Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not for his defensive coaching abilities I hope

I love the assumption on here that because Terry was a defender he is responsible for coaching our defence. Do we think, say, Kenny Dalglish only coached attacking players?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

I love the assumption on here that because Terry was a defender he is responsible for coaching our defence. Do we think, say, Kenny Dalglish only coached attacking players?

Dean said the other day that JT coaches the defenders.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

His role is defensive coach 

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Dean said the other day that JT coaches the defenders.

But Terry won’t be picking the team or tactics. It’s our team as a whole that’s poor defensively so it’s a stretch to blame the defensive coach in isolation. I’m not sure if Drinkwater will help that or not, we’ll see soon enough.

Very underwhelming but hopefully he can do a job. If sticking with a 3-4-2-1/3-4-1-2 formation the 2 in the middle should be Douglas and Nakamba  but he would be useful to replace Nakambe when he runs out of steam or if changing to a 3-5-1-1 like against Burnley in the 2nd half he could be more useful than Hourihane. Good thing its only a loan though.

I think it's a gamle definitely worth taking. We really need a midfielder with Premier League quality and experience, so on the face of it it looks like terrific business, a £35M player who was instrumental in a title winning team with caps for England and not even 30 yet.

Two things make me worried though, the first is that he hasn't played for a long long time, surly it must take him time to get his match fitness and sharpness up and I'm not sure if we have that time. The second thing is if he now had such a good attitude and trained so well as Dyche was saying, why the heck didn't he get a game at Burnley then? The fact that Westwood got picked over him is very worrying.

As for the personal issues I also find it funny calling him Danny Drinkbeer or whatever, but I wouldn't smudge too much on that. Of course it sounds bad but we don't know about the circumstances, anyone can make mistakes and for me it's more about how he makes up for it.

I remember thinking he was great for Leicester but have some problems coming to grips with what kind of player he is, nearest I come is Cleverly. Neither a defensive holding midfielder or an attacking midfielder, but something inbetween. I guess he would be suited to playing in the McGinn role in a 3-man midfield, if we play 3-4-3 he would surly be one of the two midfielders. If I remember correctly he played with Kanté in the middle of a 4-man midfield for Leicester. Hopefully he will slot in well beside Luiz there for us, or beside Nakamba if we go more defensive.

Hopefully we buy a strikes who likes running behind the opponent's backline who he can ping some through balls to!

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

Short term loan for little outlay, I don't see any negatives really. 

Perhaps 110,000 outlays every week ?

Best debutant I ever saw for England, outstanding at Leicester ...... just a car crash of a mess since. Partly his fault but partly circumstances such as playing under multiple crap managers at Chelsea.

If Smith can scrape the outer layers away, we'll rediscover the outstanding player he once was ...... but time is not on our side !

Why has everyone decided it’s fact that he is on £110k per week and Villa are paying all of it?

Even if it’s true it’s £2m for a Premier League winner from Chelsea (reserves). Not a fortune really. We bought plenty of players for £10m+ then wages on top from Championship teams on 4 year deals that were not up to scratch. 

Edited by Genie

Just now, Paul33 said:

Perhaps 110,000 outlays every week ?

Best debutant I ever saw for England, outstanding at Leicester ...... just a car crash of a mess since. Partly his fault but partly circumstances such as playing under multiple crap managers at Chelsea.

If Smith can scrape the outer layers away, we'll rediscover the outstanding player he once was ...... but time is not on our side !

If it's been confirmed and I've missed it I'll stand corrected, but I think it's highly unlikely that we are paying his full salary. 

It is a lot less gamble to take him on loan than buying a proven midfielder from leagues in Belgium og Holland. We can give him 4-5 matches to get up to speed. We can not buy another foreighner that needs 15 matches to get comfortable in our league.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Get some Tom Carroll vibes over this signing.

Can't see him playing much.

You might be right but equally I wonder if we have a bit of a Giroud thing going on where our fans are turning their nose up at someone definitely better than most of our players. The lad won a title and was signed for tens of millions. May well be past it but equally we may well be underestimating him vs our own players. We will see I guess.

32 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Can I ask (for personal interest given my above point!) where you have seen this? Thanks!

He's assistant head coach with ROK and Cutler. Do you think it's wrong to assume that Cutler is GK coach?

Â