Our crossing

KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i'd rename the thread 'jacks crossing'

there are many that can deliver a good ball. conor, luiz, elmo, targett. but jack seems to have the sole corner taking responsibility, despite being **** atrocious at it. i love the guy, but there's just some things he cannot do, and crossing is one

It's madness to me.  His corners are woeful most of the time yet he provides a threat in and around the box.  Taking rubbish corners also takes his threat away in the box. 

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We're pretty rubbish at everything, unless we improve soon, there's going to come a time where we have to admit that either our players aren't very good and that we've pretty much wasted £140m in the last transfer window, or there's serisomething wrong with the coaching.

Would pretty much agree.  Attacking and defending dead ball situations has been a problem for sure.  

Corners - terrible at both ends since Terry stopped playing. The silly floaty ones we keep using and come to nothing.  Why aren’t we whipping them in with pace?

Penalties - unconvincing since Abraham, Benteke and Barry. Wouldn’t even know who our best taker is?

Free kicks - only Hourihane can take an occasional good one.

I remember Graham Taylor used to say that you ignore dead ball situations at your peril. 

Grealish should be no where near the corner flag for corners, get him lurking on the edge of the box ready to smash any loose balls in. You’d think Targett or Hourihane would be capable of whipping a good ball in. Saying that, so should most of the forwards.

• Like 1

Only Burnley and one other team I think it's Newcastle, have played fewer passes than us, I thought Smith was meant to be a manager that likes his players to keep possession and pass the football. We seem to be not very good at keeping the ball ourselves whilst at the same time not very good at stopping the opposition from having the ball, which I guess is partly why we're not very good against ten men. One area where we're not too bad is scoring goals, I think we're seventh best in the league, which considering we're newly promoted and our striker is having a quiet spell, is actually pretty good, but that's being undone by the amount that we concede.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I'd probably go for an issue with the wingers.

Mings, Engels and Hause are all strong in the air. I think Mings and Hause are high up in the clearances and blocks charts too.

Our wingers have been poor going forward but also kill our full backs with a lack of support.

That should have be resolved with work on the training ground by now...or at least a change in formation to counteract it.

I was focusing more on crosses during open play, not often the CB's are in the attacking box for any team. But the wingers are absolutely an issue.

1 hour ago, sne said:

I was focusing more on crosses during open play, not often the CB's are in the attacking box for any team. But the wingers are absolutely an issue.

My comment about our CBs was in reference to how poor we are at defending crosses as well. We seem to get done by a cross in every match

I think the wings is a problem area for us in attack and defence in terms of crosses. 

All too easy for the opposition.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It’s got to the point where I don’t actually like getting corners.  We seem to concede a breakaway attack almost every time

Yeah, we seem to be hit on the break every other corner while we ourselves never leave a man towards the halfway line on defensive corners to give us an opportunity to break.

Bit annoying.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, we seem to be hit on the break every other corner while we ourselves never leave a man towards the halfway line on defensive corners to give us an opportunity to break.

Bit annoying.

The lack of a runner on the half way winds me up so much.

The amount of times that Heaton looks for a quick break and can't is really affects us.

It means the opposition can chuck everyone into our box knowing that they're under no threat of a break.

It also means if we clear the first ball it comes straight back at us with no regrouping time.

I really do wonder why that is our set up when it seems so detrimental.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It’s got to the point where I don’t actually like getting corners.  We seem to concede a breakaway attack almost every time

hah yea, whenever I am following the Sky Sports App commentary, its always; 

35: Villa win a Corner

36: Chance! Watford hit the bar. 

Or 

36: Freekick against Aston Villa. 

Just looking back now from Saturdays game. This is one scenario exactly which made me chuckle: 

46: And now Villa get us started again at Vicarage Road

48: Close! Watford have picked up where they left off, Aston Villa haven't shot out of the traps. 

Granted that is a couple of minutes almost, but, still... always happens!!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I just find it really weird how a footballer(s) that's paid a normal annual salary weekly, can't strike a bloody ball. 

I am not at the level these guys are at anything in football, but I swear I can strike the ball better. It's all just akward. 

Trust me on this - you can't.

9 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

You will have to translate for me.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We do **** all from corners then instigate a counter? 

We do **** all from corners, throw-ins and crosses. Maybe should've hyphenated. When was the last throw-in we had that led to something, even? That time Sidwell played ballboy and Milner scored against... Hull maybe?

• Thanks 1

Not winning headers has been a theme throughout the season. I'm sure if we had a good header of the ball up front the crosses would be higher and in other areas than they have been so far.

But most of our players struggle to jump correctly or even look like they know how to win a header. 1st half v Burnley they all went for it and that's the clearest half on total villa we have seen this season.

Â