Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Watford

limpid

Match Polls  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/20 at 23:59

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I actually have some respect for Deeney. He’s a bluenose, he **** hates us, he plays out of his skin against us, winds us up and he scores against us.

Obviously he’s a knob, but that’s proper football and how it should be. We’d be all about that if he were a Villan. 

Same. Jack and he were clowning around together pre kick off.  The blokes a bluenose and enjoys winding us up. Thats fine. As you say I loved it when Gabby did that for us.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Just got home - head, chest, everything nearly exploded when we scored the winner. Feeling elated, but FFS it is stressful supporting the Villa.

Great performance against the w***kers known as Watford who did everything they could to slow down the game. Martin Atkinson was a disgrace as ref. I knew Pearson’s wheels would come off tonight but waiting till seconds from end for it to happen nearly gave me a nervous breakdown. 

Grealish, did everything he could to drive team forward in the second, worked like a Trojan and led by example. Hause’s dodgy passing was a big problem, but he was better in the second. Al Ghazi never stopped running, Trez is limited but he never stops, great performances by Target and Guilbert But MOTM was Marvellous - absolutely stunning performance - where the hell did that come from? He now has his confidence.. Finally it looks like we can play as a team but still work to do - but we can only get better now. Smith used same tactic as 2nd half against Brighton, telling centre backs to push further up - risky but it worked. Bring on Leicester and Bournemouth! 

Villa Park was absolutely rocking at the end. F*** off Deeney, you fat bluenose ex-convict.

A great night, UTV!

• Like 3

I think I remember reading that Deeney's brother is a Villa fan, that's why he wanted Grealish's shirt after the game at Vicarage Road... Edit found the comments...

“There is a lot of pressure on Jack. He carries a massive club on his shoulders. He gave me his shirt for my little bother who is a Villa fan, so what happens on the pitch stay on the pitch. “We shake hands and crack on. He’s a good kid.”

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dounavilla said:

I live in Watford and just screamed when that winner went in, I'm fully expecting my Watford supporting neighbours to come crashing through my door any sec !!!

I think they were probably screaming too, but they were screaming in despair and crying inconsolable tears, just like Deeney...😢

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Villa really are one of the poorest sides to be in the Prem in the last decade. Grealish is the only player that has something about him, everyone else, is championship at best. Let’s be honest, Grealish wouldn’t even start for us. Deulofeu, Doucoure, Sarr. He’s not taking any of their spots. 

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/aston-villa-vs-watford-fc-21-01-2020.56739/page-3

The fans are here are utter trash. 

A good friend of mine is a Watford fan. Reason being is because her grandad died not too long ago and was a massive hornet fan. Her grandad basically help raise her and she seen him as a father figure so obviously hits nerve for her. 

I watched them best Wolves in the semi-final with her last April and as soon as that whistle blew it was mine and my friends objective to get her to Wembley. Not just for her but for her grandpops and just knowing how much it would mean, win lose or draw. 

Struggling to get tickets I did similar to what we have had on here on VT down the years of outside fans looking for advise or even tickets for a friend in a similar or unsimilar situations. I’ve been active here since 05/06 so figured it a safe heaven on these kinds forums. 

All I asked was for guidance on potentially getting tickets, explaining why. Wow! What a backlash I got from the lot of them (minus 2/3 users). It was rotten and I received some horrible responses that I won’t even repeat on here because frankly, it was disgusting. 

Watford are seems as a small, family friendly club but man, I didn’t seem that way. 

Anyways I got the tickets in the end and she went to game a cried from start to finish and not because of the result but because of the feeling of being there for her, her grandad and family. Football is more than we realise sometimes. 

I’ll have soft spot for Watford because of my pal but I after my experience on that forum and the fact TD plays for them, I’m not a fan deep down. 

Oh and MOTM Nakamba or Pepe.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Where do people usually find highlights of the game? I’m never sure what country I’m supposed to be in to watch some of the ones on Twitter. 

Found a good one with UK commentary which is surprising to be uploaded this quick 

https://highlightsfootball.net/video/aston-villa-vs-watford-highlights/

couldn't watch live.  my employer had other plans.  but I could reasonably follow the match comments on here.  The negative reactions were as usual, OTT.  One thing I noticed was how often one of the back three pushed the attack moving very far forward.  Most often it was Konsa.  Guilbert looked very good.  I love Trezeguet's work rate and industry.  Nakamba's first two touches were horrible, but after that he was very good.  I really think he has great potential.  He reads the game very, very well, often disrupts the opponent just by where he has positioned himself.  I like us in a three back formation, I especially like it when one of the three moves into the attacking game.  overall, think we did quit well in the first half (i'll watch the second half another time)  the goal was a stupid error by Konsa.  it helps to less pesimistic about things when I know the final score.  :)

5 hours ago, useless said:

I think I remember reading that Deeney's brother is a Villa fan, that's why he wanted Grealish's shirt after the game at Vicarage Road... Edit found the comments...

“There is a lot of pressure on Jack. He carries a massive club on his shoulders. He gave me his shirt for my little bother who is a Villa fan, so what happens on the pitch stay on the pitch. “We shake hands and crack on. He’s a good kid.”

Fair play. I kind of like how he rips the piss out of us when he scores. I just wish he wouldn't score so bloody often. Rivalry like that is what footballs about. We'd love him to bits if he was one of ours. Very good striker. 

• Like 2

What a night that was! Still buzzing over the last minute winner, the carnage in the Holte End when it went in was magnificent.

Felt like we deserved the win over the course of the 90 minutes, mainly for the amount of possession and chances we created.

Unfortunately we have made a habit of playing poorly for at least 45 minutes in games, we make mistakes, move the ball too slowly, overhit crosses and generally waste opportunities. The first half was typical of Villa this season, we played the best football, we created nothing and then we conceded from a mess at the back.

The second half was a huge improvement. Luiz changed the game with his introduction, and then Vassilev going on up front and allowing El Ghazi to move out wide again made a difference. Konsa/Mings goal was absolutely perfect.

Hause and Drinkwater are the worry's in the side for me. Drinkwater will no doubt improve with match fitness, for all the bad he does there are signs of a player in there. Hause worries me everytime he gets hold of the ball, there's complacency on the ball and then there is Kourtney Hause.

Nakamba was immense, his best performance in a Villa shirt. It reminded me of the performance he put in against Norwich away. He is a better player when he has a player behind him bossing him around, both Mings and Reina did that last night.

Both wing backs were good, defensively and going forward (bar the crossing), Reina and Mings were defensively sound and Grealish was superb. Jack grew frustrated near the end, trying to carry the ball into the net himself, but drove the team on upto the final whistle at a time that we needed it.

Hard to underestimate how big that victory was. With a striker in Samatta now going into the side it will be a huge lift for the players ahead of Leicester on Tuesday and Bournemouth next week.

Such a huge 3 points. I was exhausted by the end but couldn't sleep! 

I was critical of Drinkwater before the game but like others thought he looked better, fitter and his passing and movement were good. Happy to eat humble pie 🥧  and say that he exceeded my expectations massively.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

Â