Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

Aston Villa striker Mbwana Ally Samatta has 'agreed to join Fenerbahce' with Turkish reports claiming the Tanzanian is in line to make his debut as early as next week. 

Takvim suggest a deal between Villa and Fener has been reached over a season-long loan with an option to buy in place for next summer. The 27-year-old has scored twice in 16 appearances for Villa following his £8.5 million arrival from Racing Club Genk back in January.

Birmingham Mail

Like many others I thought he looked like a good addition, a loan is a good idea for all parties I think (as long as we can keep him if he rediscovers his form).

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Looking at his goal scoring stats prior to joining us, even if it’s proven a good idea to sell him, I think he was very much worth the ‘punt’.

he clearly doesn’t fit tactically, culturally or whatever. So moving on might be the right idea. I really hope it’s not to a rival though - just in case.

Anyone categorically writing him off after 14 (mostly strange) games has a very short memory. I think many top players would have struggled with the situation he was thrown into.

If he is so good why did he never reach a higher level than Belgium at age 28?

Not even writing him off. Just stating he isn't good enough at this level and will never be. This was a panic signing.

9 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Not sure if it's that weird actually. The lockdown and the circumstances during that period affected people in differents ways. Could say it was a kind of massive psychological experiment, many coped fine, but some got mental problems from it. I guess just having arrived in a new country, trying to settle in, didn't help. Don't know if he had family with him or lives alone. I have absolutely no idea if the lockdown affected Samatta in any way, but he was sure worse afterwards. Could also be as easy as he lost his match fitness and didn't have proper opportunities to keep fit in the same way during the lockdown.

I may be way off on this but Samatta is Muslim and Ramadan was also during the lockdown.  It must be hard to train during Ramadan at the best of times but when you don't have access to the club's facilities as well, plus all the general settling in issues on top of that, you can see why he looked so far off the pace after lockdown.  It may just be that he isn't good enough but I thought he looked ok before the lockdown.

• Like 2

I'm not holding my breath on him being there for the 12 months unless they pay the full loan fee plus wages upfront.

Otherwise I can see them not paying and samatta getting stuck and having to come back.

A loan makes sense if we are planning on another forward as I don't fancy us having just watkins and davis as our forwards for the next 6 months.

• Like 3

Good luck to him. Always seemed like a good professional.

Some of the criticism of him is pretty odd: settling in a new country, during a pandemic, and with a team that was shifting to a less expansive system. I still don’t think I’ve seen enough of him to be comfortable making any sort of judgment on his ability. 

surely if we are letting Ally go, we are close to signing another striker as going most of a season with just Watkins and Davies would be a huge risk.

i don't know if Traore or even Rashica if he signs can be considered replacements for Samatta even if both can play as strikers i don't see either as able to do the lone striker role Dean loves.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Sorry but we need players with a strong mentality if we want to progress.

Look at Bruno when he arrived at Man U. Mentality of steel, as simple as that.

That's the main difference from great players and bad players.

Bruno was £60m!

Its a different level of signing 

4 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

surely if we are letting Ally go, we are close to signing another striker as going most of a season with just Watkins and Davies would be a huge risk.

i don't know if Traore or even Rashica if he signs can be considered replacements for Samatta even if both can play as strikers i don't see either as able to do the lone striker role Dean loves.

Traore can play up front , so we basically have 4 that can cover that position 

Edited by gwi1890

On 19/09/2020 at 22:09, JPAngel said:

The Tanzanians are absolutely hammering our social media channels threatening to unfollow us :lol:

They are a bunch of obsessed nutters. I remember them being furious with Jack after Samatta's league debut because he didn't put a cross in for him or something.

• Haha 1

On 19/09/2020 at 10:06, villalad21 said:

If he is so good why did he never reach a higher level than Belgium at age 28?

Not even writing him off. Just stating he isn't good enough at this level and will never be. This was a panic signing.

Sounds like you are writing him off 

• Haha 2

Â