Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Would rest mings for this.

I get the impression he may have come back at Barnsley slightly before he was 100% ready to help with the fight.

I also assume Engels is still ill?

On that basis would go:

Kalinic

Konsa   Chester   Hause

Elmo   Lansbury   Hourihane   Taylor

El Ghazi   Jota

Kodjia

I expect you won’t be far off, although I would play Nyland as he needs games. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Would rest mings for this.

I get the impression he may have come back at Barnsley slightly before he was 100% ready to help with the fight.

I also assume Engels is still ill?

On that basis would go:

Kalinic

Konsa   Chester   Hause

Elmo   Lansbury   Hourihane   Taylor

El Ghazi   Jota

Kodjia

I'd rest Mings, use Davis then stick with the same side from last match. 

No point giving up. You play football to win trophies.  

What signals would it send to the squad if you basically deny them the chance to win a final. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I was just watching an old clip of the, league Cup replay against Everton in 1977. The drive of that team, even in extra time is something to behold. If you want to see how good Dennis Mortimer really was go to YouTube and watch. Trust me, you'll thank me. 

That's the spirit that all Villa players should attempt to produce, whatever the occasion. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Not really arsed about this one. dont like losing but cant see us winning this cup

So as above I think give the youngsters and outer fringe players a match 

people said that about the league cup at the start not that i think we will win the league cup but you get my point lol! 

21 hours ago, Nigel said:

Should have held this move up till after this game IMO!

Just as a note if he had played in this I don’t think he could have gone on loan as you can’t play for three teams in a season (I may be out of date though!).

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Just as a note if he had played in this I don’t think he could have gone on loan as you can’t play for three teams in a season (I may be out of date though!).

Of course yes

Of the current U23 team, the ones that I'd say are most ready are Walker, Clarke and Suliman - of those only Clarke plays a position we're short at. I can't see either Archer or Vassilev coming in at this stage - there's maybe an outside chance we might give young Tyreik Wright a look at it. 

• Like 3

Changed my mind it's the FA cup play a strong team. Nyland definitely needs to start get some more game time under his belt be nice to have the usual defense in front of him so they get used to each other, I think Fulham will play a full strength team, will be an interesting game.

28 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Changed my mind it's the FA cup play a strong team. Nyland definitely needs to start get some more game time under his belt be nice to have the usual defense in front of him so they get used to each other, I think Fulham will play a full strength team, will be an interesting game.

Looks like DS isn't looking to take it so seriously, looking towards the u23's for the weekend apparently. 

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Looks like DS isn't looking to take it so seriously, looking towards the u23's for the weekend apparently. 

Where has he said that zab6359?

Edit: Just seen that Birmingham Live has slipped in a slightly vague note to that effect at the bottom of their recent article.

It's interesting - I guess the choices open to him are Archer, Wright, Sea, Vassilev, Tait and maybe Ramsey. 

We go back to Craven Cottage on Saturday and it would be nice to win this one, to avenge that play-off defeat against them, that remains a very painful memory. If we are to do that, for me it needs to be without both Jack and Tyrone. Nyland needs the game, to give him confidence and for us to gain some renewed confidence in his ability to do it for us, in the remaining and decisive half of this season.  I have always had the greatest respect for this competition and for the one that we have reached the semi-final of, but let's face it, what matters most now is retaining our place in the PL. To increase our prospects of achieving our primary aim of safety this season, I would look at resting our remaining available big hitters in all three of the cup games that are to come. 

Our last meeting against our hosts was two years ago, since then we have been promoted the following year and they have returned from whence they came, after just one season. It has been ten years since we last won at Craven Cottage. Overall, we have won 23 and have drawn 22, of the 69 league & cup meetings that there have been between the two clubs. We have met them twice in the FA Cup, winning 5-0 in 1905 and losing 0-2 in 1999. Both of those games were played at Villa Park. We last won this cup way back in 1957 and it would be so nice for Peter MacParland to be there to see us lift the trophy again. How about whatever team is selected for this one, gets us through to the next round and we can then look at our priorities again later in the season, when hopefully our league position looks healthier? Win it for us then, you Villa boys! :hooray: