Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s so stupid, people share a picture of an empty shelf or queue outside a super market and ask others not to panic. 
It’s human nature to panic when you think you might be left behind so it fuels the problem.

I wish Facebook would ban posts like that. 

I wish Facebook would ban Facebook, it’s a bloody horrible place. 

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And even now, with everyone locked into their houses there are still toe-rags out trying to break in - I find it hard to get my head around the mentality of the people who smashed open my neighbours conservatory last night. Have a day off you scumbags.

I think unfortunately we’re going to see the very worst and the very best in people over the coming weeks and months.

I just hope that the good drowns out the bad eventually. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I find it fascinating that people have a compulsion to spread bullshit rumours, even when they probably know they are bullshit rumours. It’s like they just like the excitement of being ‘involved’.

I've no doubt that their is a element of this, but I think that with the vast majority it's down to people being gullible. 

Sadly my missues is like this, if she reads something online it must be true. Some of the potty conversations I've had with her over the years about stuff she has read online is unbelievable. 

I think it would be fool-hardy not to listen to actual experts (where is Gove these days?!) but it's fair to balance up the questions or theories that have a positive slant rather than just revel in the negativity and doom. Both extremes are harmful.

I personally, like most people who can't dictate policy or have a very layman's view of the situation, have a few positive theories or views I like to believe or wonder - without doing anything that would risk others if I'm wrong.

Firstly, I genuinely believe that the death rate may prove to be far far smaller than it currently is. Obviously each statistic is a person but looking purely in a mathematical way the current mortality rate seems quite skewed - if only those feeling bad enough to seek help are tested then mortality rates will always appear higher. Forgetting politics/reporting - IF Germany's mortality rate is 0.3% then that's equally as important a statistic as the other extremes. Furthermore, how sure are we these are EXTRA deaths? Are they a direct result of Covid19 any more than flu might hit vulnerable groups. Or, even more extreme, did they just die anyway and happen to have virus at time?

Secondly, we're further along the road now than the initial panic of "what's this?!". Earlier identification, some procedures in place (less need to test multiple theories) and a few promising leads with either current medication (I read malaria drugs somewhere?) or even vaccines - yes they 'should' go through proper procedures but maybe this will be relaxed if the risk is too high to delay - and maybe all these strands start to take big bites out of it's impact.

Thirdly, ventilators are now one of the sole focuses of industry so hopefully those numbers, coupled with hotel beds and increased NHS staffing will considerably lessen the impact this could have had on our otherwise under resourced service. I believe people average 2-3 weeks on a ventilator if needed so perhaps we can keep this rolling and cater for most.

Finally, there are some positives to focus on. Pollution has plummeted (this in turn may save lives; did read an argument in a leading paper that we actually may end up in a net positive death rate due to all deaths from pollution), people are re-evaluating their impact on the world and it might be the seismic shock the world needed to look at how we deal with everything, politically, financially and morally.

Yes there's a lot of bad stuff going on, yes take precautions and listen to advice and experts. But don't sink in to a depression about it, try to look for hope. You'll feel better for it! If you can't change anything, I think looking for good news is just as valid as looking for depressing stuff.

• Like 4

My company (I have been classed as a key worker) have made provisions and plans to run well into 2021

I work for the blue light section of my company and the email from my CEO this morning on a Saturday has convinced me this is going to go on for a very long time

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I personally think I have already had it, as rumours are coming out now it apparently started in 'America' in August/September an transferred to China.

The flu I had in November/December, around 5/6 others at my office, who we are all in close contact with, (also my partner had it who rarely gets a flu) was like no other we had experienced before. Like a tight band around your head, indigestion type symptoms, occasional shortness of breath. My one colleague runs and was complaining he couldn't run a 400 metres even though he generally does a 5 mile run every weekend. One other guy who I was chatting too yesterday was even admitted to hospital coughing up blood. He was put on a drip and just got better over time, although no explanation was given for what he had. He was refused treatment 3 times doctors saying he just had a bad flu.

I have just been reading on the internet, "its geoengineering, contrails are actually chemicals", naa none of that bullcrap. But some scientists actually saying it must have come from America, as they have the genome A,B,C,D and E strains of it, there is no other country which has all strains. Believe what you like but this is no normal Virus which has come out of nowhere. That market is Wuhan China is centuries old and seems completely random to have happened now!

Almost like the whole Bill Gates kill 80% of the population thing is real & rather good timing on the event 201 pandemic "simulation" too...

Tinfoil hat time i guess but none of them predicted the bog roll issues

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/about

Event 201 was a 3.5-hour pandemic tabletop exercise that simulated a series of dramatic, scenario-based facilitated discussions, confronting difficult, true-to-life dilemmas associated with response to a hypothetical, but scientifically plausible, pandemic. 15 global business, government, and public health leaders were players in the simulation exercise that highlighted unresolved real-world policy and economic issues that could be solved with sufficient political will, financial investment, and attention now and in the future.

The exercise consisted of pre-recorded news broadcasts, live “staff” briefings, and moderated discussions on specific topics. These issues were carefully designed in a compelling narrative that educated the participants and the audience.

The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, World Economic Forum, and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation jointly propose these recommendations.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is the whole point, not sure why you aren't getting it. This is the government in effect saying moithball your business now, send your staff home and lets all come out on the other side. If you have a business where you can't work from home or is essential to the running of the country, bloody shut it now and stop people going to work needlessly

It it could equally apply to businesses like shops, petrol stations, food outlets which are needed especially in rural areas. There’s little incentive for them to continue serving the community.

7 minutes ago, KHV said:

My company (I have been classed as a key worker) have made provisions and plans to run well into 2021

I work for the blue light section of my company and the email from my CEO this morning on a Saturday has convinced me this is going to go on for a very long time

You sound more organised than those of use in the public sector in non-frontline roles classed as key workers! It's quite choatic at our place at the moment, with absolutely no indication of time scales. 

35 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Finally, there are some positives to focus on. Pollution has plummeted (this in turn may save lives; did read an argument in a leading paper that we actually may end up in a net positive death rate due to all deaths from pollution), people are re-evaluating their impact on the world and it might be the seismic shock the world needed to look at how we deal with everything, politically, financially and morally.

Yes there's a lot of bad stuff going on, yes take precautions and listen to advice and experts. But don't sink in to a depression about it, try to look for hope. You'll feel better for it! If you can't change anything, I think looking for good news is just as valid as looking for depressing stuff.

Yep despite the dickheads there is still plenty of good going on & would include the politicians in that. People moan about them all the time but hell at least they are trying to ensure there is something to go back to once this is done at the moment, Not sure how anyone really plans for something like this properly and to just get stuff done rather than the years of debate & slow roll out it usually takes to do anything is exactly what is needed at the moment.

On a personal note too i haven't had a fag since wednesday. Been an on & off smoker for most of the past 25 years but have been on for the last 5 or so. Would normally be going insane about now but have no inclination to inhale anything other than large gulps of fresh air at the moment so if i come out of this the other end as a none smoker for good it will no doubt help in the long run & will leave me about 4 grand a year better off presuming money is still a thing

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I have one of those in my "friend"-lists. Attention-needy. I was at that particular shop 20 minutes before her so I knew that the 3 empty sections were, flour, frozen pizza and frozen microwave food. The rest of the shop (supermarket size) was filled to the brim with items, even bogrolls, absolutely nothing showing any signs of shortage. Normal amount of people in the shop as well for a mid day

She promptly took 3 closeups of the empty shelves and a post saying OMG OMG OMG

If there ever was a time to volley somebody in the jaw.........

What a 🛎 

27 minutes ago, hogso said:

You sound more organised than those of use in the public sector in non-frontline roles classed as key workers! It's quite choatic at our place at the moment, with absolutely no indication of time scales. 

I think they are afraid of mentioning the real timescales 😬

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I liked the post but I hope the outcome isn't that they expect you all to go in every day. ;)

Nope, but people who want to go in can do, as long as it was their day to do so. 

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 19:41, Stevo985 said:

My other half works for a major supermarket. This is false.

Hi Stevo, I acknowledge what you say, and it is a faux pas on my part not to take into account that different locations may have different situations.

I understand how this may be the case in the UK. The UK is able to reasonably provide some local produce for a population of about 65 million, but I gather that the UK does rely on a fair amount of imports? If that is the case, then I understand if supply is strained.

In Australia, we are able to provide a lot of our own fresh produce for a population of 25 million, and each day the stores are stripped but replenished in a reasonable turnaround.

In Japan, a cheap alternative to eating out all the time is to go to the supermarkets. We were spoilt for choice, and the shelves were always well stocked in whichever supermarket we went to. There was some gaps in the toilet paper shelf, but toilet paper was always available. ( Their big thing was face masks). I think that they are just more sane and rational than a lot of other parts of the world.

I still however stand by my opinion that hoarding and stripping out supermarkets is a selfish act, no matter where you are or what the situation is.

Â