Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The only apples to apples comparison you were doing by claiming that 'by all accounts is less hard on the body than a normal flu' was saying that 'by all accounts Pink Ladies are nicer than Braeburns'.

May I suggest a read of CDC's website, WHO's website and\or a whole raft of the reports from people who have had\has corona about how they are feeling. Most people report it like that of a bit of a heavy cold. There are of course outliers who have it worse, and then there's people who have no symptoms at all. 

Reports suggest that corona is an issue when left untreated. Just like influenza. It took time for China to react in Hubei which meant a higher death rate. It's taken time for Italy to react in their areas out of control, which again means a massive spike in death rates.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported. 

Edited by magnkarl

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Reports suggest that corona is an issue when left untreated. Just like influenza. It took time for China to react in Hubei which meant a higher death rate. It's taken time for Italy to react in their areas out of control, which again means a massive spike in death rates.

I agree that failure to react has created huge issues and cost lives. In UK we have told people to wash their hands more and advised over 70's to not take a cruise holiday. Seems we have learned f all from others failing to react quickly enough.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

May I suggest a read of CDC's website, WHO's website and\or a whole raft of the reports from people who have had\has corona about how they are feeling. Most people report it like that of a bit of a heavy cold. There are of course outliers who have it worse, and then there's people who have no symptoms at all. 

Death rates are not accurate as there are so many untested people with the virus recovering at home that are not part of the data.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Death rates are not accurate as there are so many untested people with the virus recovering at home that are not part of the data.

Which is also true. Denmark, Norway and Sweden have stopped testing people not in risk groups due to the generally mild progression of the disease if you are a healthy individual below 70. The number of infected is probably a lot higher. 

Instead people who have symptoms are asked (or forced) to work at home and self isolate to avoid infecting people have health concerns.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Which is also true. Denmark, Norway and Sweden have stopped testing people not in risk groups due to the generally mild progression of the disease if you are a healthy individual below 70. The number of infected is probably a lot higher. 

Instead people who have symptoms are asked (or forced) to work at home and self isolate to avoid infecting people have health concerns.

Sweden has stopped testing because we no longer have the capacity to test people and it's no point to keep track anymore since the figures will be inaccurate anyway. Even infected people at some of the big hospitals are being asked to come in and work.

Just like in the UK Sweden are adopting the herd immunity approach. 

11 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

But that is how ‘most people’ report the flu, so how is COVID-19 better? I have also seen it reported that some younger people who have recovered have had permanent scar tissue on their lungs from their immune system fighting the virus. I’d like to see the evidence for your claim that it is in fact easier on the body than the flu.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

No need. I fully appreciate and understand all of that, i.e. that a significant proportion of those with the virus report that their symptoms are mild to moderate, but again it (and what you have written here, above) does not support what you were originally saying, i.e. that 'by all accounts is less hard on the body than a normal flu.'

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wish I was one of the ones who've already had it and recovered. 

While we wish for stuff, I wish I never get it and neither any of my friends and relatives!

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wish I was one of the ones who've already had it and recovered. 

The guy at work who sits immediately in front of me was off last week and believes he had it. He's asking to come back to the office (was messaging me earlier). He said he suffered with "body pains" and hot sweats for around 3 to 4 days.

20 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

But that is how ‘most people’ report the flu, so how is COVID-19 better? I have also seen it reported that some younger people who have recovered have had permanent scar tissue on their lungs from their immune system fighting the virus. I’d like to see the evidence for your claim that it is in fact easier on the body than the flu.

You can turn your argument on its head. During the Aussie Flue (H3N2 ) epidemic (or pandemic as it was world wide) in 2017 many people had the same kind of damage to their lungs. Corona causes pneumonia just like H3N2 which again leads to scarring, that isn't isolated to corona, or to flu for that matter.

Generally the fever is lower in most of the cases of corona than it was during the Aussie flue where everyone no matter their age reacted in a heavier way to the virus. Corona mainly causes severe symptoms to older people or people with weakened immune systems.

Edited by magnkarl

The chinese are accusing the american military of starting the virus. They say that they acknowledge the virus started in china but feel there are links to a closed down military base in the US and that the virus wss released in Wuhan.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The chinese are accusing the american military of starting the virus. They say that they acknowledge the virus started in china but feel there are links to a closed down military base in the US and that the virus wss released in Wuhan.

Did they say that while chewing on a bat? 

Btw, shout out to us Brummies, Ozzy did that shit before it became a thing.

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

You can turn your argument on its head. During the Aussie Flue (H3N2 ) epidemic (or pandemic as it was world wide) in 2017 many people had the same kind of damage to their lungs. Corona causes pneumonia just like H3N2 which again leads to scarring, that isn't isolated to corona, or to flu for that matter.

Generally the fever is lower in most of the cases of corona than it was during the Aussie flue where everyone no matter their age reacted in a heavier way to the virus. Corona mainly causes severe symptoms to older people or people with weakened immune systems.

Again, I’d just like you to provide your sources for these claims.

Â