Gaming 2020

hogso

An opportunity for discussion of upcoming games, announcements, speculation, etc... 

I'll kick off with a few trailers for stuff that perhaps isn't quite as hyped as the obvious games out this year

Genshin Impact on PS4, due for release Q2 2020. It's an open world action RPG, and reminds me most of games like Ni No Kuni and Ys. 

Tell Me Why is the next episodic game from Dontnod (Life is Strange), and honestly I'm just a sucker for this kinda thing

The new Yakuza game, Like a Dragon, the first without Kiryu, is out in Japan very very soon - but we'll need to wait some time for the localisation. It features turn based battles now, which...is an odd choice tbf

57 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I use mine predominantly as a Blu Ray player

Me too. 

Its not really a criticism of the games available. I just seem to be spending less and less time playing games and when I do these days I prefer far more casual games. My Switch gets played far more as a result.  

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I use mine predominantly as a Blu Ray player

I haven't watched a blu Ray in about 3 years

Much like TV in general I'm moving more and more towards apps 

If Sony made their whatever its called service the same as game pass then that'd be me more or less done 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I haven't watched a blu Ray in about 3 years

Much like TV in general I'm moving more and more towards apps 

If Sony made their whatever its called service the same as game pass then that'd be me more or less done 

I bought a load of blu-ray box sets, Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Curb etc and I often pick up some really good movies from CEX on Blu-Ray on the cheap, the sort that I don't find any streaming service I subscribe too.

I'm old school, I like physical stuff.

• Like 3

Microsoft announcing that there will be no in house exclusives for the series X for at least a year is a bit of a strange one. I know most games will usually come out on both old & new consoles for the first year or two after they are around but to have nothing exclusive on it at all to sell the system is a little strange. I appreciate the whole xbox eco system everything is playable on everything and things are moving more towards just being the equivalent of a new PC graphics card/processor but there now seems to be little reason to buy one if you already have an Xbox one X (these are also getting incredibly inexpensive now) other than the possibility of playing games at the equivalent of high/ultra settings rather than medium/high. Is that worth 5/600?

7 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Microsoft announcing that there will be no in house exclusives for the series X for at least a year is a bit of a strange one. I know most games will usually come out on both old & new consoles for the first year or two after they are around but to have nothing exclusive on it at all to sell the system is a little strange. I appreciate the whole xbox eco system everything is playable on everything and things are moving more towards just being the equivalent of a new PC graphics card/processor but there now seems to be little reason to buy one if you already have an Xbox one X (these are also getting incredibly inexpensive now) other than the possibility of playing games at the equivalent of high/ultra settings rather than medium/high. Is that worth 5/600?

Dunno, I think they are pitching the Xbox Series X as a premium device only for those who want to pay the extra to play on the latest consoles. I think an Xbox One X and will buy the Series X day one. Halo Infinite for example could play as the following on each console.

Xbox One S - 720p / 30fps

Xbox One X - 1080p / 60fps

Series X - 4k / 60fps

The Elite controller showed Microsoft that there's a lot of people wanting to own "Premium" products. It's smart for them to not have exclusives imo. I don't think Microsoft are that bothered about selling consoles, they seem to be far more focused on the subscription model of Game Pass / X Cloud / Xbox Live.  On the assumption that that Series X will come 1-3 months of Game Pass, that's a lot of games (250+) for people to be able to play on launch day.

Edited by PieFacE

Series X is an all new console that just so happens to share its exclusives. You'll still need a Series X for multi-platform games because not all them will support last-gen. Yes if all you care about is Halo then stick with One X I suppose, but anyone that does that will miss out on hundreds of games per year that launch solely on Series X and PlayStation 5. Microsoft are offering this "choice", but personally if you're into video games then buying a Series X and/or PlayStation 5 will be a priority regardless of Microsoft's stance around exclusives. I would hate to stick with One X to play Halo Infinite only for some insane looking Series X/PS5 multi-platform game to come out that I then couldn't play. So personally I'm treating next-gen like this "exclusive sharing" stance didn't exist.  

Their state of play thing has been bollocks, does make me wonder how much e3 organisers charge them to host a conference and what her or not Sony just don't consider it viable anymore, its definitely outdated 

The MS thing is just making it sound more like its not a console you need to start saving for now, it's not a day 1 must have, wasn't for me anyway, I'll pick it up after the 2nd price drop (still waiting for the switch) 

Edited by villa4europe

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Their state of play thing has been bollocks

Not sure. It's an easy to digest, easy to access 15 min (?) bunch of trailers. I can honestly say I would rather watch that than a 2+ hour 'presentation' with some over excitable exec/dev on stage.

The content of them, yeah, it's been fair to say that generally they're not compulsive viewing, but they usually get one little exclusive sneak peak at the end. FFVIIR and the new Resi remake being the most notable ones I can recall seeing.

Ridge Racer, Halo, Super Mario 64. Some might say that the most impactful console launches were those where cutting edge hardware was matched with gaming experiences we'd never seen before - titles that set the stage and the expectation level for the generation to come. Even if a specific next-gen platform exclusive wasn't an all-time great, experiences that pushed the technological state of the art still held a special place in our hearts - games like Ryse: Son of Rome or Killzone Shadowfall, for example. However, Microsoft is charting a different course with its Xbox Series X strategy. Yes, there will be first-party exclusives but these titles will still run on existing Xbox One hardware. Nobody will be left behind in the inevitable cross-gen period - but does this mean that the pioneering next-gen spirit is gone?...

In Theory: Can Microsoft deliver next-gen experiences while still supporting Xbox One?

Anyone thinking of sticking with a One S, or One X just because Series X exclusives are shared may want to read that.

Series X is a 6x boost in processing power, 2x boost in graphics power and a 40x boost in bandwidth. The only way games like Halo: Infinite and even more advanced games like Hellblade 2 are running on the last-gen systems is at low frame-rates, low visual fidelity and extremely low resolution. We are entering into a generation where storage is going from 60MB/s to upwards of 2,500MB/s. Games made for that speed of storage are nigh on incompatible with Xbox One S and One X without major downgrades that will make the games feel sub-par to play. Microsoft want to give the choice to their customers which is nice, but in this instance with a next-gen console this powerful I just don't think it's going to work out.

Anyone do the PSN 2019 'your year in gaming' thing (or xbox / Nintendo / steam equivalent)? 

I managed to spend exactly 365 hours on the PS4 last year. 

Which is nice. 

On 14/01/2020 at 19:10, Daweii said:

In Theory: Can Microsoft deliver next-gen experiences while still supporting Xbox One?

Anyone thinking of sticking with a One S, or One X just because Series X exclusives are shared may want to read that.

Series X is a 6x boost in processing power, 2x boost in graphics power and a 40x boost in bandwidth. The only way games like Halo: Infinite and even more advanced games like Hellblade 2 are running on the last-gen systems is at low frame-rates, low visual fidelity and extremely low resolution. We are entering into a generation where storage is going from 60MB/s to upwards of 2,500MB/s. Games made for that speed of storage are nigh on incompatible with Xbox One S and One X without major downgrades that will make the games feel sub-par to play. Microsoft want to give the choice to their customers which is nice, but in this instance with a next-gen console this powerful I just don't think it's going to work out.

What do you think the chances are of new games being supported on Xbox one S through streaming/xcloud?

15 hours ago, PieFacE said:

What do you think the chances are of new games being supported on Xbox one S through streaming/xcloud?

I think the chances are very high.

I'm not sure if it'll be there for the launch of the new console as I don't think Microsoft have even started public testing 1080p streams yet, but from everything I've heard the goal is xCloud on every device that can run the app playing every Xbox game on the market. 

Phil Spencer in the past has talked about how powerful xCloud could be for those still gaming on Xbox 360, so I'd assume the same will be true for those planning to stick with Xbox One S and One X. Hopefully Microsoft talk about it at E3 because there will be so many ways to play Xbox games going forward.  

Â