Pre-match thread

wedge

If our 4-1 loss is anything to go by, we have a great chance of being competitive and even winning, so long as we don't concede and allow them to pick us off as we chase.

We were every bit as good, if not better, than Leicester until Wes gifted that pass in midfield and they consequently took a few quality touches and were in. From then on it was difficult.

So far Liverpool and a 4-3-3 have been the only system to make Leicester come unstuck in both home and away fixtures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

It's been a good cup run but wouldn't be to upset if it ended with this game, good chance for Ally to have a run out before Bournemouth!

This baffles the life out of me. Why wouldn’t you mind if we never got to a cup final? If that’s the case why bother, let’s just go out first round. We need to get rid of this kind of thing at the club. 

• Like 3

The beauty of cup games is anything can happen. I want us to knock Leicester out and get back to Wembley. What happens in the following 90 mins is unknown. A one off game can always throw up a surprise. But you’ve got to be in it to win it. 

• Like 2

So would we rather a 90% Vardy or a highly motivated Perez up front?  I'd nearly go with Vardy given what Perez did to West Ham after Vardy's injury.  Of course that changes if Vardy is 100% :)

33 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

Rodgers has confirmed Vardy injury not as bad as first feared

Will definitely miss our FA Cup game tomorrow but is hopeful for Tuesday

He's a bum i heard! ;)

16 hours ago, zab6359 said:

It's been a good cup run but wouldn't be to upset if it ended with this game, good chance for Ally to have a run out before Bournemouth!

Samatta will hear a packed Holte End roaring his name and know he is two games away from playing for Villa in Europe next season. I would be a little disappointed if he has "pre-Bournemouth run-out" pencilled into his diary.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 21:11, MaVilla said:

Not sure how I feel about this, a showing at Wembley would be nice, but the Bournemouth game is pretty near to this game....

Wasnt our last cup final also the year we went down???

It's a game we have to play and a victory would send our momentum into orbit. The little rest will also hopefully give us an edge. Another semi - final classic under the Villa Park floodlights, what's there not to like? 

• Like 3

Semi finals I’ve been to see us in:

WBA (h)

Boro (h)

Liverpool (W)

Bradford (h)

Bradford (a)

Chelsea (W)

Bolton (W)

4 wins on the day even though Bradford was not enjoyable at all, hope to make it 5/8! 

• Like 1

last League Cup semi final 2nd leg I went to was in 1977 the "epic" against QPR first leg (I think was 1 - 1) and at Villa Park it was 2 - 2 a fantastic atmosphere - I will never forget that. Then of course the replay at Highbury where I saw Sir Brian score a hat trick against what were the media darlings at the time complete with Stan Bowles their star player....

that song we sang that night....about Stan Bowles wife alleged affair at the time....

"Where's your wife gone?, where's you wife gone?, where's your wife gone Stanley Bowles?

With the milkman, with the milkman, with the milkman Stanley Bowles"

A classic!! 

• Like 4