Pre-match thread

Ouchmefoot

I know it could be said to all games but I feel tonight the first 20 minutes really are key to how this one goes. It's vital that we settle early, don't concede, be brave on the ball, disciplined without it and also show some aggression in our tackles.

If we do that then hopefully it will instill a bit of confidence in the players and we can produce a good account of ourselves. By no means will it be easy and if offered right now I would bite your hands off for a 2-1 defeat but lets not write it off before a ball is kicked - It's 11 vs 11 at the end of the day, let's not just turn up to have our bellies tickled!

UTV

Going to be a really tough one this, but if we can get anything like a result, then it would make for great second leg.  Even a narrow defeat wouldn’t be a disaster. I agree with most on here and say that we need to be full strength (fitness permitting):

Nyland

Konsa  Mings  Hause

Guilbert                                           Targett

Luiz   Nakamba  

Grealish 

AEG           Kodjia

Subs: Kalinic, Engels, Elmo, Taylor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Trez 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Its conceding that concerns me.

Yep, if we adopt the same defensive attitude to the recent league game at VP we're done for. I'm also worried about us in possession, you can see it going from one of the CB's to either one of the wing-backs who then have to give it back to the same CB because they've got no out ball, Kodjia isn't going to make runs into the channels all night and they will double up on Jack as he's our only real threat from midfield. Could be a long old night.

• Like 1

Smith had better go full strength tonight. I want to see Mings and Grealish out there.

5 at the back.Park the bus. get the nil nil required and then in a one off game at Villa Park we can do the business.

We've already been schooled by Rogers once. It's obvious what he will try and do. Prob use the diamond again.

We need to play for pens like Red Star Belgrade in 1991 tonight. Run the clock down at every opportunity. dont get sucked in trying the play the game the right way.

I want an exhibition of diving, cheating and stray elbows. we've been the nice guys all season and look where it's got us. An injury list longer than a re run of the film threads.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Smith had better go full strength tonight. I want to see Mings and Grealish out there.

5 at the back.Park the bus. get the nil nil required and then in a one off game at Villa Park we can do the business.

We've already been schooled by Rogers once. It's obvious what he will try and do. Prob use the diamond again.

We need to play for pens like Red Star Belgrade in 1991 tonight. Run the clock down at every opportunity. dont get sucked in trying the play the game the right way.

I want an exhibition of diving, cheating and stray elbows. we've been the nice guys all season and look where it's got us. An injury list longer than a re run of the film threads.

You were doing so well then I got to this 😂
You’re my favourite poster.

Do you think its more of an indication of how far we have slipped?

Or can some credit be given to Leicester and their rise to become one of the top clubs in the country?

Because let to fair to them they get a lot of things right.

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 2

They were premier league champions 2016, they are currently 2nd in the league and we are a long way behind so these odds are realistic. Wonder what they would have been in 1970 when 3rd division Villa drew at old Trafford and then won the following game at Villa Park ? We have a chance !

• Like 1

Smith needs to show he's learnt his lessons from the last game and not play so open and with such a high line for Vardy to exploit the space in behind. 

If we can do that and nick a goal without pushing too many players forward we could nick the first half. If that were the case, or it was a draw, then Leicester would likely switch things up at half time and again Smith needs to react and change our system again accordingly. There's a reason we've had a lot of first half success compared to second half, and that's because teams have adapted against us in the second half of games but we've carried on playing the same way.

looking forward to this game! I am not overly optimistic given how bloody good Leicester are these days but all I ask for is one helluva fight...and maybe a bloody win? UTV!

• Like 1

If we can come out and play with a similar approach that Leeds had at the Emirates in the first half......and what Arsenal found in the second half........we have a chance.

If we stand off, we are dead........if we close down and press, there's a chance of something.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, smg said:

They were premier league champions 2016, they are currently 2nd in the league and we are a long way behind so these odds are realistic. Wonder what they would have been in 1970 when 3rd division Villa drew at old Trafford and then won the following game at Villa Park ? We have a chance !

Or in recent history a League 2 team knocks out a Premier League team in a 2 leg semi final.  

We will probably lose tonight but we just need to keep the score down and then really go for it at home.  Away goals only count after extra time so not so important as they are in Europe. 

• Like 1