Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

Basically, unless we sign Messi and Mbappe, people are always going to moan. In fact if we did sign those two, I have zero doubt that some Villa fans would still call them shit.

Something along the lines of “Messi is too old and has no premier league experience, he’s going to think he’s bigger than the club and his legs are going” and “Mbappe will be too quick for our shit team, just look at Adama, he was shit for us, but amazing for Wolves. If Mbappe signs for us, we’ll make him shit as well”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Basically, unless we sign Messi and Mbappe, people are always going to moan. In fact if we did sign those two, I have zero doubt that some Villa fans would still call them shit.

Something along the lines of “Messi is too old and has no premier league experience, he’s going to think he’s bigger than the club and his legs are going” and “Mbappe will be too quick for our shit team, just look at Adama, he was shit for us, but amazing for Wolves. If Mbappe signs for us, we’ll make him shit as well”. 

Talk about massively exaggerating what's happening. No. Nobody would call them shit. 

Just becsuse he's signing for Villa doesn't mean he's going to be good. All I'm saying is that it's far more likely he's going to be a dud than any success. But I bloody hope he proves me wrong

Edited by Bugzy1991
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Talk about massively exaggerating what's happening. No. Nobody would call them shit. 

You or I might not, but some Villa fans would. I’ve known enough of the miserable clearings in the woods in my lifetime to know.

Personally cautious about this. Never seen him play, certainly not that well known, but great that we have a striker, he might not be the only striker we sign as well. Let's see how he gets on. Not a signing that gives me confidence of survival, could be inspired, could be a disaster, that's the sense I get.

20 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Just being realistic tbh. You don't get into your prime and be worth only 10m if you're any good. 10m for a first team striker is so low that most teams would buy him so fast if he had any ounce of quality. 

Probability  is that he's more likely going to be a dud than any good. 

But any striker will do and we likely won't be buying better in January so sign him up. Surprised how low our budget is for a striker to keep us up in the prem tbh.

norwich signed pukki for free as a 28 year old, so in his prime too. scored 29 goals in his first season, getting promoted with norwich, and 9 in the prem despite playing for bottom of the league. price equates to ability quite rarely. with most transfers i'd say a player turns out to be either overpriced or a bargain. you just always hope that he's the latter

also, sometimes teams just look in the wrong places.

oh, per wikipedia, he signed 4.5 year deal in Jan 2016, meaning if my math is correct his contract is up in June

edit: correction, per transfermarkt, expires 2021 - so guessing cashing in now before he goes into his final year

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Mid January signing, was probably 8th on the list of targets

He is probably going to be crap 

Hark at Mr Know-it-all, posting from the suicide watch ward at Broadmoor. He is entitled to his opinion, but wonder what prompts him to get out of bed each morning.

Edited by SirSteveUK

15 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

norwich signed pukki for free as a 28 year old, so in his prime too. scored 29 goals in his first season, getting promoted with norwich, and 9 in the prem despite playing for bottom of the league. price equates to ability quite rarely. with most transfers i'd say a player turns out to be either overpriced or a bargain. you just always hope that he's the latter

also, sometimes teams just look in the wrong places.

oh, per wikipedia, he signed 4.5 year deal in Jan 2016, meaning if my math is correct his contract is up in June

edit: correction, per transfermarkt, expires 2021 - so guessing cashing in now before he goes into his final year

Yup. And Leicester signed kante and mahrez on cheap also. Gems exist out there. But for every gem for these prices there are way more duds. 

Let's hope he's got good movement and tries hard. 

Pretty clear correlation between ability+potential and price.

Edited by Bugzy1991

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

WTF does that even mean? Attacking output? He scored 32 goals in all comps last season, isn't that enough output?

Something something Xg had a differential of 0.072 divided by pi, and his Xpl was onlybollockstatsthatdon'tactuallymeanthatmuch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Something something Xg had a differential of 0.072 divided by pi, and his Xpl was onlybollockstatsthatdon'tactuallymeanthatmuch

Could well be. It's an nonstandard metric that has been created and not defined. It also doesn't clearly reconcile with a more well known 'attacking output' metric called 'goals'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I like how they just decided exactly what kind of player he is from a stat table.

This just standard in football now. Scouting is less common and a lot of teams have a team of analysts who sort through opta stats to judge players on who they should sign. Thousands of players are decided what they're like by stat tables.

Would hope club analysts would go a bit more in-depth but it is just a Twitter account. 

Edited by Bugzy1991

Â