Our crossing

KenjiOgiwara

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Matt Targett is an excellent crosser of the ball, for example, and a few of his crosses this season should have resulted in goals, but didn't.

Yeah I am not sure about that. Quite vividly remember a lot of his attempts not beating the first defender. 

Doesn't really matter of we fill the squad with giants or work at set pieces when you can't even get the cross past the first defender. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Confused 1

I just find it really weird how a footballer(s) that's paid a normal annual salary weekly, can't strike a bloody ball. 

I am not at the level these guys are at anything in football, but I swear I can strike the ball better. It's all just akward. 

i'd rename the thread 'jacks crossing'

there are many that can deliver a good ball. conor, luiz, elmo, targett. but jack seems to have the sole corner taking responsibility, despite being **** atrocious at it. i love the guy, but there's just some things he cannot do, and crossing is one

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'd rename the thread 'jacks crossing'

there are many that can deliver a good ball. conor, luiz, elmo, targett. but jack seems to have the sole corner taking responsibility, despite being **** atrocious at it. i love the guy, but there's just some things he cannot do, and crossing is one

It's just as much watching Elmo, Guilbert, Targett, Taylor,  El Ghazi, Hourihane (pretty much everyone) not being able to move it past the first defender. 

Jack has a tendency to hoof it high towards to goalie, which is shit as well, but at least it's better than striking it into the first bloody defender. 

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's just as much watching Elmo, Guilbert, Targett, Taylor,  El Ghazi, Hourihane (pretty much everyone) not being able to move it past the first defender. 

Jack has a tendency to hoof it high towards to goalie, which is shit as well, but at least it's better than striking it into the first bloody defender. 

most of the the players you mentioned have, at some stage this season, assisted a goal via a cross (obviously not taylor...not sure about el ghazi). jack just floats it in and it's so easy to defend against

10 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Terrible crosses, terrible throw ins, not leaving someone on the halfway line for opposition corners - all result in the ball coming straight back at us. Very annoying.

WDFAFCTIAC

Edited by the_eristic
Double post but it bears repeating.

Why bother cross the ball? There's never anyone in the box. If there is, he (Wesley) is standing put flat-footed and ball-watching. We shouldn't cross the ball at all.

Chester used to score from crosses and corners every now and then, because he had the instincts. Our current CBs, Mings included, might as well stay at half way line.

• Like 2

Our crossing has been poor recently but haven't we scored a lot of our goals from crosses this year?

They're not all headers and are put along the floor sometimes but I can think of:

McGinn v Arsenal

Wes v Norwich

Trez v Wolves, Liverpool & Chelsea

El Ghazi v Newcastle

Mings v Man U

Grealish v Brighton

McGinn and El Ghazi v Burnley

Personally, I can tell when Villa have played well this season from whether we play triangles on the corner of the opposition box. Normally this is best between Grealish, Hourihane, and Targett. The balls into he box are a lot more precise when this happens.

It seems during our poor run we don't do that anymore and rarely work the ball up the pitch...we just punt it instead or rush a cross in and give the ball back.

A bigger problem is how many we concede from crosses. We don't stop the ball in well enough.

• Like 1

We're pretty rubbish at everything, unless we improve soon, there's going to come a time where we have to admit that either our players aren't very good and that we've pretty much wasted £140m in the last transfer window, or there's serisomething wrong with the coaching.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Our crossing has been poor recently but haven't we scored a lot of our goals from crosses this year?

They're not all headers and are put along the floor sometimes but I can think of:

McGinn v Arsenal

Wes v Norwich

Trez v Wolves, Liverpool & Chelsea

El Ghazi v Newcastle

Mings v Man U

Grealish v Brighton

McGinn and El Ghazi v Burnley

Personally, I can tell when Villa have played well this season from whether we play triangles on the corner of the opposition box. Normally this is best between Grealish, Hourihane, and Targett. The balls into he box are a lot more precise when this happens.

It seems during our poor run we don't do that anymore and rarely work the ball up the pitch...we just punt it instead or rush a cross in and give the ball back.

A bigger problem is how many we concede from crosses. We don't stop the ball in well enough.

It's the same problem. We're either very poor headers, pushed around, or unable to position and anticipate correctly. Or, of course, poorly set up. Probably a combination of all these.

9 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Why bother cross the ball? There's never anyone in the box. If there is, he (Wesley) is standing put flat-footed and ball-watching. We shouldn't cross the ball at all.

Chester used to score from crosses and corners every now and then, because he had the instincts. Our current CBs, Mings included, might as well stay at half way line.

It is a bit strange that we continue to be among the teams who crosses the ball most of all teams in the league (3rd) but still have very few players in the box to be on the end of those crosses.

Not even our center forward is there most times. The odds of these crosses finding someone are slim to non. We really must adjust the way we play or find players who are suited to the way we want to play.

Bit worrying that Smith has not seen this and tweaked it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We're pretty rubbish at everything, unless we improve soon, there's going to come a time where we have to admit that either our players aren't very good and that we've pretty much wasted £140m in the last transfer window, or there's serisomething wrong with the coaching.

People keep saying 140, yet BBC and everything I can find say it was 127. 

Guess £140 million sounds worse though, so lets use that.  

I'd probably go for an issue with the wingers.

Mings, Engels and Hause are all strong in the air. I think Mings and Hause are high up in the clearances and blocks charts too.

Our wingers have been poor going forward but also kill our full backs with a lack of support.

That should have be resolved with work on the training ground by now...or at least a change in formation to counteract it.

Purslow said £140m when he spoke with the fans whilst we were in the US in the summer. Doesn't matter how much anyway, the point is at some point if we don't improve then either coaching or the recruitment will have to be questioned.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Â