Things of the decade

dAVe80

Favourite album? - maybe Crystal Fighters - Star of Love, or Young The Giant - self titled.

Favourite song? - I'll come back to this. 

Favourite film? - I can't pick out anything which stands out 

Favourite TV show? - Stranger Things 

Favourite actor/actress? - Jodie Whitaker cos I fancy her, or  Chris Pratt 

Favourite gig attended? - I've done more festivals. So, Stevie Wonder at Bestival 😍

Biggest news story? - Villalad21 dumped by Dean Smith after an affair 

Icon of the decade? - Mantis

Villain of the decade? - Stephen Crackhead Lennon

• Like 1

Favourite album? - Yeezus

Favourite song? - Same Drugs by Chance the Rapper, for personal reasons

Favourite film? - Tough one. Maybe something like Wolf of Wall Street or Arrival

Favourite TV show? - Breaking Bad

Favourite actor/actress? - Stephen Graham

Favourite gig attended? - Don't really do gigs so I'll say Flight of the Conchords (first time around)

Biggest news story? - Brexit

Icon of the decade? - James Corden

Villain of the decade? - Trump

One of these answers is a deliberate troll

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

you're right, MBDTF came out in 2010. Should probably be that instead

better but that's still probably an indication of what the last decade was musically, MBDTF was a solid album IMO but generally regarded as in the top 5 of the decade which I find mad, even Kendrick lamar who I personally prefer, good albums but when they're thrown in to "best of the decade" conversation I question the decade rather than the album, it was a really poor one

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Favourite actor/actress? - Stephen Graham

I hate him. Completely irrationally, as I can see he's a good actor. But, y'know, the scouse thing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

better but that's still probably an indication of what the last decade was musically, MBDTF was a solid album IMO but generally regarded as in the top 5 of the decade which I find mad, even Kendrick lamar who I personally prefer, good albums but when they're thrown in to "best of the decade" conversation I question the decade rather than the album, it was a really poor one

To be fair the question was "favourite", not best.

On 30/12/2019 at 19:47, dAVe80 said:

As we enter the 2020s, let's have your best things of the 2010s?

Favourite album?

Favourite song?

Favourite film?

Favourite TV show?

Favourite actor/actress?

Favourite gig attended?

Biggest news story?

Icon of the decade? 

Villain of the decade? 

Wild card (tell us something personal you've loved, achieved, had happen to you etc in the 2010s?)

As Mike and others have said "too difficult", but what the heck? it's a good thread idea, Dave.

Favourite Album...Hmmm. I'll go with 3, High Violet by the National, Jen Cloher, Jen Cloher and Let England Shake PJ Harvey, oh and one I heard on the radio, forgot about and then you mentioned (I think) which made me revisit it when you mentioned it - A Sea of Split Peas, Courtney Barnett. Thanks.

Favourite Song. There's 283 marked as such in my iTunes from the decade, but I'll go with Empty Room by Arcade Fire, Just Make it Stop - Low, Slippershell - Kristen Hirsch, Kim's Caravan Courtney Barnett and Analysis Paralysis Jen Cloher, because they all stop me dead in my tracks whenever I hear them. Ride by Amanda Palmer, too. Oh and Now by Big Thief for a recent one (as it's on the stereo, er, now).

Film - Maybe the Shape of Water from memory. The Dead Don't Die for a recent one.

Telly - The Bridge. Perfect telly for me, that. that Fishing thing with Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse is excellent, too.

Actoring - Dunno really. Haven't really got any faves. Bill Murray, Keanu Reeves, Tom Hanks - the nice people, really.

Gig. Blimey. I can't really remember who I've seen. Too many. Teleman, Agnes Obel, Courtney Barnett, Lovely Eggs at Gorilla all ace....not been to a bad gig since the Fall did about 20 minutes and then sloped off, but that was probably more than 10 years ago. @bickster will put me right in both cases. Teleman were both times superb, so maybe them. "Not In Control" at Gorilla was mind glowingly good.

News story. the B word, I suppose.

Icon. I'll pick Greta Thunberg. She's completely right and has started something that needed starting a long time ago.

Villain - Trump, the massive orange shitgibbon.

Wild Card. Being in the desert in the outback doing aircraft Trials and the rest I can't say, but watching our plane taxi towards me. Science fiction come to life. Amazing to be there, the technology, the place, the comradeship, the whole thing. Awesome and out of this world. Lucky, lucky me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Let England Shake PJ Harvey

Oh, that reminds me. I think it was you I was asking about P. J. Harvey a few months ago. 

I checked her music out on Spotify. Didn't like. 

On 30/12/2019 at 19:47, dAVe80 said:

As we enter the 2020s, let's have your best things of the 2010s?

Favourite album? To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar 

Favourite song? Shake it Off - Taylor Swift, or This is America - Childish Gambino 

Favourite film? Joker 

Favourite TV show? First series of True Detective, ot Boardwalk Empire

Favourite actor/actress? Steven Graham 

Favourite gig attended? This is the hardest one, but I'm gonna go for Neil Young in Leeds. 

Biggest news story? Have to say the B word. 

Icon of the decade? Greta Thunberg 

Villain of the decade? Wotsit Hitler

Wild card (tell us something personal you've loved, achieved, had happen to you etc in the 2010s?) I bought my first house, which was a pretty big deal. Also on the back of the B word, the decade saw me become a lot more politically active, and become more involved in my trade union. 

I'm impressed/amused/bewildered to see Neil Young in the same company as Taylor Swift, Childish Gambino and Kendrick Lamar. 

EDIT: It did at least serve to remind me what my own Gig of the Decade was, though (same one). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

He’s lucky to be in that sort of company. 

Personally, I have no time for the man behind the Pono triangular MP3 player.

He’s taken the toblerone and a Walkman and managed to extract the worst possible hybrid.

Absolute fool.

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm impressed/amused/bewildered to see Neil Young in the same company as Taylor Swift, Childish Gambino and Kendrick Lamar. 

EDIT: It did at least serve to remind me what my own Gig of the Decade was, though (same one). 

I though the Neil Young choice would prompt you. I recall having a discussion about us going to the same Shakey gig.

As for the mixed bag of artists, as much as I know you don't like certain genres of more modern music, I at least know you have an appreciation for song craft (as in said Taylor Swift song. Which incidentally is probably the only song of hers I've ever given the time of day to, cus it's just a brilliant piece of pop music), and the artistry of Kendric, and Gambino. I thing the This is America song and video is the best piece of art of the decade, full stop.

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I though the Neil Young choice would prompt you. I recall having a discussion about us going to the same Shakey gig.

As for the mixed bag of artists, as much as I know you don't like certain genres of more modern music, I at least know you have an appreciation for song craft (as in said Taylor Swift song. Which incidentally is probably the only song of hers I've ever given the time of day to, cus it's just a brilliant piece of pop music), and the artistry of Kendric, and Gambino. I thing the This is America song and video is the best piece of art of the decade, full stop.

I can't like it due to the underhand compliment of Taylor Swifts music. Be out and proud, she is a modern great. 

swift high quality GIF

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I can't like it due to the underhand compliment of Taylor Swifts music. Be out and proud, she is a modern great. 

swift high quality GIF

I imagine there are probably other songs of hers I'd like, but of the ones I've heard, non have grabbed me like Shake it off did. I've always got time for a brilliant piece of pop music though. 

• Like 3

Nah. And hating on Neil Young because of Pono is like dismissing Einstein because of his taste in fluffy slippers. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Favourite album - I don’t buy a lot of music but I’ll opt for The Blue Hour - Suede

Favourite song? All I’m saying -James
I lost a friend to cancer a few years back and he used to love James , this song is about death and not saying goodbye so always reminds me of him 

Favourite film? Tough one but i’ll give it to “Eye in the sky “ , just edges it from Nightcrawler and 12 years a slave 

Favourite TV show? Ballers ... not for everyone but I found the show highly entertaining and addictive 

Favourite actor/actress? Ana de Armas , no idea on her acting ability but her performance in knock knock will always be memorable 

Favourite gig attended? Mad cool festival in Madrid ... Peal  Jam , Depeche Mode , Queens of the Stone Age , kasabian , MGMT , wolf alice , Jet , nine inch nails and many more all under one starry field 

If festivals don’t count then The Cure at the O2

Biggest news story? The Arab spring ...  ever since a Tunisian street vendor set himself on fire to protest against police seizing his vegetable stand, millions have been killed or displaced and terror groups risen ... nothing has shaped the decade more 

Icon of the decade?  Tempting as it is to go for grumpy cat , I’ll opt for Malala Yousafzai , a far better icon than a  kid sailing the world in a yacht 

Villain of the decade? Not strictly limited to them but  it would have to be a Kardashian , I don’t even know why they are a thing , they epitomise everything that is wrong with the world , them and the thousands of brain dead wannabes they’ve inspired   

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â