Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

Guy is gassed after 40 minutes even with three weeks off. Surely it would make more sense to bring him on as a sub for last half hour. Wonder if there's something in the agreement he has to start games when he's fit as I'm pretty sure he has in all games he's been available so far.

• Like 2

If I didn't know anything about football, and, at the start of the game someone had told me that he was a 45 year old having his testimonial I'd have believed it watching him play. 

He must be the slowest professional player I've ever seen in any sport, I'm pretty sure darts players have more of a turn of speed than this guy. I'm 35 years old with a crocked knee and I'm pretty sure if you put me in that midfield I'd do no worse.

I cannot see anything that he offers, he's unbearably slow, both running and reacting, constantly behind the play, incapable of passing forwards, no matter what time or space he has he can only muster a pass back to one of the CBs. Even then put him under pressure he'd still mess up the pass. 

I'm usually pretty positive, but I'm absolutely baffled how this guy keeps getting in the team, I'm sure he used to be good, but he is possibly the worst player I've ever seen in the Villa midfield and I include utter tripe like Sylla in that, at least Sylla wasn't an automatic starter costing us points every week 

Cancel his loan, send him back to his London retirement home to keep milking them for money until he actually retires at the end of his contract 

• Like 2

Have I gone completely mental or something because I don't think he was too bad today. Was playing some decent balls from the midfield in the first half when we were quite on top. Genuinely have I got this wrong? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Have I gone completely mental or something because I don't think he was too bad today. Was playing some decent balls from the midfield in the first half when we were quite on top. Genuinely have I got this wrong? 

His passing can be good and he shows for the ball but he cant run and has the fitness level of a sloth. He deteriorates as the game goes on at an alarming rate . Nakamba a much better option in my opinion.

Edited by villa89

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Guy is gassed after 40 minutes even with three weeks off. Surely it would make more sense to bring him on as a sub for last half hour. Wonder if there's something in the agreement he has to start games when he's fit as I'm pretty sure he has in all games he's been available so far.

40 mins is being generous, he looked out of it after 15 minutes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He won the ball back in a few decent areas but then went on to lose it in an even more dangerous area. There is absolutely no way this guy is better than Nakamba. Baffling to keep playing him. Will cost Smith. 

13 minutes ago, Farlz said:

If he gets the ball in 20 yards of space under no pressure he is generally capable of passing to the closest villa player to him, usually the CBs but occasionally another midfielder. That's about the best I can say about him

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I thought he was fine today. Had some awful passes and had some wonderful passes and was a bully in the midfield. He’s a stop-gap until McGinn is back and that’s fine with me. 

• Like 1

Tries hard but miles off the pace .Won the ball a few times but also gave it away dreadfully at times and just looks what he is ..a player who has hardly played all season.

No way he should be playing in a CM of 2 thats for sure 

This for me is the one area that I blame Smith for, without a doubt. Luiz, Nakamba and Hourihane are far better options. Smith seems to believe that if we play him enough, it's worth the initial hit we'll take, as he'll get close to his 2015 form. He's costing us time and time again, and Smith appears to be quite stubborn on this, which I have to say is out of character.

It was a punt, it hasn't paid off, it's time to accept that and not have him as first name on the teamsheet after Jack...

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

This is the only explanation.

Â