VillaTalk Deadpool 2020

Xela

32 minutes ago, veloman said:

Leslie West, good rock guitarist with 'Mountain' died aged 75. Mississippi Queen - great rock number IMO.

Sad, but not surprising. Obese, diabetic (had a leg amputated in 2011), usual rockstar history of drug abuse. Heartattack waiting to happen. Saw him play with Jack Bruce in 1973, really good guitarist. 

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Was that at B/ham Town Hall by any chance - Tony Williams on drums ?

Nope. Leeds University - West, Bruce and Laing. A set drawn from their own album plus loads of Mountain and Cream numbers. By some distance the loudest bass I've ever heard. 

Edited by mjmooney

12 minutes ago, veloman said:

Interesting. One could start a whole new thread on loudest bass ! Never thought Bruce was that loud with either Graham Bond or Cream so my vote would go to either Lemmy or Bootsy Collins ! 

I think there were a lot of variables contributing to loudness, especially in those days - the acoustics of the room, particularly. The Who always had a reputation for being loud, but I saw them four times (including very close up), and they wouldn't get in my top ten loudest gigs. Loudest band (slightly surprisingly) were Cheap Trick, closely followed by a lower-league punk band called Bethnal. But the Jack Bruce bass thing was one of those that travelled through the floor and vibrated your skeleton. Almost disturbing. 

Edited by mjmooney

Jim McLean, 83, ex Dundee United manager and legend. Managed them to their only league title and a UEFA cup final and a European Cup semi. Part of the 'new firm' along wth Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen. 

I always remember this more than anything

• Haha 2

Â