Pepe Reina

Jareth

2 hours ago, djdabush said:

Also remember when fans (me included) said that it was a pointless signing and Nyland should keep his place? Shows how easily opinions can be swayed.

I think also a goalkeeper is kind of like a so-so relationship, you know? It can be ok, some good some bad, then every now and then someone reminds you there is a different level out there.

Reina is not at his peak by any means but his peak was a lot higher than anything we have seen for a while and that experience told today a couple of times - even insisting on taking that last free kick.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Distribution was a huge sticking point for Heaton and Reina's is just exceptional. If he keeps it up, Tom might find it difficult to get back in the team.

We only have Reina for six months don’t we?

We shouldn’t underestimate how much Reina’s distribution skills bring to a team like ours. He brought both the wingbacks into play over and over again, and we’d obviously practised the pattern as the knockdown header from Targett / Guilbert usually went to a Villa midfielder. Just can’t do stuff like this with Heaton in net.

It’s a real shame we didn’t get to see Wesley link up with Reina this season.

Not sure Reina can match Heaton for shot stopping anymore, but his all round game and leadership skills will make up for that. We basically have a Champions League player digging us out of a relegation battle. A massive signing.

• Like 4

Absolutely fantastic tonight, it looks like an inspired signing.

I thought his distribution against Brighton was poor when he went long.

Last night he pulled players about for him and passed balls out of the back in a way we haven't seen for a long time. Absolutely brilliant.

Nakamba is the player that benefited the most from him. Instead of receiving the ball in difficult areas Reina was constantly dictating where he wanted him to be to receive the ball.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Made a great save, but he's probably the best keeper on the ball I've ever seen play for us, unbelievably good with the ball at his feet. 

Me and my son were saying to one n other that he seems to be able to pick anyone out at pinpoint accuracy with his goal or free kicks. He actually causes teams problems with it, he's got an eye to spot that player run or move that alot of keepers just don't seem to have.

At this rate I'm all for buying Pepe period, I absoloute love this bloke, he's aggressive as well and comes out at the right times when needed.

He is certainly quality we are lucky to have.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That blue arrow on the right 😍

What an angle on that kick, I know Konsa scored and Mings had involvment off it, but I can't help feel that Pepe deserves assist justice for that one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We shouldn’t underestimate how much Reina’s distribution skills bring to a team like ours.

Agreed. Think Reina been a revelation for us.

Really hope we can keep him. His distribution is incredible.

Reina’s quality but he got away with one second half. The double save was good but he should have been catching that cross and Deeney probably should have scored. 

Still great to have this guy in goal for the rest of the season.  Our recruitment team get a lot of stick on here. It’s shame they are not getting praise for this signing as it’s quite a coup really.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I really, really like him. 

He reminds me of when Terry came to the club. You know all about them because they've played at the very top but you never really appreciate how good they actually are. This bloke must have been an incredible keeper back in the day. He oozes confidence and there is no part of me that gets worried when he comes to claim a cross. 

Super signing. Our recruitment is top notch 😉

• Like 3

He's different class and can't help thinking Liverpool shipped him off too soon because he's clearly still got what it takes at this level.

If we beat the drop this season Smith has a massive decision to make. I'm a big Heaton fan and they both have the presence that strong character and maturity bring, but there's no doubt Reina has an extra dimension to his game.

I can't see why Pepe would swap Milan's bench for ours next season, but I don't think anyone (except Heaton) will want him to leave in the summer! 

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Agreed. Think Reina been a revelation for us.

Really hope we can keep him. His distribution is incredible.

Revelation 😂😂😂😂😂

Not an unknown nobody has heard about

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

not one of them straight through to their keeper...Heaton's quality but he had at least 2 or 3 of them a game

looking at that reina hasn't "belted" anything, 3 of his misplaced ones are purposeful kicks for guilbert to flick on

• Like 2

Â