Erling Braut Håland

mikeyp102

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They scrapped cup ties a few years back

Strange player, he's so raw, reminds me a lot of sterling, you can see the quality is there but at the same time in the way he runs round and has a bit of bambi on ice about him and he's a bit cumbersome, not involved or looking lively and then bang he's in the game and has pace out of nowhere and then he pulls that 2nd goal out, stunning strike

He'd be really well suited to the PL

The cup tied thing was scrapped this season. It's been an out of date concept for some time now, it should have been abolished as a concept when transfer windows were introduced. 

33 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The cup tied thing was scrapped this season. It's been an out of date concept for some time now, it should have been abolished as a concept when transfer windows were introduced. 

Might want to scrap the away goals rule as well.

Teams fly private jets and if they stay overnight they do so at luxury hotels so it's absolutely no handicap to play away compared to even 20 years ago.

Silly rule.

It's always been slightly unfair imo but it can make games more exciting

Both of the games last night could end up being very good 2nd legs because of the away goal rule 

As the commentary team kept saying last night a 0-0 draw is a better result for dortmund than it is psg 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51560720

The Ronaldo versus Messi era may be coming to an end - and there is one man who seems determined to take over their crown - Erling Braut Haaland.

The 19-year-old Norwegian international has already scored 39 goals this season and shows no sign of slowing down. 

He scored twice for German side Borussia Dortmund last night as they beat Paris St-Germain in the first leg of the Champions League last-16 tie.

Here are 10 things you need to know about one of the hottest properties in world football.

1. Out of nowhere

Haaland was probably only known by football anoraks playing hours and hours of Football Manageruntil he stormed onto the scene by scoring nine goals in a match for Norway at the Under-20 World Cup in 2019.

In just five games for the Under-20 side, Haaland scored an incredible 11 times and was quickly fast-tracked into the senior set-up. 

His goal-scoring exploits made news all over the world as lots of experts called him 'one to watch'.

2. He's got a famous dad

Haaland's dad is also a big deal in Norway.

When Haaland was born, his dad, Alf-Inge Haaland, was playing in the English Premier League for Leeds United. He went on to play for Manchester City and was capped 34 times by his country.

3. Can he play for England?

That means Haaland was born in Leeds...and that mean's he's eligible to play for England.

But before you get too excited, he's already been capped by Norway so there's no chance of him leading England to World Cup victory in the future. 

4. Big impact at 15

Haaland made his senior debut in football at just 15 when he came off the bench in a Norway second-tier league game for Bryne FK against Ranheim IL.

He impressed then-Molde boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer enough to secure a move to the top division. 

Within a year of moving to Molde, he was off again. This time, he was signed by Austrian champions, Red Bull Salzburg.

5. A brilliant alarm tone

Haaland is known for his big Zlaten-esque confident statements. 

For example, when he was talking about his performances in the Champions League, he said: "The Champions League anthem is my alarm tone. I wake up to it everyday...it's the last song I'll get tired of." 

Another good one was: "I sleep with the five balls that I scored a hat-trick with... I look at them every day, they are my girlfriends."

6. Record breaker

Haaland has already scored 39 goals this season. 

This season, he became the first teenager to score in five consecutive UEFA Champions League matches.

He's only the second teenager to score 10 goals in the Champions League.

7. Man Utd link

Before he moved to Dortmund, Haaland was heavily linked with Premier League side Manchester United.

However, experts said at the time that his agent Mino Raiola wasn't happy with Manchester United's treatment of his other client Paul Pogba so blocked the deal. 

Raiola has denied this. 

Instead, Haaland signed for German giants Borussia Dortmund for £16.5 million.

8. Instant impact

Within an hour of his Dortmund career, Haaland had already scored five goals. 

His two goals against PSG mean he has 11 goals in just seven appearances so far. 

9. He's got a 'super agent'

You'll probably recognise the name of Haaland's agent - Mino Raiola.

He's known as a 'super agent' in football and he represents some of the biggest names in the game including Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Mario Balotelli.

However, he's very controversial and just this week called out Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer over his alleged treatment of Paul Pogba.

10. Catch him if you can

At six foot four, Haaland has a lot of body to shift. 

Despite this, during the match against PSG, Haaland ran so fast that he would have qualified for the 60 metres at the 2018 World Athletics Championships. 

That's about 36 km/h (22 mph) in case you were wondering.

Nah

said before when you go goal scoring stat crazy throw gerd muller in the mix*, then realise what it is messi and Ronaldo do and come to the conclusion that it’s not just goal stats that make them special but we’re going stat crazy, for all haalands quality I don’t think he’s generational, mbappe might be

* have messi and Ronaldo even scored the goals he has? Not sure who else has a league, cup, CL, World Cup, euros / regional cup win but I’ll throw it out there (lazily not checking...)  no one has a top scorer in the league, scorer in a cup final, scorer in a European cup final, scorer in a World Cup final, scorer in a European cup final against his name, if you want to go on goals muller was something special but if you watch football with your own eyes you know the difference 

haaland especially compare him to muller not messi and Ronaldo, he’s a goal scorer not much more

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think any current player is comparable to Muller, probably the last was Van Nistelrooy or Inzaghi

Not in playing style just in stats

If you are simply using goalscoring statistical analysis to judge players then muller gets added to a conversation he wouldn't be in if you were judging it on watching them all play

I think people get bogged down in comparing the guy to Ronaldo and Messi, rather than looking at him for what he is. At 19 Messi and Ronaldo were talents but hadn't really achieved much yet. Haaland has always been branded with "Austria is such a farmer's league." He then moved on to Germany and is producing at the same ridiculous rates even in the UCL. You have Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi fans not being able to actually focus on what Haaland is and what kind of age he is at. Messi's always played with the best players in the world around him, so did Ronaldo in his early utd days, and Neymar I'm not even getting started with (I think he's vastly overrated). Haaland played with Minamino who I grant is a good player, but the rest of Salzburg isn't anything special.

Muller was a goal-getter, but Haaland is bigger, stronger and faster than Muller ever was. If his father and team around him manage to keep the kid grounded he'll become a generational talent for sure. There's no other way to explain his production in the UCL\Bundesliga and most likely for his country when they play Serbia next month.

If he beats Lewandowski to the golden boot people surely will have to stop putting the kid down? I for one laud his achievements so far and for sticking to clubs that will play him week in\out. I hope Dortmund go all the way in the UCL as the club has a lot of positives about it.

Edited by magnkarl

42 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I think people get bogged down in comparing the guy to Ronaldo and Messi, rather than looking at him for what he is. At 19 Messi and Ronaldo were talents but hadn't really achieved much yet. Haaland has always been branded with "Austria is such a farmer's league." He then moved on to Germany and is producing at the same ridiculous rates even in the UCL. You have Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi fans not being able to actually focus on what Haaland is and what kind of age he is at. Messi's always played with the best players in the world around him, so did Ronaldo in his early utd days, and Neymar I'm not even getting started with (I think he's vastly overrated). Haaland played with Minamino who I grant is a good player, but the rest of Salzburg isn't anything special.

Muller was a goal-getter, but Haaland is bigger, stronger and faster than Muller ever was. If his father and team around him manage to keep the kid grounded he'll become a generational talent for sure. There's no other way to explain his production in the UCL\Bundesliga and most likely for his country when they play Serbia next month.

If he beats Lewandowski to the golden boot people surely will have to stop putting the kid down? I for one laud his achievements so far and for sticking to clubs that will play him week in\out. I hope Dortmund go all the way in the UCL as the club has a lot of positives about it.

Strange post.

"Always been branded with" He was in Austria 1 year and didn't feature until the last 5 months of that stay.

By putting the kid down you mean saying he isn't at the level that Messis and Ronaldo is?

Everyone is lauding the kid, the only critique I've seen is that he isn't a particularly good rapper :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Strange post.

"Always been branded with" He was in Austria 1 year and didn't feature until the last 5 months of that stay.

By putting the kid down you mean saying he isn't at the level that Messis and Ronaldo is?

Everyone is lauding the kid, the only critique I've seen is that he isn't a particularly good rapper :D 

Just go under any youtube video of Haaland and look at the hate. "Luck" "farmer's league" "not as good as x" "fluke" "Mbappe runs circles around Haaland" etc etc. 

By always I mean since he started appearing in media because of his Salzburg exploits. 

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Just go under any youtube video of Haaland and look at the hate. "Luck" "farmer's league" "not as good as x" "fluke" "Mbappe runs circles around Haaland" etc etc. 

By always I mean since he started appearing in media because of his Salzburg exploits. 

Ah OK thought you were talking about this forum.

And fwiw Haaland still has a lot to accomplish before he can be compared to M'bappé but he's certainly on the right way.

11 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Youtube comments are for cretins, lowest level of humanity 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I think people get bogged down in comparing the guy to Ronaldo and Messi, rather than looking at him for what he is. At 19 Messi and Ronaldo were talents but hadn't really achieved much yet.

At 19 Messi had won La Liga twice and the Champions League once. He'd also found time to do this: 

Messi was a precocious talent. There's just a lot more noise around players today because everybody has got internet access 24/7 now.  

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I cant wait for 27 year old haaland to score a goal for Norway vs England and Jim Beglin to scream down the microphone he's arrived on the big stage

But can he do it on a cold night in Stoke?

Well know fact that the Gulf Stream has turned all Norwegians into soft delicate flowers who can't handle the British Isles.

Â