Pre-match thread

Ouchmefoot

Yeah as much as I get the sentiment of wanting to look after Grealish and Mings, no self-respecting team can soft pedal a cup semi-final.

I think the back 3 makes a lot of sense in this game against Leicester's likely front 2. I really like the way Konsa and Hause drive up the channels, and I'd like to see Hause pairing up with Targett. Think this will cause Leicester a lot more problems than our 4-3-3.

But we'll be very lucky to get anything out of this game. Taking a draw or a 1-goal deficit back to Villa Park would be a very good outcome.

• Like 1

Of course Grealish is going to play there's no way we wouldn't play him and no way he wouldn't want to play, this will be one of the biggest games of his Villa career, and if we want to keep him in future I don't think leaving him out of a semi-final for a major competition will do us any favours, he'll want play his part in helping us win our first trophy in over tweny years. We need a trophy, for me the only thing better than winning the league cup, would be winning the FA cup or the League title.

1 hour ago, siminjo said:

**** sending Grealish and mings to the butcher shop, so wes morgan can make sausage rolls out of their massive calves. 

Wes is injured so the lads won't get too much of a kicking

What do we think Leicester will do?

League position, chasing for a champs league space, although they have Southampton at home Saturday. Not sure they need to rest too many for that.

are we expecting a full strength Leicester side or a mix ? 

Looking forward to it. This squad needs game time to gel against PL opposition for the more important league itself which is new to us, as are most of our players. This is a great game to help with that. Winning wouldn't hurt spirits either. 

We can afford to lose, so I hope we play without fear and have some fun with it.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Vardy ripped us a new one in the league. Hopefully the new defensive set up with Tyrone will cope a little better.

Hoping for a draw tomorrow but expecting a narrow defeat. Either way, I reckon the tie will still be in the balance in 3 weeks time.

We need to not panic if we go a goal down. Keep it tight and keep the tie alive for the home leg.

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Are people seriously suggesting we play a weakened team without Mings and Grealish in a cup semi final?

I've heard it all now.

It's bizarre.

What are we saving them for? Man City on Sunday, a game we'll almost certainly get battered in?

It's a **** semi final. We should be doing absolutely everything to try and win it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nyland

Konsa  Mings  Hause

Guilbert                                           Targett

Luiz   Nakamba  Grealish

Trezeguet

Kodjia

With Trezeguet tracking back to cover Jack.

Unfortunately can't see anything other than a loss tonight, best we can hope for is we're still in the tie and hope a raucous Holte End can suck a few goals in during the second leg. Unless the Jon Kodjia of his first season for us in the Championship turns up I'm not too confident about our ability to score goals. 

Don't play a high line ffs!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, wedge said:

Nyland

Konsa  Mings  Hause

Guilbert                                           Targett

Luiz   Nakamba  Grealish

Trezeguet

Kodjia

With Trezeguet tracking back to cover Jack.

Unfortunately can't see anything other than a loss tonight, best we can hope for is we're still in the tie and hope a raucous Holte End can suck a few goals in during the second leg. Unless the Jon Kodjia of his first season for us in the Championship turns up I'm not too confident about our ability to score goals. 

Don't play a high line ffs!!!!!!

Its conceding that concerns me.

12 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The way I see it all the pressure is on them to beat us. If (and given the season so far a massive if) we can keep it tight in the first leg they could get nervous. They are good but not Liverpool (full strength not kids) good.  I just want us to give it a good go and not get any more injuries.  I don't want to hear any more defeatist talk. It's the League Cup and our pedigree in this competition is second to none. 15 semi finals, 8 finals and 5 times winners. We have reached a semi final at least once every decade since it started.  Its our cup, we have just let the other teams borrow it for  a bit. Up the Villa.

Overall , I think you are right, we do need to avoid being so defeatist.

However, on the other hand, we are not a team renowned for making it difficult for the opposition....not a good trait to have.

I think its fanciful, to think, we can just out score teams to get results....we need to work on game management more moving forward....that needs to be tempered by getting better players in to do it.