Tom13

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Hardly a lack of patience with wanting to see some of the youth get 5/10 minutes in the last few games where there's no pressure on to give them a bit of a taste before letting them continue their development next season as the management see fit.

Ramsey has been playing most weeks yet is getting criticised by people even though he hasnt done anything wrong . Smith holding back the others is definitely sensible if honest. 

We had many youth players ruined by being put in too soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

That's ridiculous of course. But last few  games of the season can do them no harm.

I agree. I'm not against them getting minutes. I'd love to see it. I'm just happy for the club to make that decision when. I'd also be surprised if it happens before the Youth Cup final.

• Like 1

From the little I've seen from him, he looks to be special. About rushing him in: it's impossible to know, different personalities react differently. But that goal against Liverpool did the world of good for sure.

Well thing that makes me wonder is all the chiefs were there watching the semi final, from the Owners right down to Smith.

Surely something's brewing and I wonder they are contemplating the idea of bringing in some Youth to the first team where possible? If they did that would allow them easy to splash out big on just a couple of signing and bring some real big boys in all while using the likes of Barry and Chuk where they could easy fit in.

I'm not going to lie, for me some of our first teamers or fringe players have been below standard, that Barry and Chuk look to be the obvious choice over some fringe players without having to spend a great deal in the summer.

Let's say Barry is to be used next season and next on the pitch to Grealish, that would allow us to buy just one Winger for the right all while Ghazi could be sold and you have some income coming in and not just going out from signing someone. You then also get the feeling that a move to replace Nakamba with Chuk and that he would be second in line to Luiz. That's just two quick updates to the squad without really spending anything all while selling two players or Ghazi and Nakamba bring some Muller in. Personally I would pull those moves even if it's just to get some sales in the summer, because we do have to sell. Let's face it you could even make a similar move and sell Davis while bringing Brad Young into the mix, Brad seems to be more of a scorer anyway than Davis and at that point I'd not even loan Davis out I'd just either sell him or let him go. If you make that move at least then Brad young could learn from Watkins.

If you make those type of moves above, then with any money you have bring two real big hitters in and probably pimp the midfield and right wing out.

I know some won't see it my way but bringing two or three youth in through just allows you to sell, update, give experience and splash out in a concentrated way in certain areas. I just have a feeling that this is what we may see happen next season and hope I'm right.

Edited by Dave-R

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ramsey has been playing most weeks yet is getting criticised by people even though he hasnt done anything wrong . Smith holding back the others is definitely sensible if honest. 

We had many youth players ruined by being put in too soon

We had many youth being ruined by not being put out at all lol.

We had to let alias go just because we kept them at Villa and they did nothing apart from some cup games.

There has been a massive mismanagement of our youth, we got rid of lots in our first season back in the top flight right, around ten or so I'm sure?

Edited by Dave-R

7 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

You say "those games" but there can't be too many other instances where a club has their entire senior squad unavailable for selection due to medical reasons, right? Not sure there's any other comparable games at all.

Not of exactly the same situation, no, but sometimes teams do play games at a lesser level of intensity. First round of the League Cup against lower-league opposition springs to mind. But yeah, it's not the same mismatch.

These aren't dead games to Smith, he will want to finish as high as possible and is unlikely to give these kids a run out for the sake of it.

I don't think we will see Barry this season or next season. A lot of these lads are still too young, there's only one 18 year old getting a decent chunk of prem minutes and that's Fabio Silva for Wolves and only because of Jimenez's injury. 

7 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

These aren't dead games to Smith, he will want to finish as high as possible and is unlikely to give these kids a run out for the sake of it.

I don't think we will see Barry this season or next season. A lot of these lads are still too young, there's only one 18 year old getting a decent chunk of prem minutes and that's Fabio Silva for Wolves and only because of Jimenez's injury. 

Agree with the caution around bringing the youth through too soon, but... from the little I’ve seen carney chukwumeka looks like a man playing in a boys team. 

I’d love him to get a game with the senior side just to see if he’s ready. 

Massive difference between getting minutes and regularly starting games. Doubt even the most optimistic among us are expecting him to be a regular starter anytime soon.

Foden, Greenwood, Hudson-Odoi, Martinelli, Saka and I'm sure others all got minutes at a young age. It's hardly unheard of. Not making any comparisons to those players or to the competition for places at those clubs because every situation is different. 

The one thing I hope for is that we are very, very selective of which players we sent out on loan and to which clubs and managers we send them out to. Sending players out to train with inferior players and managers just so they can toughen up a bit and get kicked around really seem like an outdated way to go about developing players.

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Well thing that makes me wonder is all the chiefs were there watching the semi final, from the Owners right down to Smith.

I'm not sure the owners were there; where have you seen that?

Purslow, the first team coaching team and Smith are generally there for all of the games played at Villa park, they often use them as an opportunity to get together. A few weeks back, Konsa was there too and signed his new contract shortly afterward.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure the owners were there; where have you seen that?

Purslow, the first team coaching team and Smith are generally there for all of the games played at Villa park, they often use them as an opportunity to get together. A few weeks back, Konsa was there too and signed his new contract shortly afterward.

I'm sure the pundit mentioned they were all there, I may be wrong. I just thought something was a foot them all being there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

See Phil Foden for how we should be managing our youngsters.

And yet Grealish path was completely different. There isn’t a right or wrong way for each individual, as there are a lot of mitigating circumstances 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

And yet Grealish path was completely different. There isn’t a right or wrong way for each individual, as there are a lot of mitigating circumstances 

To be fair Grealish has been heavily mismanaged for most of his career.

If an 18 year old Grealish was working under Guardiola he would be where Foden is today. Maybe even better.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Nothing to play for now.

Give the guy some minutes

I don't think there's anything to play for in terms of the first team, but he has got the biggest game of his life on Monday.

I don't think we'll see any of the young players on Sunday, but there might be an opportunity tomorrow.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To be fair Grealish has been heavily mismanaged for most of his career.

If an 18 year old Grealish was working under Guardiola he would be where Foden is today. Maybe even better.

I've no real doubt, Grealish is at Foden's level now. I don't rate Foden any better than Grealish, although they are different players and Foden may look better as he plays with some of the best players on the world.

Â