VillaTalk Deadpool 2020

Xela

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The jazz guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli has died after contracting Coronavirus. He was 94. 

Here he is. 

Very sad.   I saw him play with Stephane Grapelli around 25 years ago and they swung hard.

9 hours ago, sne said:

Now he had soul.

I remember when this song came out.  I loved it and it went near the top of the charts in the US.   I kept meaning to buy the single and didn't get around to it.   When it finally dropped off the charts I thought that I had missed the opportunity to buy the record or ever hear the song again since it would now only be played on oldies shows.  Buying a whole album was an alien concept to me at the time and cost more than I could afford.  The radio station we listened to was top 40 only and the local places to buy records were music shops in the mall that had their singles organized by position in that week's Top 40, so once a record dropped out of the Top 40 I logically assumed there was no way to ever buy it anymore.  I was really bummed out.

• Like 2

Going slightly OT, but I remember back in the day going into several record shops trying to buy a new release single I'd heard on the radio. Every one had the same response: "Is it in the charts? We only sell what's in the charts" [1] Which led me to wonder "How the **** can it get into the the charts in the first place if people can't buy it anywhere?" 

[1] Or 'on' the charts, for American readers. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Going slightly OT, but I remember back in the day going into several record shops trying to buy a new release single I'd heard on the radio. Every one had the same response: "Is it in the charts? We only sell what's in the charts" [1] Which led me to wonder "How the **** can it get into the the charts in the first place if people can't buy it anywhere?" 

I was blessed with a local independent record shop from day 1 of being interested. Got myself a weekend pocket money job in a hotel kitchen. End of the afternoon I’d get paid a pound in hard cash out of the till.

Literally 50 metres ( 😇 ) away, en route home was ‘Christopher’s Records’. He had a giant book of all the new releases every week. I’d go down the list, pick two 50p singles, hand over my cash and he’d order them. Following Saturday, pick up last week’s two singles, read the list, pick the next two, hand over the money...

Would’ve been around about ‘78 / ‘79 when I ventured in to the big city without parents and found Spillers and realised there was a whole different league of record shop with exotic people and exotic  smells.

But yes, Woolies up town, sold the charts. So how do you get in to the charts...I guess that was the scam of record promoters and record buyers knowing what shops had a chart input. Twenty copies of Uriah Heep please Mr..

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

But yes, Woolies up town, sold the charts. So how do you get in to the charts...I guess that was the scam of record promoters and record buyers knowing what shops had a chart input. Twenty copies of Uriah Heep please Mr..

When I was a student, some friends of mine were involved in an infamous chart rigging scandal. IIRC, it was A&M trying to inveigle a Hudson Ford single ("Pick Up the Pieces", I think) into the charts. Unfortunately, my mates were a bit unsubtle, exactly as you say above - walking into chart-compiler shops and saying "Twenty copies of 'Pick Up the Pieces', please". The powers that be soon smelled a rat, and after one TOTP appearance, it disappeared from the charts, never to be played again, and the record company got fined. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 13:54, chrisp65 said:

So how do you get in to the charts...I guess that was the scam of record promoters and record buyers knowing what shops had a chart input. Twenty copies of Uriah Heep please Mr..

There was a BBC documentary the other month about it , was very  interesting ... you had dolled up blondes approaching DJ’s as they left radio one asking them to play such and such a record and give it some exposure , then you had people going Into the key music stores that were known to count towards the charts and placing 20 or 30 copies on the shelf and then buying them back ...obviously then owners didn’t mind as they got free singles to sell , repeatedly 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 13:31, mjmooney said:

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

There was a BBC documentary the other month about it , was very  interesting ... you had dolled up blondes approaching DJ’s as they left radio one asking them to play such and such a record and give it some exposure , then you had people going Into the key music stores that were known to count towards the charts and placing 20 or 30 copies on the shelf and then buying them back ...obviously then owners didn’t mind as they got free singles to sell , repeatedly 

I may or may not have been involved in "hyping" a few records in the past. The chart rules tightened up a lot over time, multiple purchases of the same exact product counted as 1, home town sales were marked down, all kinds of wacky rules evolved over time. It was quite precise. The instructions were down to how many records from each store were required to be bought.25 7" from HMV plus 10 12", then a smaller number from Penny Lane etc It was quite the science to get around getting caught. Geting caught meant heavy chart demotion. The records would then get collected and the bung paid over as long as the requisite number of records were handed back

• Like 1

Lord Bath was a total philanderer, but probably wouldn't deny ever sweating.

He also allowed the UFO Club residency at Longleat.

If all royal residences hosted club nights I think the UK would be a better place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Lord Bath was a total philanderer

He had some life, proof that some acid casualties can still perform and function to a high enough degree to get by in life (if you have the cash obviously)

Stoned one evening and wondering how to score his next bag of acid, Lord Bath said to a wifelet, I know lets fill the grounds with lions and tigers and charge people to come and see them, how they laughed at the stupidity of their own idea...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Blimey. Never had Honor Blackman down as that old.

She is indeed, I remember her still looking fit in that sit com in the 90s, and she must have been 70 then.

• Like 2

Just now, snowychap said:

The Upper Hand - with Joe McGann and Diana Weston.

That's the one. Always fancied a mother-daughter 3some with that pair ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â