Pepe Reina

Jareth

Has a great ping on him, just a shame most of our wide players second touch is a tackle.

Also, someone please tell him he isn't with Xabi anymore, no short passes into Nakamba with players in arms length please thank you very much.

Might actually be a masterstroke signing tbf. I wasn't for this one in any way but quality is still there to see. Looked after himself.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Weirdly I never rated him that much before.  **** knows why, he is brilliant.  Did Liverpool replace him with Mignolet? 

To be fair we might be in the same boat, bare in mind we probably never watched him week after week?

I thought he was very Shay Given esque as in great shot stopper but had his limitations.

To be fair he will have his limitations, for example could he have done better with the initial palm which led to the double save he made?

Either way the good on this evidence WAAAAYYYY outweighs the bad, and he probably isn't even fully sharp yet.

I was having mini heart attacks with some of his brave passing at the back.

He seems very passionate, experienced and a natural leader, we underestimate how much this means!

Some players come here on loan and for some reason seem like they have been here for years, catch the Villa bug and the fans love them straight away, I have a feeling this will go the same way and we will be sad to see him go,

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just shows signing players over 30 sometimes isn't the disaster it's portrayed on here.

Guy is a world cup winner, regular playing in champions league so relegation six pointers aren't going to give him sleepless nights like a few in our squad you'd imagine.

We really need more players in the squad with his mentality, can't stress it enough if we want to improve much more over next few seasons.

He's also very good at reading the danger. At liverpool he was exactly like Neuer at Munich, sweeping for any ball played over the top which allows a defence to stay high. Would cost the odd goal but prevent many other dangerous attacks.

One instance first half when Watford played it over the top of our defence but he just got there outside of his box ahead of watford player. As much as I like Heaton think he'd have stayed on his line and then you have possible goal.

• Like 1

Comes for everything and wins everything.

Only shakey moment yesterday was the way he dealt with the ball just before the Deeney chance, but he ended up making an excellent save from that so he made up for it.

He oozes confidence. Makes you realise what an upgrade he is to Nyland.

• Like 1

I would say we signed him because it was an opportunity too good to miss.

For me his quality was never in doubt.

He has come in and done exactly what I thought he would.The man has AC Milan,Liverpool,Barca and Bayern on his CV.

Now he is in between our sticks.

Massive signing.

• Like 1

As others were I was slightly disappointed about Sarkic being recalled unless he was going to be loaned back out as 1st choice in the championship.

Having watched Reina I’m starting to think he may gain more from working with Cutler and Reina for the next 6 months. Between Reina, Cutler and Heaton he could learn a hell of a lot to improve his game. Just depends whether the coaching team think he’ll gain more from playing every week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Weirdly I never rated him that much before.  **** knows why, he is brilliant.  Did Liverpool replace him with Mignolet? 

In his pomp was probably only Buffon, Van Der Sar and maybe Cech and Julio Cesar as good as him. He was more consistent than Casillas though football politics probably cost him another 50 caps

• Like 1

We’re seeing the difference between a very, very good keeper - a la Heaton, Given, etc - and a world class keeper.

Sadly not all aspects of his game are world class anymore, but his distribution and game management are as good as they ever were.

I think defenders prefer playing with this type of keeper because he helps to stop them from making mistakes in the first place, rather than rescuing them from bad mistakes. He makes them look better players.

I wholeheartedly believe without him leading by example at the back that we would not have controlled 65% of possession.

There must be an element of ‘well if the keeper can do it.. so can I’

recently it’s all been players trying to get rid of it to anywhere, because they’ve been too scared to make a mistake.

and the free kick at the end.  Just strolled up to it calm as anything and picked out a perfect 60 yard pass.  Have to admit I was annoyed thinking ‘hurry the **** up!’ Until I saw what a quality ball he put in

• Like 1

He is the same age as Friedel was when we signed him and he was our number 1 for three years until he was 40. He played in 114 consecutive Premier League games for us in that time never missing a Prem game in three seasons. He then went on to spend 4 years at Spurs.

If Reina was to continue the kind of performances he has put in his first two games, and with Heaton unlikely to be fit for the first couple of months of next season, we'd surely be looking to sign him up for a year or two.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Â