Tom13

13 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I'm not sure the Liverpool game is a great comparison - I'm sure they were told not to be too physical with our kids. Play him in a real game and he'll have grown men trying to kick lumps out of him. Doubt he'll find it quite so easy to make an impact then.

I hope I'm wrong and he makes a massive impact age 17 (?). But if he proves totally ineffectual in two or three games, it might do his confidence and development more harm than good.

Ultimately there are people more qualified to judge these things than we are, and I think we'll need to assume they know what they're doing.

There will be so many people involved in the development of this kid. There's no need to doubt that they're doing what's best for him and us.

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I'm not sure the Liverpool game is a great comparison - I'm sure they were told not to be too physical with our kids. Play him in a real game and he'll have grown men trying to kick lumps out of him. Doubt he'll find it quite so easy to make an impact then.

I hope I'm wrong and he makes a massive impact age 17 (?). But if he proves totally ineffectual in two or three games, it might do his confidence and development more harm than good.

Ultimately there are people more qualified to judge these things than we are, and I think we'll need to assume they know what they're doing.

Oh yeah it really looked like they were told to not be to physical,they were going for the jugular and to humiliate them and it failed. We just don't know if there was or wasn't anything said to them and it's pointless even talking about that until we know of anything.

I think you put him in games at that level he would love it, he would also be out to use the advantage defenders think they have on him against them. He's no push over but the way some of you sound is if he is when it comes to players who have been playing in this league for longer than what he has.

Let's face it anyone who expects Barry to go out there straight away and kick major ass needs there heads checking. This is a younger player who would be getting some minutes who's determined to show the world what he's all about against a league of veterans. Barry would be the new kid on the block, out to show some players that he's arrived and that he's ready to get some goals or stick some performances in for his club. Giving Barry some team time with some of our first teamers would do him the world of good. Remember that youth and players full stop are being trained to deal with the lows of dissapointment at that levels as much as they are the highs, he can take it.

We will never know if we don't get him in there as well as Chukweumeka and just see how they are. I have full faith in the two of them to make an impact.

I mean the way Smith uses his subs half the time if not more he's nearly took us to 70 mins anyway before he uses one. I certainly do not see anything wrong with bringing two lads on after that if we are winning and seeing how Barry or Chuk go with the last ten to twenty mins.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Funnily enough, I see something in the lad Brad Young.

whether, he keeps developing is anyones guess.....but if he does,  I fancy him to be a dark horse.

That Brad young could be a good one, he's got the fire in him and abit of an attitude which I don't mind at all in a striker.

He did good against WestBrom.

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

That Brad young could be a good one, he's got the fire in him and abit of an attitude which I don't mind at all in a striker.

He did good against WestBrom.

David Speedie, Craig Bellamy ......He has that bit of devilment.

its early days, but I liked him.

Louie, is nailed on, I would say.....he has the pace and intelligence....he also has that magical change of pace Jack has, that beats players.

I just hope he is able to play with Jack at some stage.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

David Speedie, Craig Bellamy ......He has that bit of devilment.

its early days, but I liked him.

Louie, is nailed on, I would say.....he has the pace and intelligence....he also has that magical change of pace Jack has, that beats players.

I just hope he is able to play with Jack at some stage.

if Barry does develop quickly/soonish in to challenging for a first team spot.....maybe we could see Barry on the left and Grealish at no.10?

How cool would it be to see Chuka as one of the double pivot, Barry on the left, Grealish at 10 etc! (if they are good enough ofc)

Edited by MaVilla

There may be something in given some game time out to Chuk and Barry whilst no fans are around to take some pressure off.

We've been familiarising the youth with the match day experiences so this would be a good step to follow that with before crowds come back and grounds get more intimidating.

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Surely this cannot be true. I couldn’t imagine ever telling a team to “go easy” on another team. If I were in that Liverpool team I’d say **** off, kick 10 lumps of shit out of our players, bag myself an easy hat trick and celebrate full Elmo. 

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Just think it’s weird that Smith who plays one of the youngest squads in the league, starts a 22 year old at DM, gives regular game time to a 19 year old... is being criticised for not throwing our under 18s into the team quickly enough.

What difference does it make if we take another year to let Barry develop? Phil Foden only made 5 PL apps before he was 18, and made another 13 before he turned 19.

Think what Smith is doing is very similar to what the best managers do in terms of easing players into first team football.

I think the youngest player in the cup final is Luke Thomas, who’s 19? 

Edit: and strength matters still for a striker. You’re up against big centre backs, trying to roll them, win headers, receive ball with back to goal, etc. Don’t need to be a unit like Big Wes, but players like Watkins are strong for their size. Even a player like Vardy is pretty powerful if you watch him to shoulder to shoulder. Barry just doesn’t have that yet (he will one day no doubt).

It’s the same “play the kids” drum that villa fans have beaten since the dawn of time. There’s a reason a team of sports scientists, sports psychologists, football coaches and physios don’t want to throw children in at the deep end against the big boys - because it’s stupid and causes a lot of developmental, psychological and physical harm. It’s the same reason you don’t go into a new job as a trainee, smash it out of the park and immediately become the CEO. Because you may be good but you’re not yet good enough for the top job, you’ll **** it up and disappear for good. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

We've had fans calling for them to be playing the last few months. I'm sure one guy said he'd seriously question Smith if Elmo played over Kessler. 

I'd like to see them play, but more than happy to let the club make the decision they think is best. They've done a good job of developing them so far. 

The club have also clearly stated that the priority for these kids is winning the FA youth Cup, they're around the first team and on the bench for experience and focusing on that competition.

That's ridiculous of course. But last few  games of the season can do them no harm.

If he has good as The hype then he’ll play sooner rather than later.  Cautionary tale. For every Owen, Rooney & Bellingham there’s a Berahino, Jeffers & Bostock. So we need to be careful with our expectations initially, and get the timing right so not to hinder not his development. And not put too a high expectation on him as well as Philogene-Bidace, Carney & Kessler when they start. ...

Before they become WC26 international SuperStars starring for England as they bring football home 60 years later ! I’ll see you in 5 ... 

Edited by thabucks

He obviously won't be tall but small players can be deceptively strong, if they're skilful and have a low centre of gravity they sort of bounce off challenges, which he looks like being.  I agree though that the club staff are the experts in knowing when is the right time to unleash him.

There's been an outpouring of calls for him to be given a chance in the first team after yesterday's FA Youth Cup game against West Brom, and there was similar for Chukwuemeka after we beat Newcastle in the last round. Probably worth remembering that the FA Youth Cup is an U18 tournament, it's not even U23 level, so whilst it's good to see our youngsters do well in the competition and seeing them play as well as they have been doing is a very promsing sign, I don't think we should be using it to judge whether they're ready for the first team or not, Dean Smith himself has said that he's judging them based on how they do in training because the gap between U23 football and premier league football is so big.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

Just now, useless said:

There's been an outpouring of calls for him to a chance in the first team after yesterday's FA Youth Cup game against West Brom, and there was similar for Chukwuemeka after we beat Newcastle in the last round. Probably worth remembering that the FA Youth Cup is an U18 tournament, it's not even U23 level, so whilst it's good to see our youngsters do well in the competition and seeing them play as well as they have been doing is a very promsing sign, I don't think we should be using it to judge whether they're ready for the first team or not, Dean Smith himself has said that he's judging them based on how they do in training because the gap between U23 football and premier league football is so big.

It often seems like they play a game too close to getting a call up for the senior squad as well.  They'd have to pull them out of the youth game just in order to get them fresh enough to be on the bench, but if you did that you're depriving them football.

We've pulled Chukwuemeka and Philogene-Bidace from a few U23 games to allow them to travel with the first team squad even when they weren't on the bench. I guess at that time it was decided that that experience was more important for them than playing in whatever U23 fixture they otherwise would have been playing in.

44 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If he has good as The hype then he’ll play sooner rather than later.  Cautionary tale. For every Owen, Rooney & Bellingham there’s a Berahino, Jeffers & Bostock. 

But unless you play them, you'll never know.

Worth giving them minutes now we have very little to play for (1 position in the league?), along with the lack of a match day attendance and the fact they look like world beaters compared with others their age. 

Especially if playing Barkley is the alternative. ;)

I'd probably wait until after their final though

Edited by MrBlack

29 minutes ago, useless said:

There's been an outpouring of calls for him to be given a chance in the first team after yesterday's FA Youth Cup game against West Brom, and there was similar for Chukwuemeka after we beat Newcastle in the last round. Probably worth remembering that the FA Youth Cup is an U18 tournament, it's not even U23 level, so whilst it's good to see our youngsters do well in the competition and seeing them play as well as they have been doing is a very promsing sign, I don't think we should be using it to judge whether they're ready for the first team or not, Dean Smith himself has said that he's judging them based on how they do in training because the gap between U23 football and premier league football is so big.

It’s a good point. We want to see them dominating other U23 teams regularly before they can start playing for the first team.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Surely this cannot be true. I couldn’t imagine ever telling a team to “go easy” on another team. If I were in that Liverpool team I’d say **** off, kick 10 lumps of shit out of our players, bag myself an easy hat trick and celebrate full Elmo. 

If the situation was reversed and we ended up playing the academy side of a team that we'd be expected to beat even if their first team were available, I'd want us to behave appropriately. I'd be pretty embarrassed to see Matt Targett or Tyrone Mings flying in with the same physicality that they do in a PL match against some scrawny 16 year old who had barely signed his first professional contract. I'd lose some respect for Jack if I saw him wildly celebrating a goal he scored against a defence made up of children.

Sure, I'd expect my players to win but the manner in which they win would also be important. Liverpool weren't celebrating their goals, and I don't think they were being as physical as they would have been against grown men. Bullying children isn't a good look.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I think it's more that those games just don't reach the same level of intensity in the first place. Liverpool were expecting an easy win, so their mentality was more relaxed. I doubt they were getting themselves fired up in the changing room for a reducer first 5 mins!

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think it's more that those games just don't reach the same level of intensity in the first place. Liverpool were expecting an easy win, so their mentality was more relaxed. I doubt they were getting themselves fired up in the changing room for a reducer first 5 mins!

You say "those games" but there can't be too many other instances where a club has their entire senior squad unavailable for selection due to medical reasons, right? Not sure there's any other comparable games at all.

Â