Tom13

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Don't see this happening myself. - I would think any move would wait until the summer. Potentially he is going from Barca to maybe a championship club next season.

Let's not forget how we wept over Dan Crowley - who seems to have been in the backwaters ever since. £3m is ridiculous money for a 16 year old - 16 is just to young to make a judgement.

Sure we might get that fee back 10x over - but the most pressing prize is £150m TV money we loose should we get relegated

Must.... drain... positive vibes.... gahhhhhhh

On a more serious note, you do know that sound and accurate judgements are made on much younger players than that? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This lad is so young Jack Grealish was probably his favourite player "growing up".

He was 11 when we beat Liverpool at Wembley in the FA Cup semi.

He was 7 when MON walked out.

He was 5 when Gareth Barry left Villa for Man City.

I think I need a lie down.

BriskShimmeringGraywolf-small.gif

*oldies

the thing for me is you look at the stories and moaning that the baggies haven't been paid the £130k yet by mega rich Barcelona and then you see villa fans saying "why are we spending this kid of money on a kid with FFP" etc

1) £1m is next to nothing now, barca have made 10x that on him in 6 months, even if he fails here we should be able to move him and recover our costs, you look at the likes of Liverpool selling bang average squad players to Bournemouth for £20m every summer, the barca academy stuff alone should ensure we get some sort of profit on him even if he fails to break through here

2) I hope we play barca at their own game, we pay the £130k upfront which pays the baggies off and stops them lot moaning, we then structure the rest of the money according to FFP, that's what purslow's here for, barca owe money to half of Europe's top teams, they still haven't paid for Coutinho for either

we sign a local lad who's a villa fan from Barcelona who has a great record for England for small change and lets be honest do we really have anyone of real quality coming through?? cant see anything but positives personally

• Like 3

Speaking to my Baggies mates about this. They're unbelievably salty that this has happened. Mainly this is directed at Barca though, who admittedly have acted in a pretty shady way.

I get the sense that it's more annoyance at the rules/authorities though because if he'd gone to an English club direct from WBA they'd have been due a lot more money. Apparently it's not the first time they've had players poached and there's a feeling they're being continually pillaged. Don't forget that it happened to us a few years ago with Crowley, now at the scum but looked very promising in his earlier days.

Ultimately nothing will change as the rules suit UEFA just fine. If clubs competing in their competitions can hoover up potential talent at rock bottom prices they'd see that is a pretty effective rule.

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Could this have been the plan all along?  All seems a bit to coincidental to me. No way the baggies would have sold him to us ......

I doubt it. Why would Barcelona get involved?

Haven't we got Baggies' old Academy manager or director or something now?
More likely, and I'm only guessing, is the move to Barca hasn't worked out, either because he's not performing or he's homesick, said academy manager/director knew about it or is still in contact with the player or the family, rates him and made it happen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Speaking to my Baggies mates about this. They're unbelievably salty that this has happened. Mainly this is directed at Barca though, who admittedly have acted in a pretty shady way.

I get the sense that it's more annoyance at the rules/authorities though because if he'd gone to an English club direct from WBA they'd have been due a lot more money. Apparently it's not the first time they've had players poached and there's a feeling they're being continually pillaged. Don't forget that it happened to us a few years ago with Crowley, now at the scum but looked very promising in his earlier days.

Ultimately nothing will change as the rules suit UEFA just fine. If clubs competing in their competitions can hoover up potential talent at rock bottom prices they'd see that is a pretty effective rule.

The forum linked earlier mentioned a guy called Hirst who was poached by Leuven for peanuts then Leicester took him. 

Its farcical and its on the FA as well, some lower league clubs closed the academies as they would lose money

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The forum linked earlier mentioned a guy called Hirst who was poached by Leuven for peanuts then Leicester took him. 

Its farcical and its on the FA as well, some lower league clubs closed the academies as they would lose money

The thing I don't get is, how did this work in the past? Did under 16 players in the 70s/80s/90s get poached like this or is it a recent development?

I know football has become more of a "business" than a sport but it seems that the "elite" clubs have become way more predatory than they have been in the past.

I think in this case, it's because under 16s aren't eligble for professional contracts and therefore aren't subject to the usual transfer system where the selling club has to give consent for the buyer to make contact and gets to negotiate a price. What's happening now is that the predators are targeting the families of these kids to make sure they get them and that's wrong.

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

The thing I don't get is, how did this work in the past? Did under 16 players in the 70s/80s/90s get poached like this or is it a recent development?

I know football has become more of a "business" than a sport but it seems that the "elite" clubs have become way more predatory than they have been in the past.

I think in this case, it's because under 16s aren't eligble for professional contracts and therefore aren't subject to the usual transfer system where the selling club has to give consent for the buyer to make contact and gets to negotiate a price. What's happening now is that the predators are targeting the families of these kids to make sure they get them and that's wrong.

A few years back the FA changed the laws I think after Bostock case. Rated clubs by a grade and said teams in the top grade can sign players from other academies for peanuts as its better for their development. Chelsea were buying up all the academy talent before that though none have ever really made the grade. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Its the huge sums in transfer fee's that i think has changed the landscape.

I think today there is more chance of spending big on a dud....than what happened in the  70s/80s/90s

There is more of case for prudency today, to avoid getting fleeced.

I think it is paramount to get the staff who have Nous in the recruitment area.

I feel for them, i remember what it's like when we lost crowley to arsenal. The whole system is open to manipulation by the bigger teams.

Clubs need to have far more protection else what's the point of training any youth!

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I feel for them, i remember what it's like when we lost crowley to arsenal. The whole system is open to manipulation by the bigger teams.

Clubs need to have far more protection else what's the point of training any youth!

Because every once in a while, you get a Jack Grealish. If not, it doesn’t mean they don’t have good careers elsewhere. Look at Daniel Johnson and Callum Robinson, there are many more floating around at various levels

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Because every once in a while, you get a Jack Grealish. If not, it doesn’t mean they don’t have good careers elsewhere. Look at Daniel Johnson and Callum Robinson, there are many more floating around at various levels

What's the point if your jack grealish can be stolen for peanuts?

its a catch 22, do you really want players below 16 being allowed to sign contracts?

teams cant "own" 12 year olds, I have no problem with that, when said 12 year old hits 16 and signs for man city instead though what can you do? in reality if they did reduce the age of the contract then man city would simply reduce the age that they made the bid, nothing would change

• Like 2

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

He won’t go for peanuts and no player is bigger than the club

not now

use Bellingham at blues as a different example, their grealish, been with them since he was 8 I think, not signed pro terms, someone could take him from them and pay maybe £1.5 rising depending on his career but lets say £5m tops for him, he signs pro terms and he's a £20m player, you then raise the questions over him playing every week for blues vs disappearing for 3/4 years in city's youth set up but earning £10k a week more at 16

im surprised no one has taken him if im honest

• Like 1

Â