Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Watford

limpid

Match Polls  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/20 at 23:59

23 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

It was pretty much all villa without really testing foster 1st half. Watfords goal came against the run of play.

one of my favourite players that i watch on match of the day gerrard delafeo did absolutley jack all. I was suprised when trez got subbed I thought el gazi should of gone.

I thought Drinkwater had another decent shift.

Luiz has made an great impact as sub in the last two games. always good to see players celebrating by jumping in to the fans.

You feeling alright mate?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, supermon said:

They just showed extended highlights on sky sports, frikkin buzzin still!!

I just watched the way the players celebrated that final goal a few times. Nobody can ever say these players don’t care. Target was going nuts.  Best way to win a game. 

• Like 2

On 21/01/2020 at 23:50, Spoony said:

I actually have some respect for Deeney. He’s a bluenose, he **** hates us, he plays out of his skin against us, winds us up and he scores against us.

Obviously he’s a knob, but that’s proper football and how it should be. We’d be all about that if he were a Villan. 

He is a decent sort.

Over 90 minutes, we averaged 6 men in our attacking half, compared to their 4, in the final third, we averaged 3 men, to their 0. For our 65% possession, more often than not, it was in attacking territory over the 90 minutes. We had a pass rate 14% better than Watford, even though we made well over 200 more passes. When we were dispossessed, over 80% of the time it was in our attacking half, something we have been quite poor at for large parts of this season, add to this one third of our tackles were attempted in our attacking half, meaning we were trying to win the ball back early and continue the attacking pressure. We had 5 players who between them averaged a half dozen crosses each (imagine if we had a proper striker to get on the end of those), and we had 4 players who averaged 3 key passes each among them.

I know statistics often can't account for significant factors that only human observation can discern, but I just wanted to show how impressive we were in achieving the desired outcomes that I and others have been discussing regarding Smith's approach and tactics. We thoroughly implemented out system and approach and applied it against to Watford, to great effect.

• Like 3

Great win, and proper scenes at the end. What I enjoyed also was the atmosphere. It wasn’t a particular great atmosphere, but there was an edge about it. The Villa fans weren’t putting up with no shit off anyone. We let our players know when we weren’t happy and we let the Watford players know we weren’t happy with their time wasting. It was very moody which added to the game. The players showed a lot of character and fight which is good to see. 

• Like 3

Watched the game on my mobile and there was a delay of a couple of minutes, which meant that I got from another app that Konsa had scored about 2 minutes before he did and naturally I got the final result too before he scored. It took some from the instant happiness, but on the other hand I got to cheer about 4 times.

A much needed win, we all know that. And as someone said earlier in the thread: We deserved it. That's even better. We can still get better, but this was an improvement.

I put Reina as MotM. His distribution is better than we've seen from a Villa keeper in a long time and I think he can become very important for us this season. He might even be an improvement on Heaton.

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Great win, and proper scenes at the end. What I enjoyed also was the atmosphere. It wasn’t a particular great atmosphere, but there was an edge about it. The Villa fans weren’t putting up with no shit off anyone. We let our players know when we weren’t happy and we let the Watford players know we weren’t happy with their time wasting. It was very moody which added to the game. The players showed a lot of character and fight which is good to see. 

Yeah was a huge game and there were some serious limbs when the winner went in.

Welcome back by the way!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Over 90 minutes, we averaged 6 men in our attacking half, compared to their 4, in the final third, we averaged 3 men, to their 0. For our 65% possession, more often than not, it was in attacking territory over the 90 minutes. We had a pass rate 14% better than Watford, even though we made well over 200 more passes. When we were dispossessed, over 80% of the time it was in our attacking half, something we have been quite poor at for large parts of this season, add to this one third of our tackles were attempted in our attacking half, meaning we were trying to win the ball back early and continue the attacking pressure. We had 5 players who between them averaged a half dozen crosses each (imagine if we had a proper striker to get on the end of those), and we had 4 players who averaged 3 key passes each among them.

I know statistics often can't account for significant factors that only human observation can discern, but I just wanted to show how impressive we were in achieving the desired outcomes that I and others have been discussing regarding Smith's approach and tactics. We thoroughly implemented out system and approach and applied it against to Watford, to great effect.

@A’Villan in conventional sentence spacing shocker

😜

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2020 at 04:49, withes_shin said:

With regards to Luiz starting ahead of Drinkwater I was discussing this last night with mates in the pub before the game where the general consensus was that Luiz should start.  I, however, was of the opinion that the reason Drinkwater starts and plays the first 60-70 minutes is a plan by Smith to allow the opposing midfielders to tire before bringing on the fresh legs of Luiz when he has more space to play in and therefore create more chances (or in last nights case score).

Thanks for taking time to read my ramblings (which is more than my mates did!)

I agree 100%

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

@A’Villan in conventional sentence spacing shocker

😜

When I remember to be somewhat less of a nuisance and adhere to social and writing norms, you can expect more of it!

• Haha 1

On 23/01/2020 at 05:57, A'Villan said:

Unfortunately, the best striker in the world can't do much if the cross doesn't make it past the shin of the first defender or flies over the opposite touchline like that one of Targett's after Jack played him in with that delicious backheel.

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

Unfortunately, the best striker in the world can't do much if the cross doesn't make it past the shin of the first defender or flies over the opposite touchline like that one of Targett's after Jack played him in with that delicious backheel.

I'm pretty sure that was a shot or he was between 2 minds about shot or cross and that was result. Good shot later forcing keeper to parry for Luiz goal

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm pretty sure that was a shot or he was between 2 minds about shot or cross and that was result. Good shot later forcing keeper to parry for Luiz goal

He was practically on the left byline and kicked it with his left foot.   If that was a shot he's delusionally overconfident.  Had a good game and the shot for Luiz' goal was sweetly struck, but that cross was atrocious and unfortunately too representative of the deliveries we're getting into the box.  The point is, getting a striker with aerial prowess into the box won't solve our problems unless our crossing also improves.

Â