Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It precedes the Euro championships by 3 years. It’s very very important to the African nations. 

I'm sure it is - but to world football - who gives a shit - even Eurosport have dropped it in recent years . .

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I did these stats another site to highlight how bad Hourihane is for tackles and intercepts. Look who is #1 midfielder for both. 

Tackles:
1st Fred 3pg
2 Nakamba
3 McGinn
4 Hause
5 Targett
15th Hourihane 0.6pg

Interceptions:
1st Targett 2.2pg
2 Fred
3 Nakamba
4 Engels
5 Konsa
15th Hourihane 0.3pg

Yea it’s not surprising at all. The midfield really is a shambles (with the exception of Grealish)

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

How did he do against Liverpool? Full analysis... 

I cant find the full game but ive found the full games against Salzburg and Napoli. In the 6-2 defeat with Salzburg In the first minute he found space between the cb and lb but pass was overhit, and showed good movement from the subsequent corner but cross was under-hit ( familiar no?). 

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'll be honest I didn't expect us to spend a penny this window so to spend £8m on a striker is pretty surprising and welcomed. I'll back him until he proves otherwise.

Me too ....(well at least until 15 mins game time)

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Never seen him play but watching a few videos I really like his movement to score with his head as he's not the tallest. I also welcome a striker who will chase every ball, we really need that right now.

Along as said player gives 100% for the cause, it’s all us as fans can ask for. If the player has quality on top of that, it is an added bonus

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Never seen him play but watching a few videos I really like his movement to score with his head as he's not the tallest. I also welcome a striker who will chase every ball, we really need that right now.

Its all about timing and vision.....look at vardy and his aerial prowess.

4 hours ago, Farlz said:

What exactly were people expecting for them to be underwhelmed by this? 

Indeed, and you could post this comment in almost any thread on here.

Until we are stabilised as a Premier League club our purchases, our quality, our results, our squad depth, will all underwhelm those that don’t see we are one of a group of maybe 20 Clubs ( that’s around a dozen in the top league and half a dozen or so in the Championship) in a mix to make the real grade. 

In respect of transfers we are trying to entice players to a Play Off promoted Club.....players and Agents are acutely aware that Clubs promoted via the play offs have a good chance of going straight back down. Being a squad player at Wolves or Palace is currently a more appealing prospect for some than a starting spot at Villa.

An understanding and acceptance of this might just go a little way to creating a more tolerant, patient, understanding vibe amongst ( some of) the fan base. Who knows it might make the players job of performing to their best a little easier aswell.

Perhaps those unhappy could at least watch the guy play before questioning his ability, the Sporting Directors ability, the Coach’s ability ?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mbwana-ally-samatta-scouting-report-17581575

The Mbwana Ally Samatta scouting report that all Aston Villa fans should read.

Scouting guru Josh Williams takes a look at what the Tanzanian striker would bring to AVFC

Aston Villa's search for a striker seems to have come to an end.

Dean Smith has been desperate to add firepower to his relegation-battlers, especially since Wesley's season-ending knee injury on New Year's Day.

It has even got to the stage where Villa have taken to the field without a recognised centre-forward in recent cup and league matches.

Mbwana Samatta, also known as Ally, has been identified as the man to add the goals Villa need to keep them in the Premier League.

Villa are closing in on an £8.5 million deal for the striker currently plying his trade with Genk, the Belgian club where Christian Benteke made his name pre-Villa.

If the Tanzanian internationals' signature is secured and the paperwork is completed, what will he add? Let's take a look.

Nearing his peak

Samatta is currently 27 years-old which means that he should be nearing his peak. That's not ideal long-term, but on the other hand, he appears ideally suited to contributing immediately to Villa's survival efforts.

The 5ft 11ins striker is competent with both feet, fairly quick, and has improved considerably in the past two years.

He has made 28 appearances in all club competitions so far this season, scoring 10 times and registering two assists. Last year, he managed to make 51 appearances and scored and impressive 32 goals, with six assists also posted.

Clearly, Samatta is the type of player who's inclined to deliver at the business end of the pitch.

It's reasonable to suggest that the Villa target is the most capable striker in Belgium right now, with quite an all-round profile that is difficult to handle from an opposition perspective.

Getting a head

Samatta is a player who comes alive when tasked with scoring and contributing in and around the opposing penalty box. He's capable of finishing moves in a variety of different ways.

His heading ability is a particular asset. He's found the net with three headers in the league this season, which is bettered by only one player.

Last season, he scored a total of seven with his head and again, that was eclipsed only one player who managed to notch eight.

His aerial prowess would be highly beneficial for Smith's team from set-pieces, and his physical presence permits him to hold up the ball effectively before bringing others into play, although he is perhaps more inclined to get on the end of through balls.

Last season, he scored a total of seven with his head and again, that was eclipsed only one player who managed to notch eight.

Once Wesley returns, the prospect of him playing alongside Samatta is exciting if Smith ever chose to set up that way.

Both are physical, energetic and capable of occupying defenders, meaning that space would be created for Jack Grealish and co to work their magic.

Shrewd decision

Ultimately, considering Samatta's competitive price and the impact his efforts could have on Villa's season, a move for the Tanzanian appears to be a shrewd decision.

He would arrive as a legitimate scoring threat with enough skills to present problems to opposing defences regardless of how he's supplied.

Whether Samatta is presented with a cross, a through pass or an aerial clearance, he's capable of coping and in most cases, thriving.

For just £8.5m, Samatta has the quality to save Villa's season.

Good, positive piece.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Wtf are you going on about ... Just wow mind blown by your ignorance I won’t bother debating this you as there is no point if you can’t see anything wrong with what you are saying... 

Poor pitches and empty seats.

(That's not me - it's quoting a BBC article on last year's tournament)

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I did these stats another site to highlight how bad Hourihane is for tackles and intercepts. Look who is #1 midfielder for both. 

Tackles:
1st Fred 3pg
2 Nakamba
3 McGinn
4 Hause
5 Targett
15th Hourihane 0.6pg

Interceptions:
1st Targett 2.2pg
2 Fred
3 Nakamba
4 Engels
5 Konsa
15th Hourihane 0.3pg

Just goes to show we need more Fred's in our side. Clearly the best tackler and by far the most progressive tackler.

A high energy forward is what we have lacked, I'm sure while not as good as tammy, the style of play should in theory give him several chances most games to get on the score sheet.

Just hope that we stick with 3511 for the games if he comes. Stick jack behind him and all of a sudden with coordination, we can press teams effectively. It takes fit high energy players for that and if drinkwater can get his fitness up and we use fred and targett we may just pull out of the mire.

Still need another forward though as our injury luck is rubbish

Edited by brummybloke

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Indeed, and you could post this comment in almost any thread on here.

Until we are stabilised as a Premier League club our purchases, our quality, our results, our squad depth, will all underwhelm those that don’t see we are one of a group of maybe 20 Clubs ( that’s around a dozen in the top league and half a dozen or so in the Championship) in a mix to make the real grade. 

In respect of transfers we are trying to entice players to a Play Off promoted Club.....players and Agents are acutely aware that Clubs promoted via the play offs have a good chance of going straight back down. Being a squad player at Wolves or Palace is currently a more appealing prospect for some than a starting spot at Villa.

An understanding and acceptance of this might just go a little way to creating a more tolerant, patient, understanding vibe amongst ( some of) the fan base. Who knows it might make the players job of performing to their best a little easier aswell.

Perhaps those unhappy could at least watch the guy play before questioning his ability, the Sporting Directors ability, the Coach’s ability ?

It's an £8m gamble - to keep us in the prem - if he flops he might be able to cut it in the championship - or we sell him and recoup a good whack of the outlay. 

Â