Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

The staff are seeing far more than we do in training to make a judgement.

I’d also think there’s an element of balancing the books somewhere in amongst it all.

I thought he looked good initially, seemed to have a bit about him and got a couple of goals (far bigger names cannot claim to have scored a goal at Wembley in a major final) but after the restart he was a shadow that player, his all round game looked weak.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think Traore might be a back up striker, if we get Rashica too we'll have plenty of people that can fill in if Watkins is out, once Wesley is back with Davis too we'll be fine 

We tried that trick last season.

On September 1st we had Kodj, Davis and Wesley. Even before the window closed Kodj picked up some facial injury which meant he was out until November. Davis got injured against Wolves in late October and didn't feature in a squad until the cup final on March 1st. Once we lost Wes we were playing midfielders upfront.

We need three out and out strikers in the squad. If you look last night Watkins started to get more joy once he was given licence to drift out wide when Davis comes on so having another option to play centrally would make plenty of sense.

Wes won't be back at all in 2020 judging from DS latest comments.

I really don't get people who think we can get by with the bare minimum upfront or because we paid 20m + for a striker they have to play every single minute of every single game.

Sheffield United have 5 strikers in their current squad and likes of Newcastle and Palace have 7-8 options for the 3 positions upfront so that is what you need for a mid table squad.

Just thinking Cenk Tosun is available from Everton. Flopped there but he actually looked o.k when he went on loan to Palace in January, think he scored v Man. City before getting injured so that might be a decent short term move taking him on loan.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

On 21/09/2020 at 13:51, Awol said:

It’s brutal, but when Dean & Co. sat down and asked whether he could take us where we wanted to go, if the answer was “no” then getting rid now makes sense. 

If we can get a loan fee and £5M for him in 12 months that’s a decent result. 

This. Staying up last season was a single ambition, as part of a long term plan.
We achieved it, and Samatta was part of that (I'm not going to debate how much he helped, it's irrelevant now).

He is highly paid (just over £1m a year apparently), and has a 4 1/2 year contract - so he'll earning more from that than most of us ever will in our lives.

For him personally - he's had a chance to reach his goal, and didn't. Most of us never have that chance. Plus, he seems unhappy, so if he can find happiness elsewhere, good for him. No-one should begrudge him that.

For the club - he clearly isn't good enough for where we want to be now, let along in 2 and 3 years time. We will honour his contract (so if he goes elsewhere and is paid less, we will be obliged to cover the difference), and try and recoup as much money as we can. We'll try and work with him on this. But we move on.

That's football, and there a lot of players without the safety net of that sort of contract who are treated far worse.

Thing is i do think Davis needs to go on loan to discover his scoring boots. If we sell/loan samatta i just dont see that happening.

if wes is fit in Jan, we can sell samatta then, cause we'll have cover

He will be desperate to stay. Regardless of his position in the squad.

At 28 he will know this is the only chance he will get to play at this level.

The correct decision is going to Turkey and build up his confidence, but i get the feeling of him not wanting to do that.

Edited by villalad21

7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Goodbye sweet prince

I would take any Turkish transfer news with a large pinch of salt. They love to jump the gun a bit down on the banks of the Bosphorus.

I'll wait until he's on the ferry to Kadıköy with a glass of tea.

• Like 2

This person has 300k followers on twitter and 2m on instagram, so presumably has some credibility...

Edited by useless
Apparently says that Fenerbahçe are set to announce him as their player.

Â