Is this years FA Cup semi line-up good or bad for the cup ?

BOF

What do you think?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I think it's great for the cup
    • I think it's bad for the cup
    • Other (specify)

I think that, so far, the Cup has been excellent (ignoring the 3rd round draw & Villa-Man U stuff :winkold:), especially the quarter finals.

I think that there may be a danger of it ending up in a big anti climax for the neutral (quite often the case) and that the final might end up as a run of the mill Championship game.

Ideally, and in line with how the cup has gone this season, I want Pompey in the final so that there is still a good chance of a giant killing.

So far this year it has been the year of the minnow - let's hope there is that bigger side (i.e. Pompey) to enable the other to be a minnow.

Oh, and I hope Pompey lose the final too. :D

i think its dreadful

If the final was 2 lower league clubs i certainly wont watch it

wont be a good standard of football

Im sick to death of watching Arsenal, Manyoo, Chelski & Liverplop grinding out another win and to be honest havent watched the final live since Millwall got there and that was only because I was abroad and it was a good excuse for a drink or two.

I think it is fantastic for football and the FA Cup in particular

Good for TV ratings in the UK.

Not good for ratings worldwide.

Good for English football.

Bad for us.

I don't agree with this part. The Big 4 are by far away the biggest draw in this country and a game not involving the big 4 will not attract as many neutrals. A Man Utd Chelsea final would always attract more viewers than say a Pompey Cardiff final.

That said it's good for football that there are 2 teams for whom winning the FA Cup will be a massive achievement rather than a consolation prize in lieu of the PL.

Definitelky good for the football.Like OBE said, people can start to dream again. I like it.Shame that it probably will affect us.And why the hell did we have to meet Manure in the first round. We could've won this. Ah well, now we know it'spossible next year and we'll have 2 cup finals to playin a short time. FA-cup and the CL. ;)

You often hear people talk about the magic of the FA Cup, the last few seasons that magic had not been there. Now however, it is back, and I think that is brilliant for the tournament and English football in general.

I can't wait to see the semi final matches and I think the final, whoever is in it, will be a lot more competitive and enjoyable to watch than last season's dross.

I think the way the FA Cup has worked out has been great, all clubs can dream again. I think it's also vital that somebody breaks the 'big 4' in the next couple of seasons. And by break it I don't mean finish 4th in one season like Everton did a few years back, I mean finish in the top 4 and stay there for more than 1 season. Hopefully we will be the team to do that, because somebody needs to, and maybe when it happens football will become genuinely competitive again at all levels and not dull and predictable like it has been the last few seasons.

I really hope Barnsley win it..reason ?

Well iam sure the west brom fans dislike villa alot so i dont want them to win it

After watching a documentary about football hooligans i dont want cardiff to win it because of their brain dead "fans"

And pompey ?? let me just say : Harry"should have been in jail"Redknapp

Call me undecided on this question.

I'm not marinated in the lore of the FA Cup (indeed, I don't think I actually watched a single Carling or FA Cup game until this season), so I almost have to transmute this into something more from my experience, the NCAA tournament will have to play that part (though I often argue that the proper analogy for the NCAA tournament is the Champions League), and in that case I think that a Final Four without one of the traditional powers would be a letdown for a neutral fan. Of course, a critical difference is that winning the NCAA tournament makes you national champion and is without question the greatest honor a college basketball side can win (notwithstanding the earliest years when the NIT was more important), while the FA Cup is the weakest of the three legs of the treble, so I can see how lower level competitors would go more all-out (though if it comes down to promotion/survival in the PL vs. winning the FA Cup, I think most clubs would choose the former...).

I think its excellent.

I really hope Burnley win it, they deserve it the most thats for sure.

Sorry to break this to you but they're already out :winkold:

Shan't watch semis.

May watch final. Doubt it.

Disaster for the FA. Will they fill Wemberleeeeeeee three times with the clubs left? Will the corporate turn up?

To foreign fans the FA Cup looks about as attractive as the Kings cup. Never watched that and I bet not everyone even knows what it is?!

And for Villa......... Now we have to try and hang on for the intertwobob. Nightmare.

Enjoying a little chuckle at the FA's expense though!

It's great for the cup, it's what the FA Cup is all about. It would be really nice to see a side from outside of the Premiership win it this year, Barnsley for me given they've beaten Liverpool at Anfield and Chelsea at home.

I might actually watch the final this year now.

Foreign fan here,

I'm absolutely loving it, Barnsley for the cup, yes, some overseas "consumers" of the Prmeier League "Product line" are unsophisticated glory hunters but far from all, the variety, heritage and colour of all 92 (plus the odd non league minnow like Havant & Waterlooville, for example) is part of what makes the English football scene so appealing, so unlike the corporate franchise system in N America (don't get me wrong, I do like hockey...). The idea that a complete underdog can have their moment of pure glory is very attractive indeed, and the FA Cup is practically unique in that regard. Even the league itself, with the promotion and relegation is a distinct contrast to the prevailing N American way.

I was fortunate enough to see the old Wimbledon play when they were in the old first division. once at Highbury against the Arse and once at their own ground against Millwall, and when I heard much later they were to be franchised I was very disappointed indeed. I was heartened, then, when I heard that fans had created a new club and that it was doing quite well. The idea that a fan created club like AFC Wimbledon can be promoted to the league and challenge MK Dons for example is completely alien to N American practice but to my mind fantastic.

The idea of a WBA Barnsley final or Pompey Cardiff sounds great, My only bitch now is that I have to find someone who has satellite and is willing to have me over at 7am!

cheers, Gary

(though if it comes down to promotion/survival in the PL vs. winning the FA Cup, I think most clubs would choose the former...)

It depends. If we are talking about the sides still in the competition? I think all of them probably know this is a once in a lifetime thing. Only West Brom (promotion) and Barnsley (relegation) really have anything to worry about league wise. Cardiff wont make the playoffs, Pompey wont qualify for Europe so taking the silverware is the only option.

To put it another way. Will you tell the grandkids about that season you finished in the top 5? No. About the time when you got promoted? Maybe, but you get promoted every half a dozen years anyway. What about the time you won the FA cup?

Its easy to be cynical about the league being this all important thing, but id take a shit premiership season and a cup win over a good season and **** all.

To put it another way. Will you tell the grandkids about that season you finished in the top 5? No. About the time when you got promoted? Maybe, but you get promoted every half a dozen years anyway. What about the time you won the FA cup?

Very true... however, given the money available from a season in the PL, getting there and staying there builds a platform for future success (if you're properly managed, etc.) including future cup runs. When the history of a club that's yo-yo'd is written, I suspect that a 5-10 year spell in the top flight will be more apt to be considered the club's glory days as opposed to a Cup win, and obviously, if you're not promoted, you can't have the time in the top-flight.

Â