Tyreik Wright

OutByEaster?

Not sure what the fix is for this phenomenon. Should IG and Twitter users be forced to publicly ID themselves to gain use of the sites? Should users be able to have accounts that don't allow commenting? Is that even possible?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Not sure what the fix is for this phenomenon. Should IG and Twitter users be forced to publicly ID themselves to gain use of the sites? Should users be able to have accounts that don't allow commenting? Is that even possible?

Yes, the latter is possible.

I think the answer on identities is probably not the answer, it'd stop things like twitter being used to overthrow dictators, was central in the Arab Spring. But I don't know what the answer is in order to quickly identify individuals, most people leave more than enough bread crumbs to be identified by.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 11:02, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've started to realise that alot of these little cretins are just reaching for their 15 mins of fame. This is a hot topic now, so they know it's the way to get the attention and adrenaline rush they crave. Might be time to stop the kneeling as some other players have suggested and stand tall, maybe do a Black Panther fist to piss them off even more.

I commented on Facebook that it wouldn't surprise me if some of these clowns weren't even actually racist, just adrenaline junkies getting their fix. Winding people up on social media is a new contactless, anonymous sport.

For me, personally, this sort of thing doesn't get to me. However, I worry for the mental health of some of these young, fragile kids of colour .

The agenda might be having the opposite effect, as you know " rebelling " is so " cool " for kids 🤦🏾‍♂️

I think you make a good point JV....The danger is a very worthwhile campaign is being high jacked by people with their own agenda.

There are some good comments on You tube from Denzel Washington and he touches on the subject from a slightly different angle....worth a listen.

The subject is so complex and therefore easily manipulated by those who have their own agenda.

The thing we must all remember is, not all white folk think the same and not all black folk think the same.....but most bullies think the same.

• Like 1

the fact that the messages are not intercepted in some way has to be an issue first and foremost. even on here, certain words are altered to something less offensive. it would be a piece of piss to stop messages containing certain words not finding their way to their intended recipient. i saw tyreik's insta where he showed the messages. all the usual slurs were there. how have those messages not been intercepted?

FWIW villa had the most arrests for online hate crimes last year (im sure its the 1st year they've included it in the figures)

the players take a knee every week but have the club done any kind of initiative or campaign to tackle it? genuine question because i havent seen anything from them, now would be the time because its a problem of ours too

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the fact that the messages are not intercepted in some way has to be an issue first and foremost. even on here, certain words are altered to something less offensive. it would be a piece of piss to stop messages containing certain words not finding their way to their intended recipient. i saw tyreik's insta where he showed the messages. all the usual slurs were there. how have those messages not been intercepted?

Yeah, the social media platforms should definitely be doing more. I'm not sold on the idea of having to give them our driving licence or passport numbers, but I once called Piers Morgan the C word on twitter and within seconds was given a 24 hour ban.

I'm not saying that's the correct punishment for people sending racist abuse, it just shows more can be done.

Having said all that, part of me thinks it's a bit like receiving abuse through the mail and having a go at the Royal Mail. It's not really getting to the root of he problem.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah, the social media platforms should definitely be doing more. I'm not sold on the idea of having to give them our driving licence or passport numbers, but I once called Piers Morgan the C word on twitter and within seconds was given a 24 hour ban.

I'm not saying that's the correct punishment for people sending racist abuse, it just shows more can be done.

Having said all that, part of me thinks it's a bit like receiving abuse through the mail and having a go at the Royal Mail. It's not really getting to the root of he problem.

driving licenses and passports wouldn't work. online bookmakers do it to verify age, but social media platforms would never adopt it because their active members would be cut by...what, 3 quarters? probably more?

the fact is there will always be racists. you will never get to the root of the problem. it's like saying too many car accidents on a particular road due to people driving too quickly, so lets get to the root of the problem as to why people are driving so fast. it's just always going to happen. so you need controls in place to mitigate that, i.e a speed bump in the road to slow people down. there doesn't seem to be a similar control in place on social media. it's just all reactive...waiting until someone has committed an offence before taking action. in your example, your tweet shouldn't have been allowed to be sent (piers morgan is one though, i'm not disputing that at all!) just like messages that contain the N word. those messages never should have found their way to tyreik

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TRO said:

The subject is so complex and therefore easily manipulated by those who have their own agenda.

Like most things in today's society mate, ranging from politics through to just about everything else.

It's why I always try to see both ( All ) sides of an argument/opinion.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

driving licenses and passports wouldn't work. online bookmakers do it to verify age, but social media platforms would never adopt it because their active members would be cut by...what, 3 quarters? probably more?

thats before you look at the infrastructure and cost of what they would need to protect that kind of data

i would guess thats the main reason, social media companies want as little responsibility when it comes to handling personal data and therefore data protection as they can get away with, they dont want your driving license on file

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Like most things in today's society mate, ranging from politics through to just about everything else.

It's why I always try to see both ( All ) sides of an argument/opinion.

so do I......Its called Intelligence.

I think we maybe the only species that does consider others.....but if some people have a low level of it, you cannot legislate, for every one of them....we just have to try and tolerate them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, useless said:

Starts tonight for Walsall, Dimitri Sea who he will have played with for our U23s, is on the bench for Barrow.

Sea always had a great name I thought. For some reason I always thought he was French, but I assume he's English since he plays in the lower leagues still

Sea is apparently French, according to transfermarkt we signed him from AC Boulogne-Billancourt Youth. Barrow are his first club since leaving us in the summer, I guess there was always a good chance he could end up at another English team, as presumably it would have been mostly scouts from English teams watching him for our academy sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Whole game is here, he comes of the bench on 68 minutes. I presume he's claiming a touch on the first one after about 76 minutes.

The winner is bizarre, a backpass that sneaked in while the keeper was getting a drink.

• Like 1

Â