Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Italy show signs of slowing after taking much more drastic measures than Britain has

Italian coronavirus infections have slowed in recent days after the country took drastic quarantine measures to stop the spread of the pathogen. The figures are a sobering warning to Britain, which unlike Italy has not closed schools, shut down shops or blocked travel.  

The number of daily cases in Italy has been stagnant in the last four days, settling down at around 3,500 new patients per day.

Daily Mail

To take strict measures last week was already too late, but to let it go wild and build the herd immunity approach doesn't work.

• Like 1

I don't know why we keeping f'ing around. Shut the schools now. Only leaving the house for essential reasons allowed. Get Police/Army at all supermarkets ensuring only so many people in stores at one time and no selfishness of bulk buying leaving others with nothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This is saving lives!

Is it worth it?

That's no **** way to live. And we're talking about this maybe lasting a year, perhaps longer? **** that, I'll take my chances. I don't want to live a year under house arrest.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

The herd immunity 'plan' only works if you've got a vaccine or you have a healthcare system with limitless resources or you're prepared to let hundreds of thousands die and for the healthcare system to collapse.

• Like 1

I don't understand the new Tesco rules. Max 3 of any item? So 3 single bananas? What if i buy those bananas in the plastic bags, so 3 of those bags is like 15-18 bananas.

Just now, Daniel said:

I don't understand the new Tesco rules. Max 3 of any item? So 3 single bananas? What if i buy those bananas in the plastic bags, so 3 of those bags is like 15-18 bananas.

3 4 packs of bog paper or 3 32 packs of bog paper

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is it worth it?

That's no **** way to live. And we're talking about this maybe lasting a year, perhaps longer? **** that, I'll take my chances. I don't want to live a year under house arrest.

That information has come from my friend as to what life is like in Spain not me. I have some sympathy for your opinion and I guess plenty would share it which is why they will possibly need to deploy the army onto the streets.

Edited by markavfc40

Just now, markavfc40 said:

That information has come from my friend as to what life is like in Spain not me. I have some sympathy for your opinion and I guess plenty would share it which is why they will need to deploy the army onto the streets.

Yeah I get that, wasn't aimed at you as such, I know you weren't saying it.

Makes me wonder though. How many deaths are we willing to tolerate to prevent life being completely shit for everyone.

I think I'd rather top myself than spend a year at home not allowed to go out to do anything or see friends or family.

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Eh? NHS website says nothing about headaches.

Stay at home if you have coronavirus symptoms

Stay at home if you have either:

• a high temperature – you feel hot to touch on your chest or back
  • a new, continuous cough – this means you've started coughing repeatedly

Those are just the symptoms they're telling you to self isolate with if you have them, because they're the most common to Covid and least common to everything else.

If they told everyone who had a headache to self-isolate then we'd all be in quarantine already :D 

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is it worth it?

Sounds like

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah I get that, wasn't aimed at you as such, I know you weren't saying it.

Makes me wonder though. How many deaths are we willing to tolerate to prevent life being completely shit for everyone.

I think I'd rather top myself than spend a year at home not allowed to go out to do anything or see friends or family.

Sounds great to me.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sounds like

Sounds great to me.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, I can accept being called a word removed but you need to be a bit more clear :D

Literally everything is a tradeoff. How many lives would we save if we banned cars? Millions. But we don't, because it's worth the tradeoff. You draw the line at a certain point of deaths to everyone else's enjoyment of life.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, I can accept being called a word removed but you need to be a bit more clear :D

Literally everything is a tradeoff. How many lives would we save if we banned cars? Millions. But we don't, because it's worth the tradeoff. You draw the line at a certain point of deaths to everyone else's enjoyment of life.

Being under house arrest for a year is not living anyway so might as well go out, get fully COVID-19'd up and take your chances......

26 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Italy show signs of slowing after taking much more drastic measures than Britain has

That doesn't seem to tally with the news on Sky 5 mins ago  ,   (Number of deaths in Italy rises by 475 in a single day to 2,978 )

43 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't know why we keeping f'ing around. Shut the schools now. Only leaving the house for essential reasons allowed. Get Police/Army at all supermarkets ensuring only so many people in stores at one time and no selfishness of bulk buying leaving others with nothing.

The problem with shutting the schools: its the only meal some kids get and its where the kids don’t get punched.

They’ve literally been buying time to work out a plan for the at risk kids.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

Merkel has said its the hardest times and biggest test since the end of the 2nd World War 

Did a live TV thing earlier (her 1st ever live address in 15 years in charge) which is repeated on all the main channels later, does a statement or broadcast pretty much every day 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Sad 1

Â