Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

14 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Pretty clear correlation between ability+potential and price.

Without going too off topic, this came up in one of the more useful bits of research from Soccernomics. 

There isn't generally a correlation between transfer fees and eventual league position (a clubs wage bill was more closely aligned to league positions).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

This just standard in football now. Scouting is less common and a lot of teams have a team of analysts who sort through opta stats to judge players on who they should sign. Thousands of players are decided what they're like by stat tables.

Would hope club analysts would go a bit more in-depth but it is just a Twitter account. 

I can understand looking at stats to decide whether a player is worth a look at.

After that it comes down to old fashioned scouts opinion.....how else can it happen. I'm sure many teams sign players without watching them closely over a period of time but why?

Also how do they decide if a player is good enough to step up in standard from a lower league to Prem or La Liga?

The guy has a better than 1 in 3 and close to 1 in 2 record at almost everywhere he's played, even internationally.

Of course it's a gamble because he's not played in the top leagues, but at least he knows where the goal is.

Hopefully this all gets tidied up soon, should be a straightforward work permit with 51 international apps.

• Like 2

If we get him in I think he’ll do well, even if he doesn’t score loads, if he assists a few then our attacking play that will help. His speed is good which at the very least will give us another dimension to our play. Unfortunately we have lacked pace upfront this season something which Samatta will bring. He has 9 goals in 12 Europa league appearances last season. 3 goals in 6 for the champions league is decent too. 

We’re apparently also looking at Llorente or Slimani too which means we have a decent strike force for the rest of the season. Had we got Samatta in addition to Wesley in the summer I believe  Wesley would have improved quicker and benefited from having someone like Samatta around. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

That alone should give us some hope he will be half decent.

Im going to watch the Liverpool Genk game later to see how his movement was in that game and how he performed against Van Dyke. ( yes im a saddo 😂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

WTF does that even mean? Attacking output? He scored 32 goals in all comps last season, isn't that enough output?

Huh, that smarterscout thing seems interesting. I think I'll go grab a membership and maybe I can figure out how they calculate attacking output.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

16 minutes ago, Farlz said:

What exactly were people expecting for them to be underwhelmed by this? 

a mate just said on our group chat "would wolves have signed him?"

it sucks that we're so far down in the table, it really does. but we are a big club in name only, we have to be realistic.

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Huh, that smarterscout thing seems interesting. I think I'll go grab a membership and maybe I can figure out how they calculate attacking output.

It's questioning his 'attacking output' but he scored 32 goals last season and has 10 goals so far this season.

Looks stupid.

• Like 1

Against Liverpool at home Genk had 25% possession but had 8 shots to Liverpool’s 17. At anfield Liverpool had more shots with slightly less possession. In that game Samatta scored which was one of 6 shots total from 28% possession. I’ll report back with what I saw from him in the games. Obviously im not an expert on such things but it’s interesting me because a few members have written him off already. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's questioning his 'attacking output' but he scored 32 goals last season and has 10 goals so far this season.

Looks stupid.

It's adapted for the PL. His output in Belgium would be incredibly high I'd guess. Their modelling is reliable.

All these are just numbers though, performances on the pitch matter above all else.

46 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Yup. And Leicester signed kante and mahrez on cheap also. Gems exist out there. But for every gem for these prices there are way more duds. 

Let's hope he's got good movement and tries hard. 

Pretty clear correlation between ability+potential and price.

Mahrez £400,000 from LeHavre, I think.

crazy

we must be due a bit of luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

It's adapted for the PL. His output in Belgium would be incredibly high I'd guess. Their modelling is reliable.

All these are just numbers though, performances on the pitch matter above all else.

Reliable based on what? So then most forwards in the lesser leagues would have a lower than average 'attacking output', making the insights totally moot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

a mate just said on our group chat "would wolves have signed him?"

it sucks that we're so far down in the table, it really does. but we are a big club in name only, we have to be realistic.

Neccessity, is the mother of Invention.

They don't have to.

• Like 1

Â