Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Watford

limpid

Match Polls  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/20 at 23:59

26 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Tuesday afternoon here in Minnesota. Found myself screaming alone at a bar while a bunch of Chelsea fans congratulated me. Up the bloody Villa, this is why we bother to care

Similar atmosphere to when you beat Nonce State.

But with Troy Deeney.

• Like 1

Take that you time wasting rocket polishers

came for a point ... got none , they probably regret not going for the kill when they had us floundering at 1-0

possibly the worst referring performance of the season , even if he may have saved Mings a second yellow

if our 2 new strikers can hit the ground running , who knows maybe we will survive after all

1 hour ago, blunther said:

Just wanted to say after they started time wasting at 0-0 I tried to count how many times the referee had to signal to hurry up and stop timewasting. 14. Fourteen times and not one yellow for it. Absolutely spineless refereeing from an utterly useless referee. The timewasting bastards got what they deserved!

Yes I accept all teams do it to an extent but Atkinson had no control whatsoever. Shocking performance from him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m suprised at how one sided these stats look. Didn’t feel it first half at all. Especially with how much the fans around me where moaning. 

Yes it was a moaners special tonight. On the players backs right from the off. Let’s hope the Win stops all that for a bit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m suprised at how one sided these stats look. Didn’t feel it first half at all. Especially with how much the fans around me were moaning. 

Didn’t I tell you last week it might all look very different by tonight ?

A Win and a draw and both after being behind 🙂

• Like 2

Just reading the Watford board somebody posted a few pages back....how delusional are they!!!  Interesting their views before the game and after the game.

One guy even said Grealish wouldn’t get in their team 😂😂😂

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

What a finish, the noise was unbelievable, my arms hurt, my voice is done for the week. It was incredible - joy, relief, the bursting of frustration, it was pure, justified, passionate noise - it fills your lungs and your ears and your chest and your heart. I love coming out of Villa Park at times like that, people bound, they smile, they shout, they sing in the street - it's a collective energy, something that's in all of you all at once. I love this f***ing game.

We won that on effort, we haven't got a striker, we occasionally looked lost without one, but we've got heart and legs and the players we have overcame the players we don't have. I thought we deserved it, we edged it on the night and we were the team that wanted it most.

Watford scored early and played the spoiler - assisted by what I would have to say is the weakest display of refereeing I think I've ever seen. It wasn't a Kevin Friend comedy of bad decisions, Atkinson got a lot of decisions right - it's just that he didn't take any action on any of them - he should have booked Foster for time wasting with ten minutes left in the first half - a warning the first time, then a booking the second - he didn't do that, he didn't even do it on the fourteenth time. There was a point in the second half where Watford had a throw in, a player walked over to take it, got to the ball, turned around and walked away, then another walked over and had a look at it without picking it up - Atkinson waved his arms around and slapped his thighs with frustration - as if he'd forgotten he was the referee. By the time Watford got their first booking I'd counted five that should have already been issued. The Watford staff are currently trying to turn this game into one that they only lost because Tyrone Mings didn't get a second booking for handball - which was at least consistent - no one got a booking for anything - which meant that Watford time wasted constantly for an hour, it meant they stood over every free kick, it meant they marched every throw in half way down the field, it meant they chopped Jack Grealish down whenever they felt like it - it meant they took the mick out of a referee that had no control of the game whatsoever.

And they got exactly what they deserved.

I thought Nakamba was brilliant, he won the ball back more often than Drinkwater gave it away (which is some going), Grealish at times looked like he was on his own against Watford and very nearly winning, Douglas Luiz's finish was better than he's getting credit for and Targett got forward really well. Of course we look ropey when we get trapped passing the ball around at the back - that'll fix itself some when we get a striker on the field. We had moments where we looked awful - but there were moments of talent like Reina's double save, and there was effort and determination in every Guilbert slide, every Trezeguet chase and every battle with Watford's behemoths. 

And then there was that finish.

Hugs with strangers, screams, fists to the sky...just the most wonderful full stop on a sentence that said "Up yours Deeney!" This win won't keep us up, but seasons are made of moments and this moment will help us an awful lot. It's one a lot of players will remember, and not just Ezri Konsa. What a debut night at Villa Park for Pepe Reina, and imagine if you will how young Indiana Vassilev feels as he gets into his bed tonight....a couple of weeks ago I watched him bag a couple of goals at Bodymoor Heath in front of a hundred people - there was a smattering of applause - he's just been involved in something just a little bit more extraordinary. Tomorrow he gets to stroll into Bodymoor and tell Tyreik Wright and Jacob Ramsey and Mungo Bridge what that felt like, tomorrow he's king of his world.

Tonight, maybe just a little bit, and just for a moment, we were all king of our world.

Superb write up. As for the referee, he was the same at Villa Park earlier in the season against Bournemouth so at least he is consistent...

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I agree, at least it's a reasonable hour in NZ, here I have to watch in absolute silence on my own...... Oh and I remember Young's winner like yesterday too, 3-2 the end result no?

I am in Bangkok and that winner last night went in around 4.30am.. running around my front room trying not to wake the mrs up! 

Absolutely massive 3 points.

Nakamba man of the match for me, he was everywhere 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Samatta and who else?

Dunno tbh ,  heard Smith  on Radio 5 live on the journey home saying a second striker was very close .. but no hints as to who it may be 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is the games you live to watch live or in pub with some Villa mates. Remember like it was yesterday being in Dublin pub with Villa crew watching Young score last minute winner against Everton and we went nuts. Worst part of living in NZ is the crazy hours of games. Weather and beaches just about make up for it

Be back home in April.What time should I call round for the dingles game?😎

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

Be back home in April.What time should I call round for the dingles game?😎

I have three regular bar customers who understand my Villa obsession-An Irishman who supports Everton, another Irishman who supports Liverpool and a Welshman who supports Swansea. The Welsh bloke walked in 2 minutes before the winner and we both jumped up and down and hugged, lol

• Like 1

Heading into work on the train, and watching the game on my phone.

Startled the lady standing next to me when I gave a muffled yell which I tried to turn into a cough, when the Konsa/Mings goal went in. 😂

• Like 3

Â