Recruitment

TRO

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well thanks for your insight.

No point engaging if you're responding like that.

I am not a scout....but i know a not so good player when i see one.

just because I have failed to answer your question, doesn't make the point wrong.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

I am not a scout.

Ah of course.

I predicted this would be the response.

Easy to criticise and create threads and ramble on but difficult to go beyond 'anyone other than him'.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

They did?

Reads like a rewriting of history to me.

I don't think you picked up on the previous posts that the point was an answer to.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ah of course.

Easy to criticise and create threads and ramble on but difficult to go beyond 'anyone other than him'.

What a bizarre thing to say. So he’s not allowed to have an opinion on a player without being able to give you an example of someone we should have signed instead? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There had to be a better LB available across all the leagues in the world than Targett for 14m. Just because we can’t give you a name, it doesn’t mean he isn’t out there. 

If it's that easy, why doesn't every PL have a PL standard LB? Or PL standard players across every position?

And what if we signed another Trez or Wesley at LB? Fans would be yelling 'why didn't we buy someone with PL experience?' or 'Why didn't we spend the money better?'

Targett made a hell of a lot of sense as a signing. PL experience, young, has talent. Is a contrast to the likes of Wesley, Trez who didn't have the PL experience.

Just because it hasn't 100% worked out doesn't mean it wasn't a logical signing at the time.

I just feel it's very easy to criticise or praise any signing in hindsight. People are criticising the Targett and Trez signing when both are totally different in terms of logic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

What a bizarre thing to say. So he’s not allowed to have an opinion on a player without being able to give you an example of someone we should have signed instead? 😂

And you truly believe his response of 'anyone other than him' is a reasonable one? Come off it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ah of course.

er do you have to have a ready made replacement in a debate.....to support the point that a player is not very good, especially in terms of consistency.

Do you think he is trouble free then?...do you think he's a good player.....do you think he is £14 mills worth of player.?

Edited by TRO

I am still laughing to be frank.

Just now, TRO said:

er do you have to have a ready made replacement in a debate.....to support the point that a player is not very good, especially in terms of consistency.

Do you think he is trouble free then?....you know a good player.....do you think he is £14 mills worth of player.?

It's not the point I'm making.

I am just stating that Targett as a signing made a bunch of sense at the time. In a summer where we bought unproven, non-PL or even English football experienced players, Targett was a 'sure thing'. It's very easy to state you'd buy someone else, but at the time it made sense against the unproven, unheard of players we were buying alongside him.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

And you truly believe his response of 'anyone other than him' is a reasonable one? Come off it.

I think given the money spent on Targett, fans have a right to ask questions of his ability for that price. 

‘Anyone other than him’ is perhaps a little too far, agreed, but I think it’s more a response to the ‘well, who would you have signed instead’ which just isn’t fair on someone who isn’t paid to watch left backs the world over. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

you just wanted to me to pick a player for you to pick holes in, be honest......when in fact we was talking about Targett

Just now, TRO said:

you just wanted to me to pick a player for you to pick holes in, be honest......when in fact we was talking about Targett

Nope. Sorry try again. 

I think given the money spent on Targett, fans have a right to ask questions of his ability for that price. 

I agree. Again, not the point being made. My point (and I've said this multiple times) is that Targett made a hell of a lot of sense as a signing at the time, and it's easy to say in hindsight 'I wouldn't have bought him'. 14m is barely anything in this market tbh.

‘Anyone other than him’ is perhaps a little too far, agreed, 

It's an absurd statement.

If somebody holds strong enough opinions to spend this much time starting a thread and replying to every thread, at least have more of a retort than the above if people challenge you imo. It just shuts down healthy debate.

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

‘Anyone other than him’ is perhaps a little too far, agreed, but I think it’s more a response to the ‘well, who would you have signed instead’ which just isn’t fair on someone who isn’t paid to watch left backs the world over. 

I answered it the way I did, because it was a loaded question, from someone who was not prepared to debate, why I thought Targett was poor in some games.

He was questioning my judgement without addressing the point -Targett

I could have come up with a whole list of feasible alternatives and the point about Target would have been conveniently deflected.

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ah of course.

So as an example, you don't criticise politicians, you always have the solution do you.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I answered it the way I did, because it was a loaded question, from someone who was not prepared to debate, why I thought Targett was poor in some games.

He was questioning my judgement without addressing the point -Targett

I could have come up with a whole list of feasible alternatives and the point about Target would have been conveniently deflected.

It wasn't a loaded question, don't give me that much credit.

You started a thread about recruitment, I challenged you on one of your views and you gave a poor response. 

I have my views clear on Targett. I think people criticising him as a player right now are fair.

But as a signing at the time. I'm sorry, just because it hasn't worked out fully doesn't mean it was a bad signing at the time. It made a lot of sense. It ticked boxes other signings didn't.

Just out of interest @StefanAVFC, do you rate Targett?

Not really.

but could quite easily counter it by saying spending 14m on another teams reserve left back isn’t hugely sensible. 

We spent 25m on the team in 19th's 5th choice CB. Football doesn't work in broad strokes like the above.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But you’re asking him who he would have signed instead? What a silly question. The bloke isn’t a scout. He’s not paid 100’s of thousands of pounds to watch players across multiple leagues.

The argument of ‘well, who would you have signed’ is pathetic tbh. Not a slight on you as your posts always seem reasonable. 

There had to be a better LB available across all the leagues in the world than Targett for 14m. Just because we can’t give you a name, it doesn’t mean he isn’t out there. 

If you can’t answer that question then it just looks a bit like you’re shooting from the hip.

In the Wesley thread a lot of people were saying we should have got Maupay. At least there’s a fair debate you can then have about their relative abilities / transfer prices / etc.

Nobody has actually put forward a realistic alternative to Targett at that price, as far as I’ve seen. Which makes me wonder if it was such a bad bit of business. Isn’t the issue more that we’re stuck with Neil Taylor as backup?

Â