attribute the deaths to cancer if they have a heart attack even though the cancer might be the underlying issue here. They sounded like front desk personnel at best but I do wonder if this is the case? Would it inflate the death figures if we report a terminally ill cancer patient who also got corona, as a corona death? Surely this is a fairly huge grey area within the stats?

Have a read of the Spectator article I linked on the previous page. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

My understanding is that if you are furloughed you are furloughed. You can't hve holidays during that period but you do accrue holidays you are entitled through it and the time you have to take those accrued holidays has been extended to 2 years. Seems like nonsense to meand your HR dept is talking through its arse

My daughter is working from home on full pay and she's been told she has to take a week off before June, that they can do because she's working but you really can't take holidays during furlough or you aren't furlouged anymore

Despite a lot being furloughed, our CEO has also asked for everyone to take their 10 days of Holiday accrued by the end of May. Mainly so we as a business can hit the ground running. 

As its a good business to work for, and they treat the staff very well this has been universally accepted. I could imagine it's a little different working for weatherspoons or sports direct. 

Amid all this clamour for governments to “Do something!” we seem to have wandered down a worrying path:

Leaders around the world have passed emergency decrees and legislation expanding their reach during the pandemic. Will they ever relinquish them?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/world/europe/coronavirus-governments-power.html

Former Supreme Court Justice: ‘This is what a police state is like’

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/former-supreme-court-justice-this-is-what-a-police-state-is-like-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Despite a lot being furloughed, our CEO has also asked for everyone to take their 10 days of Holiday accrued by the end of May. Mainly so we as a business can hit the ground running. 

As its a good business to work for, and they treat the staff very well this has been universally accepted. I could imagine it's a little different working for weatherspoons or sports direct. 

I'm fairly confident they can't do this, not an expert obviously but we can only contact our workforce to tell them when to start back, they can't contact us at all because it can be deemed that they are working

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Okay, we're viewing it from different angles sorry.

I'm not talking about their political reach, I'm commenting on what I believe/perceive to be their individual characteristics and capabilities.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Story from my company now is Furlough plan is first 2 weeks full pay (80% claimed back from the government)

3rd and 4th week is full pay but only for 3 days and the other 2 will be taken as holiday.

After some googling there's nothing I can see in the guidelines that means they can't do that. There's all sorts of FAQs online and they nearly all seem to suggest that they can do that

Anything to do with the bank holidays for easter?

I just went to go and see what our postman has put through our door and it was 3 pieces of junk mail.

A leaflet for Domino's pizza, one for Homebase or somewhere similar and a letter to the homeowner with MARKETING written on it.

I would have thought the Royal Mail would have stopped posting this stuff at the moment?

Just now, Paddywhack said:

I just went to go and see what our postman has put through our door and it was 3 pieces of junk mail.

A leaflet for Domino's pizza, one for Homebase or somewhere similar and a letter to the homeowner with MARKETING written on it.

I would have thought the Royal Mail would have stopped posting this stuff at the moment?

It keeps the money rolling in to keep other post affordable. They won't stop unless forced to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Thanks. But I’m ok with the furlough. I understand why they have to do it. It’s not something I’m going to fight. 

was just curious about the holiday part of it

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm being furloughed this week. Which is fine. I understand why it's happening.

But I've just found out they're only fully paying us for one week. Second week we'll be forced to take 2 days holiday. Beyond that I don't know.

Feels a bit shitty of them. I work for a huge company that makes billions of dollars a year and they're getting 80% of our wages paid by the government, yet we're forced to use holiday. Seems a bit shitty.

But again, things could be far worse. As long as there's a job waiting for me afterwards I can't be too unhappy.

That's really shitty of them. The government introduced that package to compensate companies to pay their staff 80% wage in order to protect jobs. Aren't holidays also supposed to be protected? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Did they have your address on? If not, the companies themselves would have posted. But yes, I agree

Â