Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

How many more need to die before people realise distancing from one another is a must and non negotiable.

We will be into the thousands soon enough maybe then it will start to sink in.

I think deep down a lot of the people flaunting the government advice still think it’s a load of fuss about nothing and it’ll blow over. 

I thought this had started to get a political tone to it over the last day or so. Becoming clear why now. Reminds me of the 9/11 ‘good day to bury bad news’ horror show.

Ian Lavery claims coronavirus gives labour a great opportunity

By the way when something like this happens, we’re going to see lots of our own dying as a consequence. But, you know apart from that, it’s going to give the fantastic battalion of Labour Party members, community champions out there a great opportunity of showing how Labour, and why Labour, is best when it gets on the front foot and best when it gets people together.

We need to make sure that we do that, and community organising what a great opportunity it’s going to give us.

FFS, this is grim.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think deep down a lot of the people flaunting the government advice still think it’s a load of fuss about nothing and it’ll blow over. 

I don't understand how people can be so ignorant or stupid especially when you have other countries such as Italy a few weeks ahead of us in the infection curve who are running out of room to put their dead and doctors saying there are so many sick that they are having to refuse giving ventilators to anyone over the age of 60... 

• Like 1

This is alarming:

Article:

Inside Housing has obtained a draft copy of the bill, which would cover England, and is set to go before the House of Commons today. The government had promised it would outlaw evictions in social and private housing during the coronavirus pandemic.

But the bill in fact simply extends the statutory notice period from two months to three for the vast majority of renters – meaning landlords can still serve notice and claim possession at the end of that period.

It also offers no protection to residents who can be evicted without notice – such as those in temporary housing or lodgers.

One source said it was possible other draft bills are under consideration, and that this may not represent the final government plan.

The bill is unlikely to take effect before Friday at the earliest – raising the prospect of a slew of notices before this date. One expert described the measures as “pathetic”, and another source called them “complete crap”.

...more

Edited by snowychap
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I don't understand how people can be so ignorant or stupid 

Never underestimate how stupid many people are. 

So went to give blood today, and it was good to see that they are taking it very seriously.

Hilariously, they had signs on the doors saying "If you have had Coronavirus in the past 28 days, do not enter the building". "If you have been with someone who has had Coronavirus in the past 28 days then do not enter the building".

As I was stood there waiting to be called in, about 6 or 7 people walked up to the signs on the doors and all of them said something along the lines of "How are we supposed to know? They're not testing anyone"

It's so stupid 😂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, leighavfc said:

Not tonight, COBRA meeting

I know he is currently in the cobra meeting but presumed (maybe wrongly) that he would speak afterwards?

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know he is currently in the cobra meeting but presumed (maybe wrongly) that he would speak afterwards?

Yes sorry I meant to say not sure yet as he in cobra. Should be soon I would imagine, maybe 6 pm?

25 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I don't understand how people can be so ignorant or stupid especially when you have other countries such as Italy a few weeks ahead of us in the infection curve who are running out of room to put their dead and doctors saying there are so many sick that they are having to refuse giving ventilators to anyone over the age of 60... 

Clear messaging from the PM might help. 

Stay home. Unless you want to go for a walk. 
Stay home but I still might go and see my mother for Mothering Sunday. 

So many countries are in lock-down. They’ve taken the decision away from the people. As it should be in a situation like this. And I say this as someone who would always resist government imposing their will on people without due process. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Awol said:

I thought this had started to get a political tone to it over the last day or so. Becoming clear why now. Reminds me of the 9/11 ‘good day to bury bad news’ horror show.

Ian Lavery claims coronavirus gives labour a great opportunity

The man is a cnut. I don't have a problem with anyone interrogating the governments actions now or pointing out that we are starting from a low base in terms of where we are with things such as ICU beds and the impact that decimating social care will now have on this crisis. They are just simple facts that even the longest running health secretory in history acknowledged were a mistake and they happened on his watch. It is not the time to be trying to actively make political gain though. 

• Like 4

Â