Pre-match thread

wedge

15 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I will never, ever understand how Leicester is pronounced “Lester.”  It will always bug me, and for that completely rational reason I hate the Foxes. Throw the full might of Villa at them and let’s go back to Wembley for the 3rd straight season.

How do you feel about Loughborough?

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

God, remember that game!? It was incredible.

I remember all the TVs showing ‘exit to Wembley’ or something to that affect on the way out of the ground after the match, surreal game which we were struggling in until they had a man sent off (I think)

• Like 2

Sky Sports pundit, Thommo, has us down to lose 1-2. He's clearly been watching us lately as his clinical insight shows... 

Thommo's prediction

Aston Villa did really well at the King Power. They defended well and defended deep. Can they get away with it again? I doubt it. Because Villa are at home, I think they will score and they will be more adventurous than they were in the first leg. I think Leicester will have too much for them. Villa will have to come out slightly and play and this will play into Leicester's hands and give them more room to work it in behind Villa's back four. :suspect:

Thommo predicts: Aston Villa 1-2 Leicester (15/2 with Sky Bet)

We will be just 90 minutes away from a fifth visit to Wembley in five years tonight. Our visitors, will still expect to go through, despite being held in the first-leg and perhaps being fortunate to go into tonight's game all square. We face a crucial league game on Saturday, but we have had a week off since our last game and will have a fortnight off after this one. The need to rest players is therefore less of an issue and this is a semi-final in any case.

If we do win this one, we are likely to face Manchester City in the final and that would represent a daunting task. However, both tonight's visitors and our potential Wembley opponents, won easily on their recent league visits to Villa Park. We are not going into tonight's game certain of defeat, so why if we win this one, should we then go into the final, expecting to be defeated? Neither Leicester or Manchester City, are currently at their very best, so its not beyond the realms of possibility, that we could actually win both of these games. Having reached this stage of the competition, I wouldn't be resting players and although we are not favourites to reach the final or to win it should we get there, that doesn't stop us wanting to continue this cup run. We are Aston Villa after all!   

Overall, we have won 3 and have drawn 3 of the 8 league cup games, that there have been between the two clubs. We last lifted the trophy in 1996 and have won it five times in all. It's been far too long since we won this cup and too long since we last played in Europe (in 2010). We need to win tonight's game first in order to be in with a chance of doing either. Reaching a final is not always a distraction, it can also give confidence, which can be taken into league games. Just win this one for us Villa!  :hooray:         

• Like 3

I think/hope to see our strongest possible 11 selected to play tonight. Cup semifinals don’t come along too often for us, we must do all we can to give ourselves the opportunity of getting to the final. We have two weeks rest after the weekend, having just had a full week to prepare for this game. No rest is required now. Give it 100% tonight. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I remember all the TVs showing ‘exit to Wembley’ or something to that affect on the way out of the ground after the match, surreal game which we were struggling in until they had a man sent off (I think)

I was late getting in and missed Blackburn's first goal due to traffix. I watched the highlights last night with my boy. We had prime Ashley Young, James Milner, Downing and Gabby in that side.

17 hours ago, romavillan said:

Apparently not, would be much better if it did though. You should be rewarded in the case of a draw if you've scored more goals away from home IMO. No though, they don't come into play tomorrow.

The league cup was always unfair with it's use of it anyway.

Away goals only counted AFTER extra time. Which meant one team inevitably got 30 minutes more game time away from home than the other team, so more time to score an away goal.

To be honest these days I don't think away goals in domestic competition should come into it.