Tom13

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

as soon as we're mathmatically safe I'd chuck the kid in let him have a whack.

it's about time the brummies started making a big impact. alan smith is probably the biggest football star from the city which is a disgrace.

Jack says hi!

football kiss GIF by Aston Villa FC

• Like 1

As we dont seem to produce many half decent forwards ( gabby for a while, darius vassell for a while,Ian olney, Garry shaw being the only ones who instantly spring to mind)

I'm hoping this kid develops to his apparent potential. We have waited a very long time to produce a good forward.

Edited by brummybloke

2 hours ago, screwdriver said:

as soon as we're mathmatically safe I'd chuck the kid in let him have a whack.

it's about time the brummies started making a big impact. alan smith is probably the biggest football star from the city which is a disgrace.

Your screw really is loose! 

• Haha 2

Aston Villa’s new teenage striking sensation Louie Barry has spoken for the first time on why he left European giants Barcelona to join his boyhood team, his ‘love’ for rivals West Brom and his ambition to become a first teamer by the end of the season.

Speaking to BirminghamLive after picking up the Elite Junior Sports Person of the Year honour at the Sutton Coldfield Sports Awards held at the Ramada Hotel last Friday (January 31) – 16-year-old Barry spoke of everything coming together at the right time for his dream move to Aston Villa.

Boyhood coach, boyhood club and a chance to come home and live in Sutton, where his girlfriend is also based.

Barry seemed happy to have secured a move ‘home’ during the January transfer window – having only joined Barça from West Bromwich Albion last summer.

He also had sympathy with Baggies fans’ frustrations with his move to their Midlands rivals. The club are owed a flat £235,000 compensation fee for overseas youngsters. While Barcelona are set to make £1million which could rise to £3 million with add-ons.

He said: “I understand they’re quite fired up about it.

“I loved West Brom as a club. I was there from the age of six to 15. I will always have love for them and will never say a bad word against them.

“I came to Aston Villa to work with Mark Harrison. I just wanted to come back. I really enjoyed it at Barcelona.

“I am coming back home – but I wasn’t homesick. I was born in Aston. I have supported Villa all my life.”

Mark coached Louie at West Brom, where the youngster was based from age six to 15. And himself moved to Bodymoor Heath to become academy manager at the start of the season, having worked with the Baggies for 13 years.

The teenage forward is hungry to make an impression at Villa – even though he was moving away from one of Europe’s top clubs.

Barry, who lives in Four Oaks in Sutton, said he was currently waiting for ‘international clearance’ having left the famed La Masia training complex in Catalonia.

The original Barcelona training school, in the shadows of the Nou Camp, nurtured talents including World Cup winners Xavi Henandez, Andres Iniesta and of course, Argentinian superstar Lionel Messi.

The new version opened in 2011 on the fringes of the city and was Barry’s base for six months.

Although he was in close proximity with the Barcelona first-teamers – he didn’t get to interact with them. He said: “They trained two pitches away. I saw them all the time but didn’t meet them.”

The former Bishop Walsh School student said he and his cohorts went in to the city and got ‘asked for selfies’, but he didn’t get down to the city’s famed beaches! His stay was certainly no holiday.

Now he has his sights set fully on playing for Villa’s first team. “I played for the under 23s against Cardiff and scored the winner.

“I am fighting for the first team. What I want to do first at Villa is play really well and go up the ranks. My main ambition is to be in the first team by the end of the season.

“Dean Smith was excited for me to come in. I have spoken to all of the first team players.”

This weekend he flew out to Marbella to take part in a three England under-17 warm-up friendlies before Euro qualifiers in March.

Barry was proud of his international scoring record – more than a goal-a-game for the Three Lions. He said: “I have scored 21 goals in 20 appearances for the under-15,s 16s and 17s. I want to play in the under-17s Euros in Estonia in May.”

And he has also been considered a bit of a lucky mascot for Villa with the team reaching the Carabao Cup final and firing their way out of the relegation zone since his arrival. He hopes he too will be on the score sheet firing Villa up the league soon.

He said: “I hope to do my best for club and country. We will just try our best. I believe in the club.

“On our day we can beat any opposition.”

Birmingham Mail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, useless said:

Aston Villa’s new teenage striking sensation Louie Barry has spoken for the first time on why he left European giants Barcelona to join his boyhood team, his ‘love’ for rivals West Brom and his ambition to become a first teamer by the end of the season.

Speaking to BirminghamLive after picking up the Elite Junior Sports Person of the Year honour at the Sutton Coldfield Sports Awards held at the Ramada Hotel last Friday (January 31) – 16-year-old Barry spoke of everything coming together at the right time for his dream move to Aston Villa.

Boyhood coach, boyhood club and a chance to come home and live in Sutton, where his girlfriend is also based.

Barry seemed happy to have secured a move ‘home’ during the January transfer window – having only joined Barça from West Bromwich Albion last summer.

He also had sympathy with Baggies fans’ frustrations with his move to their Midlands rivals. The club are owed a flat £235,000 compensation fee for overseas youngsters. While Barcelona are set to make £1million which could rise to £3 million with add-ons.

He said: “I understand they’re quite fired up about it.

“I loved West Brom as a club. I was there from the age of six to 15. I will always have love for them and will never say a bad word against them.

“I came to Aston Villa to work with Mark Harrison. I just wanted to come back. I really enjoyed it at Barcelona.

“I am coming back home – but I wasn’t homesick. I was born in Aston. I have supported Villa all my life.”

Mark coached Louie at West Brom, where the youngster was based from age six to 15. And himself moved to Bodymoor Heath to become academy manager at the start of the season, having worked with the Baggies for 13 years.

The teenage forward is hungry to make an impression at Villa – even though he was moving away from one of Europe’s top clubs.

Barry, who lives in Four Oaks in Sutton, said he was currently waiting for ‘international clearance’ having left the famed La Masia training complex in Catalonia.

The original Barcelona training school, in the shadows of the Nou Camp, nurtured talents including World Cup winners Xavi Henandez, Andres Iniesta and of course, Argentinian superstar Lionel Messi.

The new version opened in 2011 on the fringes of the city and was Barry’s base for six months.

Although he was in close proximity with the Barcelona first-teamers – he didn’t get to interact with them. He said: “They trained two pitches away. I saw them all the time but didn’t meet them.”

The former Bishop Walsh School student said he and his cohorts went in to the city and got ‘asked for selfies’, but he didn’t get down to the city’s famed beaches! His stay was certainly no holiday.

Now he has his sights set fully on playing for Villa’s first team. “I played for the under 23s against Cardiff and scored the winner.

“I am fighting for the first team. What I want to do first at Villa is play really well and go up the ranks. My main ambition is to be in the first team by the end of the season.

“Dean Smith was excited for me to come in. I have spoken to all of the first team players.”

This weekend he flew out to Marbella to take part in a three England under-17 warm-up friendlies before Euro qualifiers in March.

Barry was proud of his international scoring record – more than a goal-a-game for the Three Lions. He said: “I have scored 21 goals in 20 appearances for the under-15,s 16s and 17s. I want to play in the under-17s Euros in Estonia in May.”

And he has also been considered a bit of a lucky mascot for Villa with the team reaching the Carabao Cup final and firing their way out of the relegation zone since his arrival. He hopes he too will be on the score sheet firing Villa up the league soon.

He said: “I hope to do my best for club and country. We will just try our best. I believe in the club.

“On our day we can beat any opposition.”

Birmingham Mail

Encouraging. Looking forward to see him playing.

Love that he says he wants to play first team this season. Don’t know how realistic that is for him but glad he wants it and isn’t content to sit back.

That might mean if he hasn’t broken through in a couple of years he is not happy, but still like to see that drive. Barcelona had a 17 year old knocking in goals the other day... it’s not unknown for kids to break through early. Still of course important to get the balance right and not burn him out while he’s still developing whatever happens.

On 31/01/2020 at 16:51, zab6359 said:

If he's good enough he's old enough. Imagine VP on a Saturday afternoon bringing on a 16 year old Villa fan as there main striker!!

Oh dear god the complaining 😧

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

Â