Tom13

2 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Might be a dumb question but I honestly can’t remember. Is he a Villa fan? 

Yep, big time. He was at school in Sutton and his family are big Villa fans. Basically another Jack.

• Thanks 1

He looks the most ready to take the step up in my view but for some reason Dean is yet to get him involved. He is such an intelligent football player that it surely cannot be long. High hopes for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Has looked beyond this U18 level for most of this season.

Surely he can't be far off, a good pre-season and hopefully a few appearances for the first team next season.

That’s good.
To make the step up, they really need to be outstanding compared to everyone else in the U18 team, and also compared to pretty much all others players in the same position from all the youth squads around the country.

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

He looks the most ready to take the step up in my view but for some reason Dean is yet to get him involved. He is such an intelligent football player that it surely cannot be long. High hopes for him.

In terms of ability and pace definitely ready. In terms of physical development, he still looks pretty lightweight, and maybe Dean's worried he'll get bullied / injured if introduced too quickly to first team football.

I'd like to see him get 20 mins here and there as a wide forward. He has a bit of the Thierry Henry about him IMO, could do a lot of damage drifting wide and taking on defenders.

8 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yep, big time. He was at school in Sutton and his family are big Villa fans. Basically another Jack.

I went to school with his uncle.

22 goals in 20 games (I think)...

That's outstanding and to think he was both dangerous and clinical against Liverpool.

I think for his development Barry needs to be in and around the first-teamers and match-fit squad. That is presuming he continues to improve and show the desire to be a top player. All signs are good so far.

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

In terms of ability and pace definitely ready. In terms of physical development, he still looks pretty lightweight, and maybe Dean's worried he'll get bullied / injured if introduced too quickly to first team football.

I'd like to see him get 20 mins here and there as a wide forward. He has a bit of the Thierry Henry about him IMO, could do a lot of damage drifting wide and taking on defenders.

I'm not worried about his physical side, the lad let rip on a massive Liverpool defender who were way bigger than him and he still couldn't do owt to Barry.

Barry will be fine and he will use his technical skills to keep opponents that are bigger away from him.

Keep him lightweight and keep him agile, if he starts plonking weight in be may lose his speed and he likes to run with the ball and it makes him dangerous.

I was thinking more like an Ian rush, maybe I'm wrong there but he so reminds me of a young rush type.

Edited by Dave-R

I can really see Jack moving into the middle and Barry getting some time out wide. I'd imagine that's where he'll start before moving inside. I think it's easier to get him minutes in the first team there than as our lone striker. 

Incredibly exciting prospect. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can really see Jack moving into the middle and Barry getting some time out wide. I'd imagine that's where he'll start before moving inside. I think it's easier to get him minutes in the first team there than as our lone striker. 

Incredibly exciting prospect. 

I like the idea of that happening.

He's certainly creative and a nuisance.

If we did make this move we may not need to buy a Winger in Summer and I'd be completely okay with injecting Barry into the first team full on and get him upto speed quickly. I would at least give him some friendlys before season starts and see how the lad does before making a final decision.

To be honest if we had of done what I said which were to just use these remainder games to try see how Chuk and Barry do in a full first team, we could then arrive at a decision sooner before Summer window ends. At least then we would see if Barry and Chuk are capable of bringing a first team quality next season and if not we then go buy a Winger.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

I like the idea of that happening.

He's certainly creative and a nuisance.

If we did make this move we may not need to buy a Winger in Summer and I'd be completely okay with injecting Barry into the first team full on and get him upto speed quickly. I would at least give him some friendlys before season starts and see how the lad does before making a final decision.

To be honest if we had of done what I said which were to just use these remainder games to try see how Chuk and Barry do in a full first team, we could then arrive at a decision sooner before Summer window ends. At least then we would see if Barry and Chuk are capable of bringing a first team quality next season and if not we then go buy a Winger.

I'm not sure the coaches at villa need to see it. They'll know if these players are ready for a full season of first team football, which I highly doubt they are. 

We still need to buy first team players and let Barry and Chuk get their moments next season. 

Currently I wouldn't have Barry ahead of El Ghazi. He's a prospect that we slowly integrate in. 

Look at Foden. Isn't he 2 years older than Barry and he's only recently become a regular starter. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Ramsey isn't exactly a physical specimen  either and get pushed off the ball too easily at times. 

No reason to why Barry shouldn't at least get some minutes 

All players get there own at being pushed off the ball, it happens but it's not an excuse or reason on here to keep saying someone shouldn't be put in a first team.

Edited by Dave-R

As long as keeps on progressing the way he is, should get some first team time no doubt.  Besides just him, I very much like all the prospects we have in our Academy.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure the coaches at villa need to see it. They'll know if these players are ready for a full season of first team football, which I highly doubt they are. 

We still need to buy first team players and let Barry and Chuk get their moments next season. 

Currently I wouldn't have Barry ahead of El Ghazi. He's a prospect that we slowly integrate in. 

Look at Foden. Isn't he 2 years older than Barry and he's only recently become a regular starter. 

Age doesn't have owt to do with it does it? If they are ready they are ready and those two lads Chuk and Barry (sounds like I'm talking about the chuckle brothers) seem like they're about ready to make the jump up.

Sometimes our fans or we as a club have been more than well known for holding these lads back more than what other teams would, that's been the case for decades for us. I hope Smith uses them next season, sure if it's to gradually introduce them then I'll still be happy but to not at all would be a mistake now. Even if here and there these lads are to be used as rotation, it gives them game time and it gives first teamers a breather which they sorely could of done with this long season.

Whether we like it or not Smith has to start using youth abit more like the bigger teams do and refresh players anyhow, you just big your games wisely but hey at least your first team will be replenished by doing it. I have a feeling that we may not of dropped as many points if we had of smartly used youths it more but that's just me.

20 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I'm not worried about his physical side, the lad let rip on a massive Liverpool defender who were way bigger than him and he still couldn't do owt to Barry.

Barry will be fine and he will use his technical skills to keep opponents that are bigger away from him.

Keep him lightweight and keep him agile, if he starts plonking weight in be may lose his speed and he likes to run with the ball and it makes him dangerous.

I was thinking more like an Ian rush, maybe I'm wrong there but he so reminds me of a young rush type.

He was up against a young Liverpool defender in that game (think it was Phillips?) and they were trying to cruise the game.

He’s definitely a quality player and ready to have some minutes here and there, but he hasn’t finished developing physically. I’m not talking about him piling on muscle in the gym, but just becoming a man. He’s still a boy. Smith is doing the right thing.

• Like 2

Â