Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

To be fair hes not fit, should be bringing him on as a sub for the next 5+ games to get him up to speed.

Starting drinkwater when not fit and way behind the pace is entirely on deano for me.

Just now, sne said:

4.77 rating on Whoscored :D 

No one is even close to that bad

I have no idea how they calculate their ratings but he was levels ahead of Hourihane, as an example, who I don’t think touched the ball. Don’t get me wrong, still outclassed as everyone was, I’m not here saying he played well. But I thought better than the rest of the CM apart from the awful error for the second. Oh although I did love that one run from Douglas Luiz.

He wasn't great but he wasn't even our worst midfielder, let alone worst player on the pitch. 

Lots of rubbish in here.

It was an absolutely atrocious decision to bring in a player who's played once all season, and start him against Man City. He was nowhere near match fit, and has hardly even trained with our team.

He wasn't good today, but frankly, it's another example of Smith's piss poor management. 

I didn't support bringing Drinkwater in, I don't like him much at all, but he was set up for failure today, and that's entirely on the manager.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair hes not fit, should be bringing him on as a sub for the next 5+ games to get him up to speed.

Starting drinkwater when not fit and way behind the pace is entirely on deano for me.

Got 70mins under his belt, well on his way to match fitness 😃

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It was an absolutely atrocious decision to bring in a player who's played once all season, and start him against Man City. He was nowhere near match fit, and has hardly even trained with our team.

He wasn't good today, but frankly, it's another example of Smith's piss poor management. 

I didn't support bringing Drinkwater in, I don't like him much at all, but he was set up for failure today, and that's entirely on the manager.

But on the other hand we may have weighed up the benefit of giving him some game time in a game we weren't likely to win to help get him up to speed.  Obviously it turned into a nightmare for him but he wasnt alone today.  He has a week to work hard in training on the back of this.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

But on the other hand we may have weighed up the benefit of giving him some game time in a game we weren't likely to win to help get him up to speed.  Obviously it turned into a nightmare for him but he wasnt alone today.  He has a week to work hard in training on the back of this.

That was the only thing I could think of, that he used this match to rest key players and get others up to speed. It’s not something I would expect of Smith but the line up was odd today. 

I can't fathom why we signed him. He was always likely to be way off the required level for quite some time, if not for the remainder of the season. It honestly reeks of 'he and Smith play golf together sometimes', or 'we really need to do a favour for his agent' or something similar. He's the kind of signing that Harry Redknapp would make. 

• Like 1

Â