Things of the decade

dAVe80

On 31/12/2019 at 23:33, rjw63 said:

Wild card.

My oldest son has been turned into an eco warrior/vegan by his girlfriend.

He used to be full of fun, she has sucked all the life out of him and made him Mr Serious.

They came on holiday with us to Barbados. She kept stopping him from drinking, and insisted on going to bed at 9.30pm. The rest of the family now can't stand her.

What's happened to him makes me very sad.

Not to sound insensitive but I can't help myself..

Having a son that is trying to help a potentially serious issue of life and death by making some changes to his life is far from something to be sad about, you've done well.

It takes a serious man who makes the decision for himself what is important to him and what kind of man he wants to become, and to have the leadership to do it despite all else.

There are pitfalls everywhere in life, poverty is abundant in many ways and means, but especially in character. I'll spare you my bullshit, but I just wonder if you really have to be sad.

It's great that you take a lighthearted approach to life and have a humour about you that can relieve the tension when things do get TOO serious.

And quite frankly I wish I had your knack for humour because this is a moment, I think, where you are being slightly dramatic and serious, unnecessarily.

But I'm no one to tell you how to feel, I don't know you or your son or his missus. I just wonder if you can't still enjoy him for the great success that he is despite your differences.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

My aims are to earn more money so I can buy a house I can call home.  I've been in my current house for 3 years now and whilst I like where it is (overlooking greenbelt), I've never fully loved the house and have felt quite unsettled there lately, for some reason.  Houses are expensive though.. 

I'm feeling the same with my property. Its never felt like a home to me. It was purchased with my practical head on - location and amenities trumped actual love of the property itself. 

Over the last 12 months found myself looking at more 'homely' looking places - exposed beams, thatched roof, listed properties, etc. Majority in the countryside of Worcestershire and Herefordshire. Even though it would be more expensive and an absolute ball ache to get to work. 

• Like 1

Favourite album?

M83 - Hurry Up We’re Dreaming

Favourite song?

Haelos - Kyoto

Favourite film?

Inception

Favourite TV show?

Parks and Recreation 

Favourite actor/actress?

Alan Rickman

Favourite gig attended?

Hans Zimmer - London Apollo

Biggest news story?

Brexit

Icon of the decade?

Barack Obama 

Villain of the decade?

Donald Trump

Wildcard

Becoming the first captain of a team to get promoted back to back to the highest possible division. Scored 1,500 runs across both and averaged >45, including the teams equivalent of the World Cup beating a rival side who needed just 24 to win with 8 wickets left and we took 8-19 to win it and get promoted. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Favourite album?

M83 - Hurry Up We’re Dreaming

Favourite song?

Haelos - Kyoto

Favourite film?

Inception

Favourite TV show?

Parks and Recreation 

Favourite actor/actress?

Alan Rickman

Favourite gig attended?

Hans Zimmer - London Apollo

Biggest news story?

Brexit

Icon of the decade?

Barack Obama 

Villain of the decade?

Donald Trump

Wildcard

Becoming the first captain of a team to get promoted back to back to the highest possible division. Scored 1,500 runs across both and averaged >45, including the teams equivalent of the World Cup beating a rival side who needed just 24 to win with 8 wickets left and we took 8-19 to win it and get promoted. 

Parks and Rec?

@dAVe80 can we go to VAR. Started in 2009. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Something for the things I don't get thread - a sole shared bank account.

I get a lot of people have a shared account and pay a set amount in from their main accounts for the mortgage/bills etc. That makes sense, but a shared account where you don't have another account? No way! Absolutely no way in hell would I ever sign up for that. 

Yep same.

We have a shared one for bills and stuff because it's easier. Both put a set amount in at the start of the month and all the rent and bills comes out of there.

But I'd never have a completely shared account.

I would have just a joint account, but that's possibly down to how long me and my wife have been together. We have seperate accounts and the joint account and it will remain like that as I can't be arsed to change it. 

Ten of the most critically acclaimed films of the last decade that I haven't seen...

1) Inherent Vice

2) Moonlight

3) Under the Skin

4) Inside Llewyn Davis

5) Mad Max: Fury Road

6)Lady Bird

7) The Wolf of Wall Street 

😎 Get Out

9) The Grand Budapest Hotel

10) Inception

Number eight just turned into a that emoji face thing by itself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, useless said:

Ten of the most critically acclaimed films of the last decade that I haven't seen...

1) Inherent Vice

2) Moonlight

3) Under the Skin

4) Inside Llewyn Davis

6)Lady Bird

😎 Get Out

10) Inception

I've seen four of them. 

Inside Llewyn Davis - good. 

Mad Max - awful, gave up after half an hour. 

Grand Budapest - quirky, brilliant. Loved it. 

Inception - fell asleep. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

1) Inherent Vice

2) Moonlight

3) Under the Skin

4) Inside Llewyn Davis

6)Lady Bird

😎 Get Out

10) Inception

1) Haven't seen

2) Incredible

3) Creepy but great

4) Haven't seen

5) Overrated

6) Never heard of it

7) Amazing

😎 Excellent

9) Dull as dishwater

10) Excellent on first viewing but deteriorates on every watch

You're welcome

Inception was ruined for me by having a textual criticism module during my masters which required me to analyse the damn film over and over. Watched it or parts of it about 10 times in the space of a few weeks. Had fun at the cinema with it first time though. Under the Skin - very marmite I imagine, personally I loved it, the score is haunting. Inside Llewyn Davis, was ok, worth it mainly for Oscar Isaac, Lady Bird is terrific, Wolf of Wall Street likewise, Get Out was gripping, and The Grand Budapest Hotel was one of my favourite films of that year. Not seen the others, Moonlight is one I feel I really need to see, less fussed about Inherent Vice or Mad Max. 

my whole theory on inception - 

Spoiler

its not his spinney thing, its his wife's, hence the whole film is actually a dream of his

@Stevo985 agree that some bits don't make sense, that's part of why I think my spoiler might be correct, the most obvious bit was when he was being chased and went between the 2 walls that seemed to get smaller and squeeze him, that's a real thing that im sure we've all experienced

Two things strike me as odd from the above: 

1. Some of you are bothered about whether a film like Inception 'makes sense'. 

2. Watching a film more than once. 

With a very few exceptions for really old (usually pre-1960s b&w) classics, I never want to watch any film that I've already seen. 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my whole theory on inception - 

Hide contents

its not his spinney thing, its his wife's, hence the whole film is actually a dream of his

@Stevo985 agree that some bits don't make sense, that's part of why I think my spoiler might be correct, the most obvious bit was when he was being chased and went between the 2 walls that seemed to get smaller and squeeze him, that's a real thing that im sure we've all experienced

The biggest plot hole for me was, and I'm doing this from memory so forgive me if it's not explained very well.

Spoiler

Every time you're asleep, to wake up you have to be "kicked" from the level above. So say reality is level 1, and someone asleep in Level 1 is in Level 2, and someone asleep in Level 2 is in Level 3.

They make it very clear that someone in Level 2 has to be "kicked" in Level 1 to be woken up. And someone in level 3 would have to be kicked in level 2 to wake up. It's hammered into you over and over again. And if you die in a dream you die. I think. Or maybe you go into Limbo or something.

Then near the end when they're down a few levels, it's just Di Caprio and Page's characters. Let's say they're at level 6. 

But to wake themselves up, they throw themselves off a cliff in level 6, basically killing themselves. But that goes against everything you've spent the rest of the film hammering into us doesn't it?

Maybe it seems minor now but it annoyed me

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Two things strike me as odd from the above: 

1. Some of you are bothered about whether a film like Inception 'makes sense'. 

2. Watching a film more than once. 

With a very few exceptions for really old (usually pre-1960s b&w) classics, I never want to watch any film that I've already seen. 

In regards to point 1, it's not "makes sense" in a kind of oh they can go into each other's dreams, that doesn't make sense kind of way. Obviously within films you have to suspend your disbelief.

It's "makes sense" in terms of the plot doesn't make sense, or they've contradicted their own boundaries that they've established.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In regards to point 1, it's not "makes sense" in a kind of oh they can go into each other's dreams, that doesn't make sense kind of way. Obviously within films you have to suspend your disbelief.

It's "makes sense" in terms of the plot doesn't make sense, or they've contradicted their own boundaries that they've established.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Internal (in)consistency. But I tend to pick up on that sort of thing much more in 'realistic' films. Once we're into sf/fantasy/weird territory, I kind of don't care, and just let it flow past me. 

• Like 1

Â